Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Getting the most out of $30/month

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I had a pager for a long time. I only got a CELL a few years ago, because my friend turned me on to her Worldcom Rep. that gave me a free Nokia 51-something phone, with nice leather case, wall & car chargers for free and a $22.50/month plan. Only double my pager cost, so I went for it. I have 60 min. peak and 300 offpeak (starting at 7pm) So now I'm thinking $30 a month and I want a nice new phone that will fit in my front pocket. This old phone is kinda BIG!
    I'm thinking AT&T will be the best upgrade for me, looking at their regional coverage map... I'm mainly in the San Jose area, but like to travel around the Bay Area, Central Valley, LA, Reno/Tahoe, VEGAS and HAWAII often. Currently, Amazon.com has the Motorola V60t for FREE, when you sign up for a contract with AT&T.
    So what do you think I could get, by going into the AT&T store on the corner? Will they match the free phone deal and do a plan of MY making. There $30 plans don't quite cut it for me. This 9pm night start time is pure B.S.!! Talk about using the fine print to make more money out of people. The work day did not extend for people!
    I want 7pm start for off peak
    FREE PHONE, FREE activation
    Their West regional coverage area will suffice for my home calling area.
    FREE long distance, although I will hardly make any and it's only 20 cents a min.
    Included: Voicemail, caller i.d., free first incoming minute (hate wrong #'s!)
    I think 200 min. peak and 1000 off peak will suffice for me.
    Think AT&T might be for me?

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    You're asking the impossible. First of all, all the major carriers night minutes start at 9 pm now and second of all very few companies offer the first incoming minute of a call free anymore.

Check out AT&T's website and see if they have any plans for around $30 a month that you might like.

AT&T Wireless

3. Geoff

Geoff New Member

I have checked out the AT&T site extensively, as well as the others. There is no plan on there I will accept. Mostly the part about nights starting at 9pm. Almost all my calls will be PEAK!! So I'm going into the store and telling them what they will need to do, in order to get my business. Otherwise, I'm keeping what I got. I just don't use a CELL enough to pay more for less.

4. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

Well it seems as if you are going to keep what you have, because you are not going to get a whole lot for $30 dollars a month.

5. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Worldcom is exiting the wireless business so soon you will most likely have to switch to somebody else anyway. As I stated earlier you aren't going to get 7 pm off peak times with any company right now.

7. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    IF there are no plans that are on the web that you will accept then choose another provider

$39.99 sprint pcs 350 and 3750
    $34.99 sprint pcs 200 and 3000
    $35 Verizon (america choice) 300 and 4000

All minutes for sprint are nationwide on their network

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    One exception is Qwest Wireless who has Off-Peak starting at 7pm. There are also some other carriers in the $30 to $35 range that have Unlimited minutes. Cricket, SureWest, Metro PCS, Northcoast come to mind. Qwest in Omaha has Unlimited, but at $40/mo.

-Bill Radio

9. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    I had heard that Qwest is also looking to get out of the Wireless Service. They may not be around much longer as Qwest Wireless either.

10. Geoff

Geoff New Member

Mike - What are YOUR pros/cons with the V60's? Thinking of getting one...

11. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Try Voicestream Wireless (T-Mobile). They will be launching in the Califonia/Nevada area in a couple of weeks. They already have coverage in Hawaii and I here it is pretty nice from a couple of people on a different forum. I have *heard* that when Voicestream launches, they will have a $29.99 plan that offers 300 Nationwide anytime minutes, UNLIMITED weekends, and maybe UNLIMITED nights. This will include Free Roaming & Free Long Distance. I beleive that Voicestream still does the First Free Incoming Minute free thing, but I'm not for sure. I will check my bill when in comes in a couple of days and let you know. I know they use too, because I remember never really thinking that that would make a difference, but it use to save me like 75 minutes a month, that's alot.

If you sign up for Voicestream on the AMAZON website, you can get the Mototola v60g for free too.
    If you live in the Califonia/Nevada area you will have to wait a few weeks until they launch.

12. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

I live in NYC so nights start at 9pm local time (EDT). I know in CA, nights start at 8pm CA time.

13. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

I forgot to mention I was talking about Verizon...sorry

14. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The reason Verizon has 8pm night minutes on the west coast is because of a class-action lawsuit that was filed against them for changing the start time, I do believe. However, this guy is asking nearly the impossible, as unfortunately in-store reps can't just pull a plan out of their asses and sell it to you. AT&T makes up the plans, the reps sell them.... The reps have SOME freedom on phone prices, but even then they still have to make money on them, so don't expect a miracle. My guess would be that when Worldcom sells their wireless assets, your service will be taken on by another company (Verizon, AT&T, Cingular, or whoever) and they'll put you on the nearest available price plan to what you're on right now, though probably not on a contract. Oh, and one more thing.... have you thought about prepay?

15. aiwapro

Isn't Worlcomm just a reseller, so what they could do is just turn the customers who have a certain provider, directly to that provider, no more middle man. Right?

16. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    That would be the perfect solution

Jack

17. mph11582

mph11582 New Member

I think you can get first incoming min free on cingular for like an additional $4.99 a month, check their site if you are interested

18. sgarrand

sgarrand New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX 4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Cingular
    Cingular has an option for 7PM to 7AM Offpeak for an additional $7. It applies only to Home plabs and I'm in a TDMA area.

Scott

19. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    7pm nights that is NICE

Jack

20. Geoff

Geoff New Member

7 pm nights should be standard! Moving them to start at 8 and now 9 is just the big companies working an angle to get more money out of us consumers!

21. Guest

Guest Guest

Don't go with VoiceStream in California. Cingulars already packed with voicestream it will be hell.

22. aiwapro

No it won't. I can't stand they misinformed or not informed at all anonymous posters. They don't know what they are talking about. They can't even type right. Anyways, back to the matter at hand, additional spectrum and capacity has been added to the California/Nevada network of Cingular to support the two companies. Voicestream has some spectrum that they already owned out there that will only be used just for them, not Cingular, and also will not be turned on until Voicestream (T-Mobile) launches. None of this extra added stuff will be turned on until the initail launch of T-Mobile (Voicestream), which is scheduled for July 15, 2002.