Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

GSM sound, CDMA sound?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Jerro, Jul 26, 2005.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Interesting story. I had a similar experience. Thanks for the input and welcome to the WA Forums. - Viewfly

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Swisscom does have a very fine network. They are an old carrier and have invested a lot into their network. Still today, Swisscom covers places in CH which no other carriers cover.

3. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    that's weird. I've never seen it take that long, nor do I often get NO DATA on my CID.

4. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    sometimes in this area, it does take a few comparable land line rings to get the cell to ring. I notice this when I forward to my cell. One explanation I got from the local network people is that the site may be busy and processing time has slowed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

The data spill on a landline dumps on the first ring.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

If you monitor (not off hook) an incoming call to your line, and you are provisioned with caller ID, you can easily hear this. It sounds like a fax blast, very short, but that's it.

7. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

It may display to your device while you hear the second ring, but the data spill takes place on the first ring, sort of at the end of the ring cycle. :loony:

8. They never gave an explanation here-- just that it's supposed to take that long for it to "register". But its annoying that it displays "No Data" at times-- probably like 20% of the time it says that.

9. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

No recent exp. with GSM Tried it several yrs ago with Cing. Cancelled ONLY due to coverage concerns. But: Voice quality equal to landline; no cell yell tendancy that seems to be caused in part by all this CDMA noise cancelling crap; allows natural dynamics to voice and realism that seems lost n CDMA; :loony: and wow,....who can argue with GSM battery life....blows the doors off CDMA handsets.

10. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410

Until you activate bluetooth, then you're right back down there where you started...

11. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    True enough on battery life, although CDMA noise cancelling is an asset in many environments. You are obviously mad at Verizon, I am not crazy about their not filling holes around here; however they have one thing over the others and that is the phone centers where you can walk in and get a broken phone replaced.

As to sound, I have experienced good and bad sound on GSM both talking to a GSM phone and making test calls from one. It is not robotic but it most often seems FLAT, with little tone range. Sound ok in a quite environment, less good with background noise. Good luck.

12. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Yeah,.....I guess I am mad. 2 x's now slammed into 2 yr contracts when promised 1 yr. You're right though about the phone stores. And, if you;re happy with them, new every 2 is pretty darn sweet.
    I walked by a former ATTWS now branded Cing store, at a mall the other week,.....took a peak inside. They had like no phones on display, and the employees all looked like their pet turtle just died. I know what it's like to be on the wrong side of a so called merger, and I have empathy for these folks. Hopefully it's just a transition period.........
    (that's part of the mad part) However, I did find in my short 13 days of using Cing GSM several yrs ago (Nokia 3595...pretty low end set) that even with 1 bar indicated, calls were great for quality. I'd slink around in the switchroom and get in between a bunch of equipment racks, all kinds of stuff generating all kinds of possible RF noise and junk, and it was fine.

13. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    IF you drive around, boat or fly while using your phone, please check out my
    GSM, CDMA Best on the move thread, here in This forum. I want to see which holds calls better at speed.

14. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You can also hear it if you have Call-Waiting-ID and have an incoming call while you are already on the phone.

15. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It can't be good if there store had almost no phones on display & they had no customers. I stopped buy my local Cingular store the other day & they had quite a few customers buying phones & alot on display, but they can't compare to the Verizon store down the highway, I was told they were the #1 store in NJ in sales and service and way up there in the east coast. Today I had to stop in the Sprint store to follow up on a violation & they were very busy as well, and they are across the hwy from the Verizon store. The Manager said the 1st week of September they will be displaying the Nextel ad's and possibly the phones.

16. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Verizon kicks butt in marketing - although Cing is much better now.
    Trbl w/ VZN is, eventually, they all start believing their own BS.
    Yes, they are very successful in sales, but the poor old ntwk is so incredibly overloaded.....you can hear it for sure in the call quality.
    Uniformity in training seems to be non-existent,....otherwise, why would 3 or 4 diff. reps., tell people 3 or 4 diff. answers to the same question ? I know however that this is not limited to VZN.
    Personally, it appears to me that mega mergers are eliminating choice, and driving prices up, and that overall, ntwks need more capacity.

17. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Mergers are sometimes a good thing, its nice that Verizon, Cingular and Sprint, T mobile etc. to some degree have woven a national network through mergers and deals. It is not so nice that one MEGA eats another causing LESS
    competition. Think: EXXON Mobile, Chevron, BP/ Amoco, TEXACO etc.
    Are gas prices cheaper? Dont think so. Lets see what happens with wireless mergers.

As for SOUND, Around this area, I have noticed more background HISS on all of my Verizon CDMA phones lately. Less echo more hiss.

18. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree that Verizon seem to be very good at advertising, and that Cingular has come along way with it.
    My daughter was saying today that 2 of her friends have Verizon & they want to switch to Cingular, mainly because everytime they talk on there cell phones after 5-10 mins there calls drop, and the Cingular doesn't, and 1 of them is about 1/2 mile from a tower. Maybe the marketing is also getting into there heads as well.

As for the Mega Mergers, I do agree with you on that, what started out sounding like a good thing, now that it's happened has me wondering if it was such a good thing, especially after Cingular changed there plans to less minutes & more money. I guess we will see what happens with the Sprint/Nextel merger and if the competition does cause some more pressure on Cingular and hopefully Verizon will keep the heat on with there wild qtrly adds, to keep us the customer in a better position.

19. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I honestly think that after Sprint/Nextel this is the last megamerger we will see. I don't believe the feds will allow another one to happen unless it is between regional companies in two different areas that don't overlap. But let's say a Verizon/Alltel or T-Mobile/Cingular or Sprint/Alltel merger won't even be considered by themselves.

Although, I could see a T-Mobile/Suncom merger possible. That's neither megamerger, nor it is in overlapping where it potentially reduces the number of competitors.

20. Bugwart

Bugwart Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung SCH i760,
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SKT, Verizon, China Mobile, EPlus
    I agree with you. The Feds typically do not like fewer than three strong players in a particular market. We have than now with the Sprint-Nextel merger.

Do you how combined Sprint-Nextel compares with T Mo in numbers of subs?

21. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

God,.....that dreaded VZN echo.....anything BUT THAT !! But yes, better than it used to be in my region.

22. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    The echo suppression units are working ok recently around this area, the louder background hiss is more recent.

23. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    What is this new background HISS on Verizon lately. No its not the phones; anyone heard it at medium to loud volume?

24. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Can you describe that hiss a little better?
    I've not had any problems in UT/CA/NV/AZ recently.

25. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Yes, but not well in writing; it is white noise sound in the background within the side tone or talk track. Think of the ocean faintly in the background when no one is talking or at louder volumes. HISS.

26. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Do you think your phones might add to the problem?

27. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    No; as mentioned it is on all of them, also on other makes on friends phones. It seems to be a recent issue, like echo once was.

28. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    This may not be the final word on this old subject; but someone here did mention that CDMA phones did filter background noise well. Yesterday I was on my VZW CDMA talking to a Cingular GSM, Nokia user who was driving. The air conditioner over shadowed the conversation of his GSM phone. Once they turned down the fan it was better, still more background noise than conversations with other CDMA phones. Opinions?

29. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    CDMA is known to filter out background noise much more than GSM. With GSM the person I talk to most of the time knew I was driving, but after I switched to VZW CDMA they never know I'm driving. They think I'm lying on the couch at home, unless I tell them otherwise ;)

30. Bugwart

Bugwart Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung SCH i760,
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SKT, Verizon, China Mobile, EPlus
    CDMA includes noise reduction technology. This is not a characteristic of the CDMA air interface. It is a method of improving spectral efficiency.

With CDMA (including wCDMA), the less background noise that you transmit over the air, the more bandwidth is available for voice and data.

Noise reduction could be added to TDMA networks also (which includes GSM).