Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

GSM in Buffalo Yet

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Perseus, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Perseus

Perseus New Member

Hello all. Been a *lurker* for awhile. This is my first post to the wireless forums. My job involves setting up our company sales force and executives with cellphones. They travel around the country as well as abroad. The companys HQ is in Buffalo NY.

I've heard rumors (newsgroups/forums) that Voicestream GSM service is in place along the NYS Thruway, even here in the Buffalo area. Does anyone know when Voicestream plans to offer service in the Buffalo Metro area or perhaps they are already installing sites and are ready to turn them up... that would be nice because our executives would have *seemless* coverage both here and abroad... Also, I'm interested in hearing if Voicestream plans on opening up some stores here in the Buffalo area...

Thanks in advance.. .

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Voicestream has not launched the Buffalo coverage although they are launching soon. However, even after they launch Buffalo, I don't think they will cover the rest of the NY Thruway that is currently dead at least for now. Right now, they cover the NY thruway from NYC to Syracuse including Albany and Route 81 including Ithaca. However, going west of Syracuse on the Thruway, coverage dies. If you need business class seamless coverage you should consider Verizon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Someone already reported the Thruway was covered. Not sure which forum I saw that on - maybe howardforums.com

Also, Buffalo was added this week to the VS online store (but all of their coverage maps in the store are broken). So they are getting very close.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ok, so I guess they haven't updated their maps yet. Here is a link to a national coverage map including distinction between areas that are covered by Voicestream and the areas that have GSM coverage but not by Voicestream:
    http://shop.voicestream.com/upl/market/coveragemap/00.gif

5. MaTTK

MaTTK Junior Member

Yes, Voicestream coverage now goes beyond Syracuse. My friends phone worked fine all the way and in Rochester when he came for a visit.

Matt

6. Guest

Guest Guest

that map is not updated

7. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    The coverage is up and has been since late May.

-SC

8. jason

jason Member

Uh -

Thruway coverage is up, but it is spotty. There is a tower which may be turned on by now, but as of last week was still off-line at the LeRoy exit of the Thruway. There are a few more towers which cover the Batavia, Darien, Clarence portion of the Thruway, but my phone did drop VS signal altogether and lock onto AWS' network as I was going down the road. I expect this will be fixed soon.

The Syracuse to Rochester portion of the Thruway is much better now, with several new towers in Palmyra and Junius Ponds filling in some of the portions which were spotty last time I was up there a few months back.

Rochester is up, with strong coverage throughout Monroe county. However, when I took the lakeshore parkway back from Niagara Falls, I got NO VS signal from about Youngstown NY to about North Greece NY. I did, however, get quite a few Rogers and Microcell signals from across the lake. I would suspect that VS Rochester buildout is probably limited to being within the 390/490/590 loop with bulges in Henrietta and Pittsford.

Buffalo was fine (through the little I traveled through it). I-290 and I-190 were covered up to the Lewiston Bridge N of Niagara Falls.

jason

9. MaTTK

MaTTK Junior Member

Jason:

Not suprised you didn't get anything on the Parkway. I'm in Webster and my friends phone wouldn't work at my house, but did work on 104, (two miles South).

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Whatever you get just be absolutely sure it works across Every single inch of the Thruway if you are forced to drive from Albany to Buffalo. Anywhere outside of Syracuse or Rochester (like Utica or DeWitt or down the path in Ithaca), where they pee on the hamburgers in the rest stops and clean the ice cream machines with toilet brushes (I'm not making that up); if your car breaks down you may be able to make your own home version of the movie Deliverance.

Fultonville, now with 3 motels! An All-America City!!

Squeal like a pig! ....off to make the drive tomorrow [​IMG]

11. Guest

Guest Guest

The NY Thruway is a TOLL road. I'm sure somebody can notify these road maintenance people since only they can dispatch a Tow Truck.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

You never saw "Deliverance", did you? How does a toll road change potential ___ rapings from the locals??

You sure got a purdy mouth

13. Guest

Guest Guest

A TOLL road means AAA cannnot tow a car. It has to be dispatch by those TOLL Operators. It's good exercise to walk to the nearest REST AREA though then look for a PAY Phone.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

You are 100% incorrect.

NYThruway policy dictates that those in disabled vehicles REMAIN IN THEIR VEHICLE AND DO NOT WALK ALONG THE THRUWAY TO BE HIT BY A MACK TRUCK OR BUTT SPELUNKED BY A LOCAL. Tie a white rag to your sideview mirror (or just take off your shirt and use that, you'll fit in better with the locals topless anyway) and wait for a trooper to pull up. Or get a mobile phone that works everywhere and call for help rather than waiting at 3AM on the side of the road.

People, do not listen to that person as what he is suggesting is wrong. And dangerous. Despite how dangerous sitting in your car may be - as then you're just a sitting duck.

http://www.thruway.state.ny.us/safety/safety.html
    Read this:
    Disabled Vehicle
    Do not stop in the travel lanes. If possible, move well off the roadway, or to the next exit or other safe location. New York State law permits motorists to move vehicles to a safe spot following an accident or breakdown. Tie a white cloth to the left door handle or radio aerial. Help will arrive soon. You may make your own repairs, but please keep yourself, tools, parts and tires off the pavement. For your own safety, stay with your vehicle. It is illegal to walk along the Thruway.

Towing
    Charges by authorized garages for towing are based on initial hook-up and subsequent miles towed and are competitive with off-Thruway prices.

Any more advice you have for people besides telling them they don't need a decent mobile phone on the Thruway in the middle of nowhere (like Montezuma Swamp)????

..."Next rest stop, 44 miles"....WALK THAT AT 4AM!!!! (that's 22 miles if you break down halfway between in either direction)

15. Guest

Guest Guest

This is a good practice for the upcoming New York Marathon.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

..."Next rest stop, 44 miles"....WALK THAT AT 4AM!!!! (that's 22 miles if you break down halfway between in either direction)

KOOL... If you don't want to walk try running. The New York Marathon is 26 miles. You're 4 miles short but if dodge those cars you will make up for the 4 miles. Then your chances of winning the NY Marathon is great...

17. Guest

Guest Guest

>>The New York Marathon is 26 miles

True dat!

And anyone stuck with making the Thruway drive would be wise to invest in an XM Radio to escape from the Country "music" and KRock screaming noise which comprises 98% of Thruway radio

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You can either do that, or postpone all your trips until T-Mobile has good coverage all over the Thruway. I don't know about you guys but it seems to me that trading good coverage for having the latest and greatest technology in town kinda defeats the purpose of having a cellphone in the first place.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

>>trading good coverage for having the latest and greatest technology in town kinda defeats the purpose of having a cellphone in the first place.

YES!!!! As I hold on to my 8260 before switching to the new Cingualr NYC plan whily patiently awaiting the release of the 6340 GAIT [​IMG]

btw love your Orange logo, as a former Orange Pay-As-You-Go user it was the first thing I thought of when I saw Cingular's logo [​IMG]

20. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    hehe...that's the beauty of Photoshop for you. I make my own logos. Both companies have a lot in common: the same color logos, GSM, roaming agreement with Voicestream, etc.

21. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It was reported on howardforums I beleive that the Thruway coverage is now complete.

You can see the map

here.

22. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Cool

Jack