Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

GSM NETWORK

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I AM A BIT CONFUSED BY VOICESTREAM PLAN. IT IS A 100% GSM NETWORK. NOW THEY CLAIM THERE IS VERY LITTLE AREA OF NON COVERAGE BY TYEIR GSM NETWORK, BUT WHERE IT DOES EXIST THAT MEANS EVEN IN AN EMERGENCY YOU HAVE A DEAD PHONE.

INTERESTED IN ANY FEEDBACK BY VOICESTREAM MEMBERS AS TO HOW OFTEN AND WHERE (MAJOR CITIES) I COULD EXPECT THIS AND SPECIFICALLY IN NEW JERSEY.

THANKS

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    your assumptions are correct. The GSM digital network does not cover everywhere. In NJ it covers many areas, all tha major highways, metro areas, etc. Check the coverage maps for more details, or stop by a local store and ask for specific information on towns. I have no problems along 295, NJTP, GSP, and in the northern NJ area (bergen, passiac, etc) when I travel up there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Coverage is concentrated to the major highways in South Jersey as well as the most populated areas near Philly and Atlantic City. That's why no one will have problems along 295, NJTP, GSP, 78, etc. However, going into the smaller roads far from concentrated population and highways, your only option will probably be analog service. In North Jersey, however, coverage is pretty much everywhere you go with the exception of the hilly northwest part of NJ where barely any technology exists and there was only analog coverage the last time I was there about a year ago. That means your GSM phone will certainly be dead in those remote areas. I am sure our official Voicestream representative Mr. Aiwapro will have more interesting feedback on the subject.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. zeeker

zeeker Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    I live in the old bridge area and there are some black holes that one must live with. Between exit 120 and the raritan toll signal is very weak. Also on rt. 35 between s.amboy and freehold service is spotty. To move up north in Newark (Ironbound section) along the main st (Ferry St.) There are black holes all over the place. I love VS and spoke to a CSR not to long ago and they stated that T-Moble was spending around 2 billion on towers and that 25% of that was dedicated to the NYC/NJ area. I know when to place calls or when to answer calls depending of my location. But for the most part I am satisfied with VS.

5. Fullstrength

Fullstrength Junior Member

571 from hightstown to Princeton has little or no service, althought Cingular is not much better.

6. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Well I have Voicestream and love them just like many of the people in this thread. I however live for from Jersey and can't really give any first-hand experience in these areas, but I would really listen to these posters that are from the area. I'm sure they know what they are talking about. I will be going to Jersey sometimes in July, then I can give a little bit of first-hand experience in the area.

7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    zeeker when you say exit 120 are you talking about the GSP? on Rt. 35, 9 and GSP in those areas TDMA is very strong.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

VS and Cingular just plain old SUCK

9. aiwapro

I'm not even going to argue with these stupid anonymous posters, because they are too scared to show some identity and continue to give stupid false information.

Voicestream does not suck.

I'm going to develop a way to track these anonymous posters back to who they really are, and then tell everyone who they are. I believe some of them may be actual members.

10. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
  11. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Chris, I agree....these anon posters are getting worse. Half of all the threads are by them it seems like.

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Just ignore them guys, we're not here to retaliate. We are here to help people with questions. I've always said from the moment I joined that everyone should be required to register prior to being allowed to post messages just like other forums.

13. aiwapro

That is a very good article 'Bobolito.' I learned alot by reading that, even though I skimmed rather fast through the base station stuff. I will go back and read that too though.