Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Google Voice WIFI Calling

Discussion in 'ANDROID Phones, Tablets and Devices' started by rjniles, Apr 26, 2018.

1. rjniles

rjniles Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Wondering if anyone has feedback on the Google Voice WIFI Calling Beta. I have used it for a week or so and the voice quality has been good. My interest is caused by the apparent soon to be discontinuance of the AT&T 3G MicroCell. I live in a cellular dead zone where no carrier has a signal so a change of carrier will not be an answer. AT&T stopped selling the MicroCell at the end of 2017 and the consensus seems to be that they will stop supporting/turn it off by the end of the year. A cellular booster will not work either as I get no signal even standing on the roof of my house (don't laugh, I tried it).
    GV-WIFI-C, requires a separate telephone number assigned by Google and in my case not in the local area. As I have had my current number for 20 years it is not something I want to change. I have linked my current number to my GV number so that outgoing calls using GV show up on caller ID as my current number. So outgoing calls are fine, the issue is incoming calls. I can call forward my current number to my GV number and I receive the call just fine as long as I am connected to WIFI. The problem is if I am connected to a tower, I don't receive the call if it is forwarded to GV. So when away from WIFI I must cancel the call forwarding. Going back and forth between CF and not is tedious and if I forget to invoke the CF before I get out of tower range, there is no way to do the forwarding.

I realize that AT&T also has WIFI-C but it requires that I buy a AT&T branded phone. I am too cheap for that and they do not sell phones that I like. My wife and I current use Motorola phones (she has a MOTO X G2 and I have a MOTO E4 Plus).

So my question is and I realize that most people will not have the same issues that concern me, does anyone know of a workaround that will hep me? And if you a an AT&&T MicroCell user, what are you plans for continuing service?

2. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Nexus 6P
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I assume you have data/internet on your phone, correct? and the Google Voice WiFi beta can't use the data/internet on your phone? only WiFi?

That just seems odd if I am reading your post correctly

Is there a feedback program for Google Voice where you ask about adding calling using your data/internet on your phone when you are away from WiFi?

3. rjniles

rjniles Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I think I have found the solution to my issue. MY carrier AT&T has a call forward option
    "call forward when unreachable". I keep my AT&T number permanently call forwarded when unreachable to my GV number. When I am home I am unreachable as I have no over the air signal, so it CFs to GV and I get the call on the CV app via my WIFI. If I do not answer the call it goes to my GV voice mail and I get a text saying I have a voice mail. Works for me.

Here is a link to a discussion I am having on the AT&T Wireless forum about this subject:
    https://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/MICROCELL-Discontinuance-Alternative/td-p/5500949/page/2

palandri likes this.
  4. rjniles

rjniles Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Palandri, Thank you. I changed my setting in the GV app so I now get incoming calls either via the WIFI or over the air data. I can leave my AT&T number permanently call forwarded to my GV number. I get the calls via WIFI when I am home and via over the air data when I am out and about.

palandri likes this.