Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

GSM/GPRS/EDGE/......ETC.

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by QueDog, Oct 12, 2002.

1. QueDog

QueDog New Member

Hi everyone.

I have Cingular, will we be able to make regular phone calls in the future with the same handsets we have now? When GSM goes 4th or 5th generation. Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. Carajo

Carajo New Member

Depends how you define 3rd, 4th or 5th generation [​IMG]

We can say that GSM is 2G and GPRS is 2.5G and if the GSM operator decideds to goto EDGE you might consider that 3G or they can go directly to UMTS (3G).

In the future you will need new handsets for each jump..... just as you needed for GPRS and will need for EDGE and UMTS.

3. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Senior Member

Yes, you will need new handsets for the new data features, but you should still be able to make regular voice calls with a present-day plain-vanilla GSM handset, shouldnt you? I think that was the real question he was asking.

4. Carajo

Carajo New Member

Oh sorry......... In a GSM network and voice only you will be fine with today's handsets.... but not for the new data services (depending on the service)

As for 3G woth UMTS (WCDMA) you will need a new handset though....

5. QueDog

QueDog New Member

Thanks i wanted to make sure the i could use the 888, and 6340 for at least another 5 or 6 years.

6. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

I'd be impressed if you get 5-6 years out of your phones anyway. It's likely that they'll either break or you'll be enticed by a nice offer in a couple years, but that's just my opinion [​IMG]

7. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Uhh, I don't think 3G (W-CDMA, and definitely not EDGE or UMTS) will take 5-6 years, well maybe with Cingualr it will. It won't take that long with T-Mobile.

8. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    T-Mobile needs spectrum first, so does Cingular, the only advantage of a Cingular - T-Mobile merge is they might have enough spectrum to piece together a 3G system years from now once they convert the TDMA to GSM upgrade to EDGE.

Spectrum Spectrum, you need a lot for WCDMA

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

The Europeans appear to be having a damn tough time sorting out the logistics, implementation and deployment of WCDMA. AT&T just announced plans to ease up their schedule for WCDMA.

What is slowing things down besides the daunting technical task is the market desire and demand...which has been soft for full-blown data services. Do we know what T-Mobile USA's plans are for WCDMA? They'll need more spectrum.

10. ehcruzan

ehcruzan Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Don't hold your breath especially considering the FCC's track record.

11. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I understand all of that, but you can't tell me it will cost less for T-Mobile to upgrade Cingular's network from TDMA to GSM/GPRS, and then to 3G; than it would to just upgrade T-Mobile's own network fomr GSM to 3G. Right now, T-Mobile has nothing at all to do with TDMA and I'm sure they don't want to. It's a thing of the past.

12. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

So what do you think is the expected timeframe for T-mobile to have their own towers/cellsites/network built in California? Of course AT&T's GSM network isn't as good as T-mobile's but aren't you the least impressed with how fast they've covered the major cities? Imagine how good their network will be when and if they aggressively add GSM 850Mhz?

Like I've been saying all this time and in recent postings...Of course T-mobile wouldn't want to share the task of a TDMA->GSM migration but I'm sure they would love to have the expansive coverage that 800/850Mhz spectrum provides right now and plus GSM equipment providers are pushing out GSM 850Mhz equipment right now, including phones that will support this.

13. spyder22

spyder22 Junior Member

Right now the idea within the GSM alliance is to still offer GSM service while the carriers offer EDGE/WCDMA. Nokia just came out with a phone that is both WCDMA and GSM capable. We will start to see alot of these since WCDMA and EDGE networks will most likely only be built in large cities. So even in the future you will still be able to use your old GSM phones, at the least to make a voice call. If you want the cool features and the high data speeds..then you will have to fork out the bucks for a new phone.