Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

GSM in northern NH?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by kilarney, Feb 1, 2005.

1. kilarney

kilarney New Member

I am thinking about trading in my Verizon phone for a Unicel GSM plan. I am pretty familair with Unicel coverage in northern Vermont, but don't know much about GSM coverage in NH. Specifically, I was wondering about coverage in the Littleton/Bethlehem area down 93 to southern NH. I am assuming that southern NH has good coverage, but it seems like US Cellular has many more towers in northern NH than Unicel does.

Should I stick with CDMA, or will the GSM coverage be as good?

What do folks who are familair with the area think?

Thanks!

2. waywith

waywith Junior Member

At least for now, I would stick with CDMA. Unicel started selling GSM phones in the past week or so, suggesting that their GSM system was up and running throughout Northern New England, but the word is that their GSM system is really not ready for prime time and they are having major problems keeping it up.

-way

3. Gideon H

Gideon H Quase Três Anos Com WA!

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    I was in NH last summer and my GSM phone (AT&T) only got marginal coverage in downtown areas (Concorde, Nashua, etc.). Like waywith said.... stick to US Cellular for coverage up there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Cingular GSM User

Unicel!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. waywith

waywith Junior Member

If you check Markson's New England Cellphone site (www.cellguru.net) he has received info that Unicel is having problems with the new GSM coverage, and in fact has taken it down someplaces, temporarily. Apparently, not yet ready for prime time.

At some point in time, PERHAPS GSM coverage in the rural areas of Northern New England will be equal to the current CDMA coverage. But that time is not yet here.

-way

6. dmarkson

dmarkson New England Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T, TMO, USC, BOOST, VIRG, PP
    The Unicel problem area I heard about was Springfield VT. I have someone trying out Unicel in Keene this week.