Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

GSM vs. CDMA - Most Complete Article I ever seen.

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Tauro72, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Tauro72

Tauro72 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola SLVR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    * Cingular *
    Before anyone reads this, I think that if Sprint ran their wireless network at 800mhz like Verizon does. Both Verizon and Sprint would be the number 1 and 2 in the USA, and who knows where else.

Plz click the link and read on, this is really some good info, and please, don;t quote me on any, I did not wrote this originally, this is just for those who always wonder who might be better, or at least wants to know some of the history..

PS.. Those that claim that GSM is a newer technolgy and other things, please read it... :rolleyes:

http://denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/10/GSM3G.shtml

PS.. As things are going, not even in the near future, GSM will have an advantage because of their SIM cards. CDMA phones will have memory cards to do the same or similar to it. Once that starts happening, then we will all see where things really go.. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Tauro72, Mar 4, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  2. WiggyFife

WiggyFife still knows nothing!!!

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    interesting read... Thanks...

3. TKR

TKR Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    seems a few years dated. CDMA is very strong here.

But, GSM clearly also has a strong footing in the US with Cingular and T-Mo. And it is very popular for those that travel overseas.

4. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

First of all Sprint isn't going to have 800Mhz anywhere unless they buy the spectrum from the incumbent carriers like Verizon,Cingular, AT&T, US Cell, Alltel, etc. Next WCDMA (UMTS) works with GSM networks because is still uses the same core network and the new generation phones handover between the two systems. Also, alot of the problems DoCoMo was having at first have been corrected and there are numerous UMTS networks now on the air around the world, so alot of what is said in the article is very dated :rolleyes:

5. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    There is some incompatibility between GSM and W-CDMA--this hasn't changed. Yes, the network is the same, but the RF is used differently. W-CDMA has some characteristics of CDMA--it cannot share RF bandwidth with GSM. To run W-CDMA w/ GSM, you need more spectrum or to use less for GSM.

6. spezi

spezi New Member

At least the original author of the article doesn't even try to claim that he is unbiased... :)

Also, AFAIK the European states never passed laws against a technologie - they just offered licenses for a certain technology (I admit, the first sounds more 'evil', which probably was the intention of the author :) ) - and that was GSM, which was specifically designed (as European funded research project) to replace the patchwork of incompatible national standards. So if you know were Europe was coming from, then it makes pretty much sense that they didn't want to allow everybody to do what they want again, but to be rather more coordinated for the next step of mobile communications. And it worked rather well. The single standard created the mass market which drove down the costs and made mobile phones available for a large number of people.

I am also surprised with his claim that the European companies thought that GSM would be the end of development (at least he tries to give the impression in his article). Because I seem to remember that pretty early after the introduction of GSM it was said that a new standard is in the works that is eventually to replace GSM. Apart from that, it sounds downright unbelievable that a tech company might believe that they reached the ultimate point in development... :)

Well, all I want to say is, this guy sounds a bit bitter, so I would take his comments with a grain of salt. It is, however, absolutely true that GSM is older technology than CDMA. GSM was developed since 1982 - it's 80s technology. But it works for many people very well.

7. lordsutch

lordsutch Member

Note that Sprint-Nextel does plan to deploy CDMA in at least some of the "SMR" range that Nextel will be keeping after the spectrum swap. While this range isn't Cellular A/B, and existing CDMA phones don't know about it, it is in the 800-900 MHz spectrum, and new phones post-merger will be able to use it.

Combined with 10 MHz of spectrum in the PCS G block (not to mention the other spectrum both SPCS and Nextel have already for fixed wireless), Sprint-Nextel should be set for a long time.

8. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Orginally WCDMA was going to be GSM/TDMA compatible what he was getting at WCDMA can only be backwards compatible with GSM only.

Yes I think it is a very good article there is slant towards CDMA :( , the article needs to be updated GSM is doing tons better now in the US.

9. elroy

elroy New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6340i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Verizon
    Note that the article is from 2002.
    For the foreseeable future GSM seems to be the way, at least as Cingular sees it.

10. jrip

jrip Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost
    Thats because the GSM equiptment is much less expensive than CDMA. I have been told by one network engineer that GSM cost about 1/8th that of CDMA per site. I also wonder what this person thinks about TD-SCDMA. It has been/is being tested in 450mhz. And aparently it works. Time Delay-Sincronous Code Division Multiple Acess, maybe the next "big thing".

11. jrip

jrip Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost
    Sorry that Time Division. Dont know why I typed delay.

12. skyblu_82

skyblu_82 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V330
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless
    I get so tired of hearing endless CDMA vs GSM debates. The benefits either technology has over the other are within a stone's throw of each other. And both have their benefits the other doesn't have.

The key future feature is broadband data, and CDMA has its EVDO stuff, while GSM will eventually work toward W-CDMA. Both are reliable 3G technologies, and both are competitive against one another.

So really GSM vs CDMA is a moot discussion. If you argue over it, its arguing for the sake of arguing. I've had both GSM and CDMA phones, both offer plenty of quality.

What it really comes down to is coverage and service. Who has more towers? Who offers a better phone plan for the money?

These are the real issues. High speed wireless data is more a gimmick then reality at this point. Verizon is well positioned in the lead since its already launched EVDO in 30 cities nationwide, but if Cingular starts to implement W-CDMA, that benefit will drop. Meanwhile the coverage is poor. Most of the nation still runs on 1x CDMA data or GPRS/GSM data, that's where wireless data is right now. It'll be years before the networks have matured enough to be really usable. And who will it be really useful for other then a select group of business users?

So what is the purpose in arguing over technologies? I don't see one. Right now EV-DO does have a lead and its already launched. Verizon is the service of choice for this. But for voice quality, where do you go? Cingular has a much better network in many areas then Verizon, in other areas Verizon has much better coverage then Cingular. Some people don't like either Cingular or Verizon's price plans, and they rarely step outside Sprint or T-Mobile's coverage area. So why not go with Sprint or T-Mo? Sprint has fair and flexible, T-Mobile just has more outright minutes if you don't need mobile-to-mobile service.

Each company has their high spot, and GSM vs CDMA has little to do with it. I had far better quality of signal with T-Mobile over when I used SprintPCS before. Verizon has great quality as well for my area, and a far larger network then T-Mobile. So I've had good experiences with both CDMA and GSM.

To most consumers the real argument over cell service should be: how many cell sites do they have in my area, and what plans do they offer? Do they have good service?

Other then that, who really cares? GSM or CDMA, it'll work great. It isn't technology that's the problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    You're preaching to the choir here. We just like to argue about issues such as GSM v. CDMA just for fun. We usually tell the people asking which service to go with the same thing and throw in our own opinions.

Welcome to the forums, skyblu. I think you'll fit in just fine.

14. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well said, skyblu.

15. Tauro72

Tauro72 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola SLVR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    * Cingular *
    I think you asnwer was a bit premature, it happens that this days, Sprint had bought out Nextel, and they will have 800 mhz,, and they have also been experimenting with R-UIM/SIM cards..

So, now thanks to that, in the near future as stron as Cingular may look, they, it will not be easy at all to keep things up. specially since tmobile is loosing more and more ground.. :browani:

Anyway,, I am with cingular or in the process of moving to Cingular, I would had moved to Cingular completely by now if it had not been for my deployment.. :mad:

16. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Good answer, but look at the dates. The post you replied to is a year old. Lots of stuff happened in the past year.

-Jay

17. TurboDan

TurboDan Junior Member

Geez, this article was written in the pre-camera-phone-popularity age. I've had VZ, Nextel, and as of one month ago, Cingular. To me, the voice quality has been best on Cingular's GSM network. And as for data, I check a few sports scores, send a couple pictures, and download a couple ring tones. I still have a Nextel-powered Blackberry that is surely fast enough - and that's on iDEN!

As someone else mentioned, the ONLY thing that counts for most people is.... "Can I make a phone call and get clear SQ and not drop the call." Most people don't even know whether their carrier uses GSM or CDMA - that's for we geeks to discuss on forums.

18. jrip

jrip Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost

And that is the only thing that matter's in the end. Will my phone work or not?

19. Tauro72

Tauro72 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola SLVR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    * Cingular *
    hehehe,, I know of the dates, I was been funny.. hehehe... I was the one that started the thread.. :browani:

20. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wow! The second fastest growing carrier in the US losing ground? LOL!

21. Tauro72

Tauro72 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola SLVR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    * Cingular *
    Ok, I might had not been right on my statement..

Then my question is: What is the current placements in regards to what amount of users does each company currently has?

I have been trying to look for this info, but I seem to only find parts of it..

Cingular = 55 mil or higher ??
    Verizon = ??
    Sprint/Nextel = ??
    T-Mobile = ??
    Alltell = ??
    US Cellular = ??

Any other big players and their amount of users? :)

22. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    VZW is probably at 53 million by now.

23. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410

Ok, you got me on that one. I've been served...

-Jay

24. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    As of the end of 2005 here are some #'s.

Cingular = 54.1 Million
    Verizon = 51.3 Million
    Sprint/Nextel = 47.6 Million
    T-Mobile = 21.7 Million
    Alltel = 15 + Million
    US Cellular = 5.4 Million
    Suncom = Less then 1 Million

Hope this helps and until they come out with 1st Qtr 06 results they won't talk too much about how many customers they have.

25. bgsales

bgsales New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6255i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Bluegrass Cellular
    suncom still exists?? where??

26. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

NE Tennessee, North & South Carolina:cool:

27. Tauro72

Tauro72 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola SLVR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    * Cingular *
    WOW!! Suncom should had been bought out long ago..

28. bgsales

bgsales New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6255i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Bluegrass Cellular
    i thought suncom was owned by at$t?????

29. Tauro72

Tauro72 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola SLVR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    * Cingular *
    they were just partners and just partially owned or something like that..

30. sproutland motors

sproutland motors New Member

Okay, I'm almost entirely new to this whole thing but I would like to learn some more to help sell these hunks of plastic to old people who fall down a lot (I work at RadioShack). Anywho, this is what I've found out thus far about the Wisconsin market for cellular phones.
    About the small companies: Cellcomm exists only in eastern Wisconsin and is a family owned business that is unwilling to sell out to another carrier. It is my belief that this is what is stopping most small cell companies from selling out (Sun Com). They get a lot of money from the carriers that roam in their area and they are much too happy with sticking it to the man to benefit those in their region.
    In my western Wisconsin network there are basically three companies that are established and either growing or maintaining: Sprint, who with newly acquired roaming agreements and the GPS services of Nextel, has become very popular with customers who live within the "major cities, major highways" bubble but like to use their phones off the beaten path as well. Alltel, who now has EVDO capabilities on its network giving it an edge rurally, historically had outdated phones but is currently competing with Verizon in this department (not at the same epoch yet, but getting there). Cellular One, which is GSM and hemmorraging customers due to poor customer service in the area but still boasts a large northern Wisconsin coverage base.
    As has been said, the main thing customers want when they buy the phone is the feeling that if something goes wrong, which it shouldn't, someone will hold their hand and make it stop hurting. They also don't like talking to foreigners or people with accents in general. As for the data networks, it is very useful to be able to use the phone as a modem. A co-worker of mine has been using his for years and paying less than most for it.

"You've got questions...I'll call someone and try to figure it out."