Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

GSM coverage in De?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Airb330, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    How is Voicestream's coverage in DE? Looks bad to me, you really have to cover more than just the highways here. Will Cingular or ATT boost the GSM coverage here?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

One would have to be an idiot to use GSM in Delaware, or in Ithica, New York, for that matter.

3. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Don't listen to these anonymous posters. I'm not exactly sure about how Voicestream is in Deleware, but I know that they are just fine in New York.

4. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Aiwapro, check out VS's map in DE, looks like they may have a total of like 4 towers in the state. I hope T-Mobile adds more, or I'll just have to wait for Cingular GSM coverage, as of right now I am very happy with Verizon anyway.

5. aiwapro

Here, this GSM World Map of Voicestream shows an in-depth picture of where Voicestream has coverage in Deleware.

6. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    good map aiwapro. A couple years ago coverage was worse b/c nothern DE had Omnipoint Coverage, and southern DE had coverage br Sprint Specturm (which became VS). Last year VS connected the two areas.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks for the good map! I am glad to see they cover Clayton.....(mom lives their) but it's out more in the country.....if they just added a little more rural coverage and filled the BIG gap in the southern area, they'd be a great choice! Maybe when Cingular is here (GSM Cingular), between the two their will be good coverage! Hope so!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

You actually think Cha-Chingular is gonig to build new GSM towers in the area, LOL! They're simply going to apply the California scheme of using Voicestream's infrastructure and lure you into a network filled with holes wider than Cher.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

If you want guaranteed coverage in Delaware stick with Verizon or TDMA, but by all means take another look at that pitiful network map before making your decision.

10. aiwapro

It's just too bad that Sprint didn't stay with GSM, then maybe I would be one of their customers, and they would be the first Nationwide GSM carrier. Voicestream probably wouldn't have a chance then, unless Sprint suffered from the same over-capacity problems as they do now.

11. jason

jason Member

Geez - you guys are harsh. - 3 towers, ha.

The important news for Delaware is that Cingular is now up and active with GSM in that state. I have located a dozen or so Cingular GSM sites in Delaware, but I haven't tried that hard and its only been really recent. These are not VS towers - and the person who told you Cingular was going to implement their California/NYC arrangement has demonstrated his lack of a clue.

Voicestream -

Actually, I have physically located at least 67 Voicestream towers in the state of Delaware. There are probably more in the Wilmington Metro area which I have yet to locate. I can tell you exactly where in Delaware you can expect coverage. I would suspect that something like 95% of Delaware's population is covered by VS service.

1) Pretty much all of Wilmington
    2) Dover (all over)
    3) Lewes to Ocean City
    4) Newark/Christiana
    5) US-13 / DE-1 from Newark to Dover
    6) DE-1 from Milford to Lewes
    7) US-13 North from Salisbury to Wilmington

US-113 is NOT covered by voicestream - boo.

Cingular TDMA south of Wilmington is pretty spotty, which really suprised me - it still retains sufficient infrastructure for a big old cellular network which has people using bag phones, but not sufficient tower density to allow for calling on my little Nokia 8260. Verizon had many of the same problems, going off to analog and dropping out. Sprint PCS, actually worked suprisingly well, mainly due to their strategy of ensuring all the major N/S routes through the state were well covered. However, as is the case with Sprint - probably once you left the highway pavement, you'd lose coverage.

ATTWS may get GSM as part of their Philly upgrade, but I suspect that it will take time. Their TDMA Service in Delaware is OK north of the canal, but once you go south of there, you're outta luck and roaming on Cingular.

that's the truth - from someone who's actually been there.

jason

12. aiwapro

Good inofrmation Jason; Now will you consider Voicestream Wireless (T-Mobile) Airb330?

13. aiwapro

Wow Jason, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable. Would you like to join my Voicestream community/group? Here is the link: Voicestream Wireless Community

You can exchange info via pictures, documents, message boards, and on-line forums.

14. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wow Jason good info. I think cingular TDMA is still decent down south, at least on 5165's and 3360's (thats what my friends have). Alas, I wouldnt ever go with Cingular, they pissed me off, and continue to do so by treating my friends like shi*. But if VS can use their own towers and Cingular's, then yes VS will be an option for me. BUT.....I will not get a new phone until a year from now (when I am 18....yes it's my B-day!), and besides I am very happy with Verizon (I've always had excellant coverage.....down south it's more like 2-3 bars....but that's ok...I can still make a clear call). Sprint is out, they do not cover enough rural MD areas which I use when going to DC or some other place. [​IMG]

15. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Another question, Jayson how can you tell who's towers are who's? I have never seen one here with a logo on it or anything, so how would you even know it is Cingular.....let alone Cingular GSM? thanks...

16. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have the same question for jason. How do you know they are Cingular towers and not Voicestream? Is Cingular erecting separate GSM towers or using the same towers where they already have TDMA?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yay! I am back home from Vegas. That map of GSM coverage in DE is odd. They put Denton on there...ok....and Clayton instead of Smyrna (where I am now) its bigger sister city? Very odd map, but informative. Still waiting on Jason's reply.

18. jason

jason Member

How do I know that they are Cingular towers?
    Easy.
    Nokia Netmonitor - with my trusty 5190, on which I have activated Netmonitor, gives detailed screens which display the network, and site ID for the site your phone is currently registered.

I was in DE last night and logged several new sites. My next place to check is in NJ across the river from Philly. I got a few Cingular signal pops at the int of I-95 and the Blue Route which were not from the batch of DE sites which I had picked up previously. My bet is somewhere like Deptford NJ.

Other sure determinants of the fact that these are Cingular (and not VS) sites are:

1) The CID (Cell ID) for the sites is exactly the same as the BSIC (Base Station Identity Code) which the TDMA towers are broadcasting. Thus, when I went up to site 5016 (TDMA) which I had located last year with my GSM phone, I received a very strong signal for a GSM CID which matched this.

2) The frequency block which I was seeing towers in was the PCS D block which is owned (according to my dated FCC records) by Comcast PCS (which later became Cellular One, which later became Cingular).

3) I already know (pretty much) where the VS Sites are, and these are newly popping up on my phone.

4) When I do a manual bandscan on my VS SIM, Cingular comes up as an option.

Actually, its kinda cool over the US-40 bridge in Havre de Grace Md, I did a manual network select and got 4 networks - this is a very infrequent occurence in the USA.

1) VStream (Home network from Philly Buildout in Perryville, MD)
    2) VoiceStream (Washington Baltimore Buildout from Havre de Grace, MD)
    3) AT&T Wireless (Havre de Grace northern extreme of DC Buildout)
    4) Cingular (Southern Extreme of Delaware (probably Philly) buildout - Perryville, MD)

I live in Bucks County North of Philly, and the Cingular tower by my house has sprouted three prong arms which have yet to be filled.

I would bet that this is for future Cingular towers.

Jason

19. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Cool, wish I had that on my 5185i! Is there any website or something, to figure out what carriers are on this ONE tower. It is out here near my moms house (Clayton), the tower is actually in blackistan, I went right near it last night, only 2 bars of strength. if it was Verizon, it would have to be 4 right, or 3!? Out here VZW is king, no matter where you are you get at least 2 bars, so thats cool. I just dont see it as a VZW tower. I was wondering who is on it.....they'd have good coverage out at my moms house which is important to me. It looks like 2 carriers might be on it.

20. jason

jason Member

As far as a website to find out what carriers are on a given tower - well no. If there was, it would be pretty easy locating towers.

BUT - based on what you told me, I surmise that the tower you are talking about is Northwest of the intersection of DE-6 (aka Millington Rd) and Longbridge Rd (which switches at this int to DE-42 aka Blackiston Rd).

According to my somewhat dated (but probably correct) sources, this tower is owned by the spectrasite corporation, which is a large owner of cell phone towers which lease these towers back to carriers. My data show this tower having Nextel as being located on it, but someone else may have colocated there as well.

My bet is that it is either Sprint or VS. If you are interested on finding out, go up to the base of the tower (assuming no large dogs are present). Heres what to look for.

1) Verizon - Base of tower will have a prefab building which is either grey or brown. Most often these sites will have a Verizon Wireless Sign on the Door of the building

2) Cingular - Same as Verizon - Cingular's buildings are almost always grey.

3) Nextel - Similar, but I've only seen brown buildings. Nextel sites will have 2 distinctive antennae coming out of the building which
    have a plastic antenna shaped like an onion mounted on a 5 foot stick. Nextel sites usually have a sign on the door.

Here is a Nextel site - this is from the tower I think you were interested in.

http://docs.spectrasite.com/Scanning/UploadedDocs/LA008_20000530_201053.JPG

4) Sprint PCS: These sites have no prefab building (save in Camden NJ, where if they didn't lock it up it would be stolen), but rather have 2 or 3 metal boxes which are mounted on metal rails. On one of these boxes there will be a 1800 number to call for assistance.

5) Voicestream: These sites are the smallest. VS uses a single box which is about 4 feet high.

http://www.americantower.com/OASISP...lngSiteId=3567&lngTowerId=-1&intATFileIndex=9

here is a picture with the VS box in the foreground and a Sprint set of boxes in the background.

There is some variation on this, but this should help you figure out what else is on this site.

If I'm down that way anytime, I will look myself.

jason

21. jason

jason Member

22. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    ^ Cool thanks. I know the *3001#12345# trick and the field test but I don't get the info presented, I hope that helps!