Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Got the new Samsung A500 with sprint

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by skadoo323, Aug 8, 2002.

1. skadoo323

skadoo323 Junior Member

Hey guys I just got a new samsung a500 with sprint but their launch for 3g isnt until sunday for sure. cant wait to try out all the new features. also on sunday some new plans are out.

2. Nick22182

Nick22182 New Member

Where did you buy it? How much? How big? So far do you like it?

3. skadoo323

skadoo323 Junior Member

i got it at the sprint store in my area, in baltimore, MD. it was for $300 but i sold my sanyo 5150 on ebay for $320, so the price didnt matter for the a500. so far i like it alot, its a cool phone. i wanna see hoe the 3g stuff will be.

4. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You were able to sell a used 5150 for $320? Isn't that above retail for a new one?

5. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Damn you did well, $320 is quite a bit to sell a used phone for.

6. skadoo323

skadoo323 Junior Member

yes that is above retail, surprisingly people pay anything for the stuff off of ebay

7. SprintTechRep

SprintTechRep Senior Member

good deal on the 5150. Maybe ill sell mine too on ebay after i take a look at the a500. Not sure that is the smart thing to do, but the a500 is very stylish. Might just have to sacrifice a little reception for it he..he. Im surprised they sold you the phone at a sprint store. Our store just got some 3G phones in, but were told not to sell them until the launch.

8. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

we were told we could sell the 4900 but could not be activated till sunday when the store opens.

one manager had the a500 and 4900 side by side in a fringe area overnight and while the a500 sucked for voice calls the 4900 worked excellently. good ol sanyo quality. but the a500 screen is nuts.

9. SprintTechRep

The a500 sucked for voice eh? Cant say im surprised. Ill have to check it out myself when i go into work tomorrow. Ill probably end up sticking with my quality sanyo. I really like the way a500 looks though *sigh*

10. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    A little off topic but when is the Kyocera 2345 coming out. I thought it would have been in with the new phones but I guess not. [​IMG]

11. skadoo323

skadoo323 Junior Member

when i was at the sprint store i saw the new color screen sanyo and also another color screen samsung other than the a500, also a smaller samsung that was not color. those are supposedly the 3g phones. they told me that they can sell the phone but now put me on a 3g plan until sunday, which i didnt mind. as far as recpetion goes i'm really impressed with the a500. i hated samsungs b/c of the lack of reception i got in my area with them, that why i liked my 5150 b/c it always had good reception. although the 1500 impressed me alot, the voice quality is great, and i live in an area where its hard to recieve reception from any service provider but the 1500 works great, even with one bar of recpetion in my house, the calls are crystal clear and the phone gets recpetion everywhere in my house. the design is also very stylish. the blue led also gives it a nice look. the color screen is very clear compared to my 5150, i think it has a better resolution or color quality. so far i'm very much liking this phone.

12. IdiOTeQnoLogY

could have been the one a500. ive read tons of posts on other samsung phones where about %25 of the users love their reception say its better than ever while the rest dont like it. i think they have quality control issues.

and btw what makes the a500 LCD better is that it is TFT-LCD.........the a500 and the Hitachi will have the TFT-LCD screens.......the rest of the colour phones at launch will have regular non-reflective LCDs

13. SprintTechRep

glad to hear you are enjoying your samsung a500. As with any phone, some will love it, some will hate it. Maybe ill cross my fingers and hope to get a good one if i decide to buy it. I always think of samsungs like fords. I actually got lucky when i purchased a ford tempo. Mine was good, while others exploded with no good reason (a little exaggeration). I think samsungs are decent phones, but not great. I guess when samsung used its financial resources on styling their phones, they didnt leave enough in the budget for quality. Just my oppinion [​IMG]

14. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Any info on the replacement for the sanyo 5150

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. IdiOTeQnoLogY

november i have heard from a couple people. TFT LCD and external picture caller id i have also heard. i have also heard $400 but these are all rumours so far.......but the one fact is that it is in the works coming out later this year.

16. skadoo323

skadoo323 Junior Member

yeah i guess its a matter of personal opinion, but i do suggest that people should check it out. just dont shoot down a company just because in the past they had bad products. i think the a 500 def beats any other samsung phone that sprint has ever had. if someone is looking to get a color screen phone and doesnt mind paying around $300, then check the a500 out. by the way i like the ford analogy, luckilly one of my friends who is a fanatic about his ford focus isnt a member. he definately would of flipped out if he heard anything negative about ford.

17. SprintTechRep

i finally got to play with the A500 today. It is such a nice looking phone with an amazing LCD. Picture quality is much better than that of sanyo (which is to be expected since its a newer phone). Cant say its a good or bad phone yet since i have no data to go on because it was just released. But I will say that i did a comparison with my sanyo 5150 in my office (a very weak sprint spot). The samsung had 1 bar of signal, while the sanyo 4900/5150 had 3. Test calls were made. The A500 performed ok. The sanyo was still a little bit better (as expected). After the comparison, ive decided at the moment I will be staying with my sanyo 5150. It has proven to be quality and dependable. I have to keep reminding myself that alhtough the samsung looks cool and has good graphics and games, the purpose of a cell phone is for TALKING!

18. Guest

Guest Guest

i bet the replacement for the 5150 will be to die for....any info on when it will be released?