Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Gingerbread

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by jared845, May 3, 2011.

1. jared845

jared845 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hello,

I have a Droid X currently running Android 2.2. I am wondering when the new Android 2.3 Gingerbread will be sent OTA to my phone. I have heard allot about it and I know their are other ways to down load it , which i am not really interested in doing ! Anyways thanks as always and I look forward to be hearing from you

Thanks
    jared

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Jared, I'm in the same boat as you. When Gingerbread is announced for the Droid X, you'll know about it. All the major mobility info sites will mention it (Phonescoop, Engadget Mobile, BGR).

The earlier announcement that Motorola was sending the 2.3 update was incorrect. A few people got something they weren't supposed to. You know Verizon will make sure the Droid X is ready for it before they send out the update en masse.

I hope it's soon. I don't want to go the way of rooting my phone and manually installing Gingerbread (though I've heard the phone does not have to be rooted to get the manual update).

Fingers crossed for a "coming soon" release.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jared845

jared845 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hey Mike as always thanks for the response ! Do you beleive we will eventually get the ota upgrade? Yea I dont want to root it either !

4. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Yes, I believe eventually they will released 2.3 for the Droid X. The phone has been too successful for Verizon for it not to be updated. Then again, things could change, but the likelihood is an upcoming Gingerbread update for our Droid X.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jared845

jared845 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hey Mike I just read this article and thought you'd be interested

Motorola DROID X owners have already been treated to a few different leaked builds of Gingerbread, but there's still no concrete date that we can expect the official version to land on. We've heard a few rumored release dates in the past, and today the folks at Droid-Life have added another to the list: May 13th.

As usual, this date should be taken with your usual helping of salt, as it's possible that Verizon could reject Moto's update or some other unforeseen circumstance could push the DX's version of 2.3 back even further. Considering that the DROID X2 could be coming as soon as May 12th, though, hopefully the original X's update will come along shortly after to keep those owners from lusting after the new model too hard.

Via Droid-Life

Here is the link below

Motorola DROID X now scheduled to receive Gingerbread on May 13th? | PhoneDog

6. jared845

jared845 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hey Mike, just wanted to let u know that I got rid of the droid x and vzw has upgraded me to the thunderbolt after so many issues with the X , they sent me a brand new t bolt for free

7. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    NICE!!! Let us know how it works out. Maybe even write a review. I'd love to know how the Thunderbolt is from an actual user.

I've been fortunate, I haven't had any major issues with the Droid X. I love the phone. The only annoyance is WiFi losing connectivity (not the network, though). I have to turn it of and then on again. I've heard this may be a Moto issue more than anything else. Other than that, the phone has been phenomenal.

8. jared845

jared845 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    got it and already seems like allot better phone then the X ....No offense ! The software and its capabilities are really sweet and the screen is so crisp ! More updates will follow !

9. jared845

jared845 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hey Mike, i was curious what you think of the DX2? It really looks no different to the DX1. Just a bigger processor thats all and is also 3g. Do u know any info on the gingerbread update on the thunderbolt? I havent seen much.

U were asking me about writing reviews on the thunderbolt. Where and how do I do that ? is it on this forum?

Thanks Mike

10. jared845

jared845 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hey also just curious do you know anyone that would be interesed in purchasing a little over a 1 week old droid x that was a vzw reconditioned unit?? Im looking to sell it, since VZW is not requesting the device back.

11. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    The only real change is the screen resolution being "qHD", an apparent improvement over what's on the Droid X right now. If the DX2 was a dramatic improvement, then I might be intrigued, but IMO, it's not. I'm more interested in the Droid Bionic from Motorola coming out soon.

There is no specific review format here, just your impressions of the phone, what works, what doesn't, the good, bad, and in-between.

Basically, your take on the phone as an owner. You can check other forums on here for reviews people have posted, to get an idea of how you want to do yours.

I've heard some questionable things about the Thunderbolt, so I'd rather hear what an actual owner has to say versus site-specific reviews (like from Engadget, or Phonescoop).

12. Fathead

Fathead In the Industry

The screen on the X2 is a great improvement, and there are some GUI changes that are good, and the phone does run much better with the dual core, much smoother. But if you already have an X its not worth buying outright or anything.

13. jared845

jared845 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hey Mike, issues already when using the device the phone with shut down and reboot with out it being requested. This has happened 5 or 6 times since last Thursday. I callled verizon tech support and they had me do a factory reset. If the problem continues then I will be sent a new phone. I just wanted to know if anyone else has expierenced this issue and if so what can be done to correct it? This happens with the phone in use either using an app or just floating around the difference features. The battery is charged when this happens.

14. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Wow, Jared, you sure aren't having luck with phones lately. Though I like HTC, I'm not so sold on the Thunderbolt, or Incredible 1 and 2 as much as with Motorola's Droid X and upcoming Droid Bionic. My confidence in Motorola was lost for a while, but the DX changed all that. The Droid X isn't perfect, but I am still very pleased with it.

Hopefully you'll get a phone that will actually work! Good luck. :)

15. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
  16. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    The Gingerbread (Android 2.3) update is finally available for an OTA update on the Droid X.

Got mine this morning. So far, so good. A nice improvement over Froyo (2.2). Had to make a few minor changes to things, as the Notification bar is now dark blue versus the gray of before.

The most noticeable changes are in a few areas:

1) Icons at the bottom of the Home screens have changed slightly. The Text Message icon has been added. The Recent Calls and Dial Pad icons have been changed. There are also small dashes below these that indicate what Home screen you are on.

2) Motorola widgets (like News, Messages, and Weather, for example) when selected, go into a 3D right/left scrolling window mode. This is, IMO, the coolest new feature.

3) The Apps section now has the ability to group apps in folders. There are preset icons you can use to denote each group. Completely customizable and any folder can be set as the default when viewing apps. There is also a direct link to the Android Market in this section now.

4) The last major change is a reversal in the color scheme. The Notification bar is dark blue now, with a newer "3G" icon, in a slightly lighter blue. The Settings screen is now gray. The stand-by screen no longer shows a clear wallpaper image. It is now shadowed out towards the bottom and gets lighter towards the top of the screen. The last minor change is the new Red (with a white stylized) Moto "M" logo, versus the old White with a black M logo of the past.

Scrolling between home screens is much faster and so far everything works without issue. It took about 10 minutes for the download, and another 10 for the system update. The Droid "eye" moving logo stayed on for a much longer time at boot-up than before, likely because of the update.

Overall a nice change. It will probably be the last major update the original Droid X gets.

2 people like this.
  17. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    A correction to what I had posted previously (quoted above): most of the dock icons at the bottom of the screen are customizable. The app launcher arrow has been given a new look and has been fixed at the far right (4th position). The other 3 icons can be changed to whatever you would like.

By long-pressing one of the dock buttons will bring up a screen to modify the icon to something else. The same thing can be accomplished by long-pressing a shortcut icon on any one of the screens. When my phone was done updating, the Text Message, Dialer, and Contacts icons were the default.

Not sure if this revision is for all phones on Gingerbread, or more native to Motorola Android phones specifically.

18. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I too downloaded and installed the Gingerbread (2.3.3) update on my Droid X this afternoon. Overall the look of it has changed like Mike has mentioned. I actually like the status bar better now. Also the copy and paste function is smoother and easier to use. Another improvement is the stock keyboard (although I still use a modded keyboard as my default keyboard). Overall I am glad that Verizon finally pushed this update to everyone since Gingerbread seems to be faster and smoother compared to Froyo.

2 people like this.