Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Apple Goodbye Android

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by M in LA, Dec 20, 2016.

1. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Don't get me wrong, Android is great (for those that prefer it). After having Android and iOS side by side for most of the year, I find iOS far superior for me. It does more of what I need and have grown accustomed to. It does it well and it does it cleanly. iOS just works really well, IMO.

Verizon offered a killer deal on the iPhone 7 Plus, and with my Galaxy S7 Edge 1/2 paid for, I was eligible for a trade-in upgrade. The S7 Edge has been a fantastic phone. I can't say enough of how good the phone is. The ONLY problem is it's Android.

Since I have a Mac and iPads, it made sense to go full Apple. I love the integration and interplay between all the devices, something Android lacks. Android just isn't for me anymore for this and several other reasons.

I'm actually paying less per month for the iPhone 7 (per Verizon's deal) than I was continuing to pay for the S7 Edge. It was just too good to pass up.

I will never badmouth Android. It is what I primarily used from 2010 to 2015. Now after owning an iPhone, I can't go back. The great thing about both mobile OS's is, for as much as they are similar, they are both also very different. Buyers have choices and it keeps the business fresh and innovative, IMO.

If Android works best for you, more power to you. To each their own.

I'll post a review of the iPhone 7 soon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    viewfly likes this.
  2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Both the OS's have matured very nicely. I hear people from both switch-camps saying the same things. Those on IOS sick of it and those on Android sick of it. At the end of the day, I suppose if the OS is functional enough to provide for your needs, that is all that is important.

That does bring up one reason I like Android more: There are more free apps than on IOS.

3. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I agree with you on this one. Having both at the same time has proven it not to be an issue for me. But for others, it can be quite a significant factor.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Congrats on your new iPhone 7 Plus! I love mine. Only occasionally do I wish that I had the smaller screen 7. ( mostly when I'm busy bending over doing some repetitive task)

Having gone from Nokia non smart OS to iOS with the iPhone 3G, I never looked back nor sideways to Android. I saw it's early versions as a toyish imitation. Android is definitely grown up since then, but as you say, with my other devices being all Apple, the integration is a major feature addition, as is the advanced smoothness...it just works.

And the service/warranty/available in store help is phenomenal.

That's how it has worked for me, and this is no attempt to discredit any Android user and their choices.

And even though the web stats say that iOS/Android USA % users are evenly split; with a few exceptions all my peers are iOS users and that is also a plus feature!

With most apps free, 99 cents or under $5, I never felt that was expensive! Gosh for our PC or Macs we'd pay $100 or more for a single piece of software! That's hundreds of apps equivalent! But it is an a small amount of money, and another reason to stay with iOS.

The camera is superb on the 7 Plus and the twin lens.

As an aside , I was intrigued with the new Moto modules. I tried the snap on Hasselblad lens in Best Buy but couldn't get it to work. Cool idea but I'm not sure I'd carry it or other modules around.

Enjoy! Looking forward to your review. I believe I was the first iPhone user on WA, and I remember the enthusiasm I had writing that review on the 3G. I still feel that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 viewfly, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  5. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    @viewfly makes a very good point, up to Ice Cream Sandwich (3 years, 4.0) Android was definitely lacking. It took iOS less time (2 years to version 3.0) to get it to a reasonable point. Apple is also being a lot better about keeping useful features between iOS versions, Android has a tendency to introduce and remove features with what feels like a wild abandon at times.

Where Android does excel though is the ability to run old apps. We have some legacy apps that don't see any new development, but are still being used by customers and I swear we haven't touched the Android ones other than to fix a critical bug here or there. Their iOS counterparts though seem to break annually with every major iOS release, causing us to scramble and rebuild them.

6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Congrats on deciding one OS vs the other. I am envious, I am notoriously unfaithful to a particular OS. I too have a mac and and an iPad but every few months I get bored and try out an Android or a WP in a phone or the Surface in a two in one.

I sold my Surface 3 about 6 months back promising myself that I will stay with Apple, I haven't convinced myself of this though, I was looking at the Pixel just yesterday. :D

Having said that, I am sure you will enjoy the 7 Plus and I am very much looking forward to your review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Thanks viewfly! So far I really love the phone, just as I did with the 6 plus.

I also agree with you about most good iOS apps being free. IMO, it isn't something Android has a huge edge on. And I have seen some really good iOS apps that cost a little, more so than with Android. Regardless, I will say the iOS counterparts are much better than Android (IMO, again). There are some apps for iOS, Android doesn't have and some Android has, iOS doesn't.

Apple's seamless integration of its products sold me quickly. I love being able to send text messages on the Mac via my main iPhone line. I can answer and respond (and beyond) on the iPads. This is something I hoped Windows phones could do with the PC. Windows just isn't there yet. I was very disappointed Samsung devices have no integration with each other (the S7 Edge and a Galaxy Tab A). They only share the manufacturer. The best part is when I get a phone call and ALL the iOS devices (and the Mac) ring. It cracks me up because they ring out of sync with each other. It sounds awesome, though.

I will always appreciate Android. I just won't get a phone with it anymore. Even if the S8 is a masterpiece of a device.

Lastly, I used to like Moto devices, but after seeing them in person and toying with it, I wasn't impressed. The S7 Edge blew them out of the water, IMO. Even with the great specs on the high-end Moto device.

So far the 7 Plus is a fantastic winner. Once I get more used to it, I will do the review.

viewfly likes this.
  8. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I felt the same way when I decided to get the S7 Edge. I had enjoyed Android for so long, I just couldn't completely give it up. But since I began using the Samsung, side by side, with the 6 Plus, I had the chance to see how two top-of-the-line devices compare with each other. For me, I found the iPhone to be far better than the Samsung because of the OS.

The S7 Edge has the most beautiful display, next to the iPhone 7. It was a great phone and I really enjoyed have a good Samsung phone again. But the last few months, I found my dislike for Android growing. Dislike compared to iOS. Not an outright hate of it.

Now I have all my Apple babies together and I really like it. Having used both a Windows and Android device at the same time as iOS, it gave me the opportunity to see how they all function. iOS won me over, hands down. And by a huge margin.

It really is whatever works for someone. I have to say the biggest convincing factor to go all Apple came after I got the Mac. Now that I've gone Mac, I can't go back (to Windows, that is). :D

9. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Congrats @M in LA. If you have all apple, you may as well get their telephone. You have to get what works for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

M in LA likes this.