Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Good basic touchscreen?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by kjo, Jul 8, 2010.

1. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    So since I'm prepaid I have to buy my phones full price or on ebay,etc.
    I'm looking into getting a decent touchscreen phone. Nothing to fancy, but was thinking of either the Nokia Nuron, Samsung Highlight, and a new LG one that just came out- Sario? something like that.
    Of course I also love the screens on the HTC hd2 and the Mytouch...but those will be much more $$$

Any thoughts or feedback on these phones? Should I avoid Samsung's??? My hubby's Trace seems to do much better than his older Nokia,etc.
    I did go in and look at the Nuron. The screen seems skinnier than the others-- but better color. 1.67 million colors,etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    As far as Samsung goes, if it's their UI, AVOID like the plague. I wouldn't trust it. If you get a Samsung with Android, you might have better luck. I dislike Samsung something fierce, so I'm pretty biased against them. The Samsung Vibrant is T-Mobile's version of the Galaxy S series. It has Android and is probably the only Samsung I would consider. It isn't out yet, so if you can wait, this might be an option, though it is more high-end than your looking for.

If the Nokia Nuron is affordable for you, go for it. I am a big fan of Nokia. The only thing is, if apps are of interest to you, I'm not sure how good their app store is, but if it allows you to add 3rd party apps (like the ones for Windows Mobile), that may make up for a lack of selection at the Ovi store (Nokia's app headquarters).

LG GSM's have normally left something to be desired. It doesn't look like the Sentio has the Android UI. I'm not sure if I'd trust LG's GSM UI.

My recommendation would be the Nokia. Go with your heart on this one. Good luck! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I wouldn't get any of those IMHO. They are all bottom end phones that will have cheap parts, and poor touch screen & preformance. I would search eBay or Craigslist for a original myTouch 3G or the newer 3G 1.2/LE version which will cost the same as those three phones you mentioned new. And you will get a well built phone with a nice responsive screen, and Andoid which is so feature and app rich. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks budney. I'm continuing to look and "educate" myself. I will hold out for one also with a capacative screen. The my touch was my original thought I just can't buy it directly from tmobile as since I'm prepaid and don't have a "data" plan they won't even let you buy the phone. personally I think that is silly- but I'm not them. Thanks again...

By the way--- I see you mention HTC hd2 in your profile. Do you like that one? or prefer the MyTouch?

5. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks... :)
    Out of them all- the Nokia Nuron was the most appealing to me. The only thing it's a resistive type touchscreen and that makes me wonder if one day the screen will just fail to work after awhile. Being prepaid my phones have to last for me for awhile. I haven't had a new phone since 2005, so I'm behind in the world. I'm seriously spoiled by my Ipod Itouch though and the easy of that "capacative" screen and the free text programs with the swype qwerty keyboard. When I have to use my phone now I find myself going ARRGGHHH everytime I have to hand peck out a letter- LOL
    So that is my original goal for getting a better phone. I guess if I'm lucky enough to find a Nokia for 50 bucks or so on ebay I have no right to complain if it just keeps working one day down the road.......

6. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; HTC Magic Build/EPE54B) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I do like the HD2, the hardware in it is awesome & the screen is amazing. You are dealing with WM though,which is slowly dying out. Also the phone is very large. It took a bit for me to get used to. Someone with small hands may not be so lucky. The mytouch is nice, Android is awesome. It is easy to use and customize. And the amount of apps & games is mind numbing. The only issue is the volume is quiet on the mytouch, other then that it is a nice little phone. The screen is very sensitive too, I'm typing on it now.

I do have my HD2 on eBay, and may be putting my mytouch on soon. I'm looking to get the Vibrant, best of both phones in one. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    That's cool :). I read about the Galaxy. Looks like a awesome phone.
    I tested the phones at tmobile a little bit. The volume seemed okay on the my touch. Well on par with what I'm used to. I shouldve tested the slider. Although it'll be awhile before that one will inexpensive enough for me on eBay. 375 new to me for the my touch and 500 for the hd2. Of course that is only if they would
    sell them :p

makes me wonder though. My itouch is capacative screen I would assume if the Iphone is.
    My friend got the new HTC EVO with sprint. Beautiful screen!!
    I even thought about getting a iPhone knock off of eBay -cect phone but it sounds like more hassle than it's worth.

The mytouch looks the most promising although I've seen some older samsung also. Might be worth it more to just wait awhile. I know when I was on a regular plan getting a new phone wasn't a big deal but with prepaid kind've hard to justify it to myself if that makes sense. Almost feel guilty about it. LOL.

Thanks for replying:)

8. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Oh so many answers

So the issue now is..... If I get a Tmobile Mytouch phone it must be Rooted to avoid HAVING to have a data plan and or finding someone with a tmobile plan and data plan sim to set up my google account. But then I see where it may not work anyway. BUDNEY has been so kind to be helping me and I totally appreciate it!!!! Budney you are so helpful :)

I'm wondering if the dang phone will work at all. I don't see how it's a big deal to have to have the stupid data plan stuff. All I'm wanting is the voice, text and the wifi to work. Yes I know their are tons of things on the mytouch that without data plan I will be missing out on--however I truly want it for the size and the loudness/music,etc. I don't have any friends locally that have a data plan on tmobile and I sincerely doubt that if I went into the store that a rep would do it for me right???

Any suggestions? lol I'm at a loss and once again bow down to the knowledge of the forums.

By the way---- BUDNEY I see you got the Galaxy!!! Do you like it so far? It sure looks beautiful in the pics I've seen of it!

9. harry009

harry009 New Member

nice review thanks for sharing. i get more idea about Nokia Nuron.