Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Good reception in Bergen County (Ramsey), NJ?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by planet_first, Sep 29, 2005.

1. planet_first

planet_first New Member

Hi,

My contract with Verizon (can you hear me now? unnhh what didya say?) is about to expire in next 2-3 weeks. I am fed up with the terrible reception of Verizon in Ramsey area. Am looking for suggestions to switch to another carrier. Pl. post your experience if you are familiar with Bergen county coverage.

Thanks,

RD

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    What phone are you using with Verizon right now?

3. planet_first

planet_first New Member

I have a Moto 120 E.
    I intend to upgrade our phones as well when we sign a new contract.
    Any recommendations for a good phone are appreciated. I am more interested in a phone that has good reception and signal than other bells n whistles (camera, video, etc.).

Thanks.

RD

4. ushutup

ushutup Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Go with the Motorola v276. Great reception.

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    This was my response to planet_first via e-mail:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I would also agree with Bobolito, It's either VZW or CIngular...
    & if VZW isn't cutting it there, try a free trial period w/ CING to see if it's any difference.
    Rt 17 is great signal for both VZW & Cing in Ramsey.. & keep in mind that they both may have panels on the same poles/tower, so reception may be the same in your problem area with either carrier.
    .. Try Cing to see if it is any better or worse ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. planet_first

planet_first New Member

Around Wyckoff Avenue and Oak Street, Pine Street area. Appreciate any feedback about reception there.
    I have aluminium siding on my house. Would that be a source of problem? In my house the reception is almost non-existant!
    How about the phone itself? I know the Moto 120E is getting long in the tooth. Would replacing that resolve some problem?

Thanks again all.

RD

8. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Most Carrier Sites in this area are in the Franklin Turnpike Buildings.
    Since they mostly don't share Rooftops; you may get Lucky
    with some carrier that has theirs close to your House.

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wyckoff Ave & Oak St: Is that in Ramsey?

My house has aluminum siding as well and I don't see that making any significant difference in the 850mhz band. However, there is a noticeable drop in 1900Mhz signals while indoors, such as Sprint's, T-Mobile and Cingular's own 1900Mhz channels. But it doesn't seem to make any significant difference in Cingular and Verizon 850Mhz channels.

One recommendation you should consider is replacing your phone. Those Motorolas 120 series are horrible.

10. planet_first

planet_first New Member

Yes, it is in Ramsey. Good to know that the siding may not be a problem.
    So it seems the problem may be with location of my house. I am considering a trial period with Cingular, but if I wind up in Verizon's arms, any suggestions for a decent phone from this list? http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverview

Thanks a lot.

RD

11. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    RD, for the best reception on Veriozn, try something like a V275 or 276 or whatever, or a V710. Both have awesome reception. YOu have 15 days to try the new phones, if that doensn't cut it for you, then try another carrier.
    Those Moto 120's are old and not always the best, reception wise, so I'd try a different one first, because that might solve your problems.

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Planet-first, I drove through Wyckoff Ave until I got to Oak St. The whole area is pretty much bad for indoor coverage with Cingular. Although my test call didn't drop, the audio was clear and I had coverage through the entire area, the signal was fluctuating between -102dB and -90dBm which is 1 to 3 bars and this was outdoors. So I guess Cingular is as bad as Verizon in that area. For the looks of it, that is a large residential area so I really didn't see any possible location for a tower nearby. This pretty much rules out all other carriers from having any better service if they have it at all. I also noticed the Cingular tower I connected to appeared to be about 2 miles away from the Oak St. intersection.

13. planet_first

planet_first New Member

Bobolito,

Appreciate you taking a ride thought Ramsey.

So ... if Cingular may be as bad as Verizon, indoors, then perhaps it may be a good idea to switch to Cingular ... that way I at least get free phones.
    What do you think? Because from what I understatnd, I won't get free phones from Verizon. I have a 1 yr contract and I can't see getting locked up for 2 years with one carrier.

Thanks.

RD

14. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You should get a phone for very cheap with Verizon if you are wanting to do a one year contract. Call Telesales and see what they can do. I'd suggest a low end Motorola phone if reception and money are key. With a newer Moto or good RF performing phone, your reception should improve at least a little

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    My only concern is that when you are looking for good reception, usually the "free" phones and the low-end models are not going to make you happy. However, I've seen cheap Nokias outperform the best Motorola phones when it comes to RF.

16. planet_first

planet_first New Member

Some online sites offer amzaing phones for free. Amazon has a free RAZR with 2 yr Cingular plan. Problem is Amazon doesn't port numbers to cingular yet.
    Which sites would you recommend? I haeard that wirefly service is really bad.

Thanks.

RD

17. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You can try Letstalk..com. They are pretty good.