Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Good GSM providers in the Madison, WI area?

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by aetherspoon, Jul 8, 2008.

1. aetherspoon

aetherspoon New Member

I saw the thread down about T-Mobile's roaming in that area and I was wondering what would you all recommend?

Right now I'm on Verizon and absolutely hate it - especially the fact that it is CDMA and thus impossible to use overseas. I'm going to be moving away from where I'm living now anyway, and my contract has been up for a few months now, so I figured it is as good of a time as any to switch providers (and get myself a phone that isn't shattered and doesn't drop calls left and right).

Really, beyond the occasional trip to Europe, I don't use much in the way of phones or a plan. Heck, I don't text message and I have the minimum plan from Verizon usually without even coming close to going over my minutes.

Before knowing where I was moving, I was looking between AT&T and T-Mobile, but I'm not so sure T-Mobile is all that great of an idea for Madison and I'm not a big fan of AT&T's plans.

Suggestions?

2. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well, T-Mobile doesn't even work in Madison. They don't provide native coverage there, it's all roaming.

AT&T just activated 3G service in Madison, so if you get a 3G phone, you will get voice quality near to what you're used to on Verizon. So that's an idea . . . .

Sprint and Nextel both provide service in that area. I would avoid Nextel at all costs, but that's just me. However, Sprint would be a good option if you like CDMA voice quality. It appears, by Sprint's coverage maps, that they cover the area pretty well.

Then of course, there's Verizon. They provide service in Madison, but if you aren't happy with them, don't go back. However, it looks like they cover Madison pretty well. You'd also be eligible to get a new phone through them.

There's also US Cellular. You would get similar voice quality and service that you get with Verizon, except the plans probably are cheaper. Also, you may roam more if you travel alot because US Cellular doesn't cover as much of the US as Verizon does.

Lastly, there's Einstein PCS as well. They are a GSM provider operating a PCS (1900 MHz) network in the area, but I'm not sure how good they are. I looked at their website and it doesn't appear as though they have a great selection of phones. If you're in the area, maybe you might wanna check them out.

So, in my opinion, I would probably try out AT&T or Sprint if you were looking to switch. AT&T more if you wanted to travel overseas. But, if you are happy with Verizon's service, you could just go into a store and buy a brand new phone like the LG Dare, LG Voyager, Samsung Glyde, or something like that.

3. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's

ATT will give you the best voice quality and speeds (and probably coverage there) based off their 3G there. They also of course offer great plans that include Rollover and a bevy of innovative devices.

Really im suprised Charlyee didnt jump in here first :D

4. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Have you tried the regular wirelessadvisor.com site? It shows what carriers are in your area.

5. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well it doesn't always reflect who has a network built in an area. It only shows who has a license or spectrum to do so. For instance, in my town, it says that we would have Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Cricket. However, we have none of these. We only have AT&T/Dobson, Nextel, and Thumb Cellular.

6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Verizon is not that good in WI, being PCS only. Knowing that you are not a fan of AT&T I am going to suggest them anyway. I have been with them for a long time and never had a problem in and around Madison area. I am definitely a big fan of them as far as voice quality and reception goes.

As mentioned earlier Einstein PCS is another alternative, my T-Mobile phone always roamed on them in Madison.

If you don't mind staying with CDMA, then if there is US Cellular offered in your area, I would go with them over Verizon anywhere in WI.

Hope this helps :)
    LOL, I did now. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. aetherspoon

aetherspoon New Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    Looks like AT&T is my best choice (as Einstein Wireless has some really high roaming charges for leaving Wisconsin, which I'd do probably about once a month. No local provider for me, I guess) if I want to go international ever. Blargh, and I really didn't want to have to deal with their International Calling mess. Still, has to beat Verizon's (where you have to request a GSM tri- or quad-band phone to borrow while you're overseas), and at least AT&T has a nice phone selection.

Now hopefully I won't pick out another Lemon Phone like I did with Verizon... :)

8. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I travel internationally and also call and text internationally. I am not quite sure what your experience has been but all you need to do is have them enable International Roaming and Long Distance on your account. You can get reduced rates internationally if you travel a lot and take the add-on plan.

I realize you are not much into data, but just in case you want to check the weather in Madison in sitting in some Pacific Island Beach in January :D, you can subscribe to the International Data Plan for a month. I usually take the 20 Meg for $24.99 during my travel month.

Good luck, and let us know what phone you choose to go with. :)

PS: You can usually get you your phone unlocked immediately for use with a local SIM, although they do have a 90 day rule. They have been known to overturn that if your travel plans are prior to that, since you are a new customer I believe you would atleast have to wait until your 30 day "Buyers Remorse" period is over.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...