Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

GPS your kid?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by SprintEnigma, Mar 11, 2006.

1. SprintEnigma

SprintEnigma New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung 920
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT
    Sprint just added a new feature, for 9.99 a month/phone you can use the GPS on every phone to locate your kid...
    I know I would of been happy for the phone, but ripped if I found out my dad was tracking me.. lol
    Whats your thoughts?

2. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    well i guess like you its great for parrents, but sucks for kids, :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mykie

mykie New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung SCH-A920
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, T-Mobile
    If I'm the one paying the bill, I think it's perfectly OK to know where my phones are, ESPECIALLY if it's in my kid's coat pocket.

4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I agree. Parents have a right, if not an obligation to know where their children are at all times. I think this is a great idea. If I had kids I would certainly be glad to pay $10/mo to know exactly where they are.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Itchiee

Itchiee New Member

Great feature from a safety standpoint. Bad feature from a privacy standpoint. What I mean is it's nice to know where your family and friends are but not good for random people to know your exact location, like ex husbands or abusive people and such....

6. mykie

mykie New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung SCH-A920
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, T-Mobile
    Naturally, this probably wouldn't be available to the general public, probably just a password-protected website.

...and any govt official who doesn't feel the need to be bothered with getting a warrant :censored: .

7. SprintEnigma

SprintEnigma New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung 920
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT
    No if you use it you have to be on the same account and the phone your locating will receive a text says "you've been tracked"

8. Samsung A900 User

Samsung A900 User New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    So you have to be on the same account and same service?

9. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: Nokia6682/2.0 (3.01.1) SymbianOS/8.0 Series60/2.6 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Youve been tracked,thats funny.

10. iworejungleboots

My Phone:
    Sanyo 9000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    I do not like it as I see the potential for a bad relationship to develop and the disgruntled person victimizes the other. If you have access to the device just long enough so do the setup, then you can become a stalker. Also I can see the potential for Sprint to recieve millions of calls because the children weren't where they said they were, or better yet, where the GPS information said they were, because the children got wise and realized that if they left their phone in the place where they "said" they'd be. Then they went to the place where they had intended to be all along, thinking that they could get away with, and now Sprint is their babysitter??!!!

11. wheresmyfreakinpresent

so, I can see the benefits, and overall it's a good thing especially if you don't trust your kids. That would be so sad for the parents, though, :( Hopefully someone in a bad relationship would have their eyes open just enough to see they're being watched. It would be sad to watch on the news, "today a sprint customer was killed because their partner found them on the family locator". MAN, what a liability! our days of privacy are truly numbered. :mad:

12. rackbreaker

rackbreaker New Member

As a parent now, I think it's a cool feature even though my kids won't be using cell phones for several years yet. I can understand the privacy concerns, but if it sends the "you've been tracked!" notice, I guess that helps. It would would be kinda freaky to get a message like that on your phone, though!

13. SprintEnigma

SprintEnigma New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung 920
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT
    As I said though you'd have to be on the same account. So I being on a differerant account couldn't track you... & again it does tell you when your being tracked. If you don't want an ex knowing your business then get a transfer to your own account.... or remove them from yours..... besides I'd think if it were life or death I wouldn't even have to mention that. :D

14. sprintcustomercare

sprintcustomercare New Member

What happens is your Dad the sender sends a request to locate the phone, You the reciever MUST HIT ACCEPT first before it will show the location, however law enforcement can always track ya down without a request. You can always ignore it, and say you left your phone in the car. (smile)

15. Darkdashing

Darkdashing New Member

do they have, "track my girlfriend" too? :p

16. sprintcustomercare

sprintcustomercare New Member

Now ya know she is true to you, no need to track... but if ya wanna.. sure.