Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

GSM in Boston

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi everyone, was hoping I could get some recommendations from you guys. I'm going to Boston University this fall (I live in San Francisco), about a month from now in the very beginning of September. I plan on getting a new phone from Boston, and basically I want to get with a GSM network, and probably a t68i. I am looking for information about AT&T's GSM progress around here - I've read that it is supposed to be up and running around September. If it does get up relatively soon, how reliable would should the new network be? How is the coverage, both locally and nationally? How would it compare to VoiceStream's GSM network?

Here in SF AT&T still hasn't gotten their GSM act together. My dad has been waiting a long time (probably over a year or two now) so that he can get a phone that works around the world. I'd like to know what the progress is like in Boston, any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    At&t's GSM is MUCH smaller the voicestream. IF you want GSM go with Voicestream

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'm going to have to agree with Jack if you want a GSM phone go with T-Mobile (VoiceStream) they have a much larger GSM network then AT&T does right now.

4. MVL

MVL New Member

Both AT&T TDMA (soon to be GSM overlay) and Voicestream are in most places students will want to be here in Boston. But if you plan to frequently head out to the surrounding areas for skiing or beaches, you may want to get a CDMA or TDMA phone as Verizon and Cingular have far more expansive rural coverage here in MA.

-MVL

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I'M SURE THERE ARE STILL PAY PHONES IN THIS AREA..

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Sweet, I'm going to BU too! I posted a thread about a week earlier asking for suggestions on ATTWS GSM/GPRS service as I'm heavily interested in the Nokia 8390 and remaining with ATT since they're the best in my current residence in Phoenix, AZ. I'm originally from SF, grew up in Daly City. Will be attending BU's School of Hospitality Administration this fall. Quite a few coincidences, eh?

7. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    Probably but that somewhat eliminates the purpose of a wireless phone. Also, please turn off the caps lock.

8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    T-Mobile is THE GSM network.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

ATT GSM network is supposed to go live in Boston on Sep 10th.

10. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Let us know what you decide to do

Jack