Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Gladwell: In 50 years, people will forget Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Jay2TheRescue, Jun 10, 2012.

?

What do you think?

1. Yes, Gates will be remembered, Jobs will not.

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. No.

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Not sure.

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    (CNN) -- Best-selling author Malcolm Gladwell, no stranger to provocative opinions, is at it again.

During a recent interview in Toronto, Gladwell said that people a half-century from now will revere Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates but will have no clear memory of his longtime tech rival, Apple chief Steve Jobs.

"Of the great entrepreneurs of this era, people will have forgotten Steve Jobs. 'Who was Steve Jobs again?' But ... there will be statues of Bill Gates across the Third World," Gladwell said. "There's a reasonable shot that -- because of his money -- we will cure malaria."

Of Gates, whose foundation has given more than $2 billion to causes around the world, Gladwell said: "I firmly believe that 50 years from now he will be remembered for his charitable work. No one will even remember what Microsoft is."
    READ MORE...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I agree with the author. Here's my take on it... Rockefeller, Carnegie, and Nobel were all successful businessmen, but they're not primarily remembered for that. They are now primarily known for their philanthropic gifts they made to society. It is my belief that eventually Steve Jobs will be forgotten, but Bill Gates's philanthropy will be remembered for a long time to come.

Steve Jobs didn't invent the cell phone, computer, or the graphical user interface. He just made them easier to use. (BTW, bonus points for anyone who can remember WITHOUT looking it up)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I'm not really a fan of either, and think both will wind up just a foot-note in technology history :p

Actually, when I think of people associated with great technology achievements (not companies, but people), it's hard to think of anyone in recent history. I think of the "real" inventors, like Marconi, Tesla, Herz, Edison, Popov. Those guys changed the world. Gates and Jobs basically re-packaged and sold other peoples ideas.

In recent history, it's hard to think of anyone who really "changed the world". I like Marty Cooper and his Bell Labs/Motorola story. But Ericsson in Sweden also developed the same concept at around the same time, so it's hard to say who gets the credit exactly. But Marty turned out to be a nice "poster boy", so I'll go with the flow and give him credit ;)

Otherwise Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linux and open-source community should be given alot of credit, as Linux can be found in just about every computing device today (including Steve Job's equipment :browani:). Yet hardly anyone talks about him, because he basically gave his "invention" away for free. Mark Shuttleworth, who donated millions to build and promote Ubuntu is worth a mention as well. but Jobs and Gates? No way. They are businessmen. How many famous CEO's does anyone remember after 10 years? The only one I can think of is Henry Ford, mainly because of his ideas (assembly line) and quotes "You can have any color car as long as it's black." (<-I think even Steve Jobs stole this concept :p)

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Steve who? Oh, Jobs as in shipping jobs offshore?

2 people like this.
  5. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

IMHO, this is a tasteless article with no thought given to a man who at 56 years died way before his time. :(

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

6. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Speaking of which, has Apple or Steve Jobs made any donation to the field of cancer research? Only a few months after Jobs dies Apple announced a $10 billion annual dividend payout (against Jobs wishes of re-investing the money), but I have not heard anything about any charitable donations? With Apple sitting on $500 billion, and their founder dying early of cancer, you'd think this would be the perfect time for Apple to donate something to cancer research :confused:

7. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

There is no way of knowing whether Apple or Steve Jobs himself donated any money to cancer research as a lot of people do make anonymous donations including large corporations like Apple.

Not to be a Debby downer here, but this whole topic is depressing to me. I've stated my opinion above, so I'm done with this topic now, sorry. :(

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.