Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Getting screwed by Alltel.

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by jeremyd, Nov 11, 2007.

1. jeremyd

jeremyd New Member

Ok let me start. My two-year contract finally ended with Alltel on my RAZR v3c and so I ordered a Blackberry off eBay. Alltel kept messing up my bill on it so I just decided to replace it with the Samsung 'Wafer' considering at the time every phone Alltel had was the suck. I enjoyed it for the first week and then everything took a turn for the worst. Suddenly whenever I called people they would say they could hear themselves echo at times the phone sounded so horrible to where I couldn't even hear the other person, and the other person would tell me I sounded like I was screaming into the phone. So finally I decided to call Alltel. I finally got someone and they told me with the utmost confidence that the phone had been discontinued due to an unfixable problem with the call quality. Since they basically had to recall the phone, they told me to take it to a local Alltel retailer and that they would take it and give me the option of replacing the phone with another phone. Well, I went to our local Alltel retailer and that's when Alltel began to screw me. I told them about the phone call to Alltel and they were like, "Well, the man you talked to was wrong. First of all, you can't bring back a phone you ordered directly from Alltel to an Alltel retailer. But I can help you by flashing it, which will fix the problem." So she flashed it and I left and called a friend... but, much to my suprise the unfixable problem that she fixed wasn't fixed! My friend confirmed that he had an echo and he also said it sounded like I was talking exceptionally loud. Obviously, I was angry. So I decided to take it to another local Alltel. Well, this time there was a different story. I took it in and told her about the phone call and the last lady and she said that the man and the lady were wrong. First of all, you can't fix a hardware problem with a software flash (obvious!). Second of all, I can bring the phone back and replace it... with the same phone! Sounds like a great deal! Bring back the phone I'm having problems with and replace it with the same phone that will most likely have problems considering the problem is unfixable! Eventually I had to get the manager to come out because I felt bull____ted. How can you just keep replacing a problem with unfixable problems over and over? That's a horrible idea, and a great way to lose customers! Basically this is where my hunt has stopped. I don't really know what to do now. I still have the same phone, same problems, and it looks like Alltel is just going to keep me running around in circles. Alltel has gone from a good company to a company with little organization and little knowledge of what to do in my eyes in the past months. When I first got my Blackberry I didn't set up a data plan and I called Alltel for information on it. The guy told me the price and I was like, "Ok, I will set it up later, maybe in a few days." As soon as I got off the phone he disconnected my number, I guess because I didn't buy the plan ASAP. Ever since that time so much stuff has happened to the point where I'm actually considering moving from Alltel, even after being a part of their company since the early 90s. This seems like mostly a rant but I'm actually curious if anyone out there has any ideas? I'm not about to get screwed and take it. If anything they should have warned me about the problems with the phone if they knew there was a problem. Ok well I'm done. Hopefully someone out there has advice. :mad:

2. Sailorcancer

Sailorcancer Member

My Phone:
    Moto Z XT1650-03
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I know the feeling with the Alltel workers.

My family used to have Alltel, and we had it back when it was centrytell or whatever it was.

The people who work at Alltel are really clueless, and don't know much about cell phones besides turning them on and off. And they couldn't recomend a cell phone, they told me that the SoHo was a very good phone. Well out of all my cell phone I've owned the SoHo was by far the worse cell phone I've had.

There used to be one by my high school that shut down a couple of months after it opened. It was ran by some _____y college girl who didn't know a thing about cell phones.

When I had Alltel we roamed ALL THE TIME, and would bounce of Verizons towers. I had to enter area codes for local calls all the time. And I wasn't like out of service or anything, it just did it.

When we were checking to make sure we were all out of contract so that we could leave Alltel, they said that my mom had like 2 more years left. Apperently someone on the date of my parents anniversary decided to extend my moms contract, they fixed it of course, without much problem. And the next day we left Alltel and went to Verizon.

We've had a great experience with Verizon, the only problem with them is their ____ty UI. Besides that everything there is great.

3. jeremyd

jeremyd New Member

See, that's my only fear of escaping Alltel. Cingular and Verizon have the worst UIs, where as Alltel has the cleanest around. There isn't a bunch of crap loading it down (it's getting there with the introduction of Celltop) and that's the only thing keeping me at Alltel. But I'm glad I'm not the only one recognizing how clueless everyone at Alltel is. I'm bound and determined to get my phone replaced with something that is actually bearable to communicate through.

4. Sailorcancer

Sailorcancer Member

My Phone:
    Moto Z XT1650-03
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Verizon cripples their phones as well. But with the help of simple to do seem edits you can re enable some of those lost features. Or if you know how to flash alltels UI to it.

Verizons smart phones keep their original UI, I think a Samsung one has a verizon custom UI, but that can be swap to the original one something verizon should do with all their phones.

5. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Some major errors here:

The Wafers were NOT recalled, but were placed on extended DOA. If your local store didn't want to handle the DOA it's a problem with that STORE, not Alltel. EVERY store can handle DOAs whether they were bought retail or delivered via FedEx/UPS/USPS. Many of the wafers worked just fine, but a minority of them had the echo and volume problem so Alltel decided to extend the DOA on them pretty much indefinitely.

Because of that, the Wafer can be replaced by a similiar phone in price, form and function. You need to remind the retail store of that.

Now, if you decided to activate a Blackberry, then you HAVE to have a data feature on the line or be under a smartchoice pack. I can't speak for you being disconnected, but there is of course two sides to every story and we only have yours.

6. jeremyd

jeremyd New Member

Well I guess the deal of replacing it with a similiar phone in price, form and function still is weird considering there aren't many Alltel phones that really have the same. What phones do you think this includes?
    Well see this stems back to more unorganization in Alltel. When I activated the plan, no data feature was set up on the phone. The next day I went to get the information, and the man deactivated my phone, and immediately after that we called back and the woman we got this time apologized for his actions and said he's not supposed to do that, and then she reactivated the phone without a data plan and finally we set it up a day or two later. So yeah.

Also is there anywhere I can find proof to the whole "DOA" situation? The people who usually work at the retail stores aren't the friendliest so I'd like something to have to back myself.

7. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Call centers got notification of the extended DOA, so yes, retail got the notice as well. You just need to "remind" them of it.

8. jeremyd

jeremyd New Member

Ok I went today and they agreed to replace the Wafer with another Wafer. But unfortunately they didn't have one in stock so I have to wait about two weeks. What's up with that? Hopefully they just keep giving me all the benefits of being their customer. In two weeks, I'll have a new phone with the same problem. Hooray hooray hooray.

9. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

FIrst off, this is exactly why I hate retail stores, not Alltel itself. What I would do is demand a HUE replacement, as that is a similar but different phone. You might call customer service and say you want to do an XBM (Xchange By Mail). It's free and see if you can just get a different phone. After like 3 times they will give you a different model.

Also, if you're getting lousy reception with Alltel, something is seriously wrong.

10. MUXC

MUXC New Member

I have gone through the very same thing but probably worse!

My cell phone got stolen back in may and so i paid retail price for the wafer. After three days i decide to take it back because of my friends complained they were hearing themselves all the time. (AKA the echo) I went to the store and the guy there told me it wasn't the phone but their network because someone had cut their fiber optic line and that I just need to wait it out. So for memorial day weekend I went to NJ and the echo still followed me. Once i got back home i went to the store and told them i wanted a different phone because the echo was really annoying and that it seems to be an apparent problem in all wafers! Then the guy told me I was on my 15th day of having it and so thus he could not exchange it out for a different phone and the most he could do was give me a new wafer with the same problems. I asked to speak to the manager and he was probably the most unprofessional person i have ever interacted with. He told me i should have paid closer attention to the fine print on the return policy and because i didn't it was my fault i couldn't return the phone. I was so mad i haven't been back to that store and i hope that he has been fired! So I called customer service and they gave me a run around basically in the end all they could do was give me a phone that still had the echo. So i kept the phone

In late july i decided that the echo was going to kill me and i once again went back to the store and figured i'd try and just get a new wafer with the hope of it not echoing. I go in and i am about to get my new echo (wafer) and the guy there tells me that switching out the phone is pointless because my phone had the hardware and software that was suppose to not echo. I told him I wanted it anyway and he told me that he couldn't because the problem in my phone was inherent and thus wasn't able to be DOA'd. Again i asked for the manager. I had to wait over half an hour till he came out of the back from doing only god knows what. In less than a minute he told me that his employee was right and he could do nothing for me. By now we are really thinking about canceling our service with them.

Now it's november. The echo is so annoying i called customer service once more and they told me that they are replacing the phones with totally different ones and that all i had to do was take it to the store and they let me pick out a phone at equal or greater value and just pay the difference. So I went to the store at my local mall and they said that yes i could do that but told me i had to go to a real store. So i went to the real store and in short they told me i couldn't and that customer service and the people at the mall were wrong. They called two different managers and they said the same thing about them being wrong. Although they did tell me that if i would have replaced my echo (wafer) three times that yes they would replace it with a different phone. Now why would i do that? I plan on going back to alltel sometime this afternoon...i will let you all know how it goes.

11. mjb50501

mjb50501 Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    alltel employee
    sounds like you are going to a agent not a alltel retail store. i work for alltel and i cant imagine them making you wait for a phone. we would just swap for another phone model if we didnt have 1 in stock. go to alltel.com and use store locator to make sure you are at a retail store. let me know if you have any problems

12. MUXC

MUXC New Member

No they all have been alltel retail stores.

13. mjb50501

mjb50501 Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    alltel employee
    tell them to doa the phone they cant refuse. if you get no response ask for a contact number for the regional manager. you can also file a corporate complaint through customer service or the website. sounds like ur dealing with some bad apples or just lazy reps. keep bothering them until they do something for you. i know if a customer bugs me enough i will do whatever it takes to get them off my back lol good luck and keep following up with the store.

14. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

No, DO NOT CALL CS for an XBM. CS can NOT do XBMs. Call *611, then take option 3 for technical help to get into Tech Support. THEY do XBM entries, not CS.

If you call CS, they just have to transfer you - meaning you have to wait in the line to talk to CS, then get transferred and have to wait in the second LONGER line for TS - IF you don't get dropped during the transfer. And CS reps hate transfers as it counts against our KPIs if we have to transfer you. It pisses us off because for 99% of the transfers, if you'd just listen to the damn IVR you'd get through to who you need without having to jack up our transfer rates.

15. dolphin_crazed

dolphin_crazed Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel; Verizon Wireless

XBM can't be used to send out a different model of phone, XBM phones ship only the transceiver, no battery, no battery door, no charger. I've had to de-escalate a few of these when people pick the wrong phone, even though the system makes you double-confirm the model of the phone before completing the order.

16. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Whoops. My bad. I ment *611 as Customer Service in option 3, as in new Alltel phones it's listed Customer Service.

And sorry about the bad advice on the different model. I know when to admit I'm wrong.

17. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    But how many people actually know the designation of their phone? I mean, I know, obviously, but I think most people don't. They have a RAZR and might be unaware that Alltel has offered three different models of RAZR (V3c, V3m & V3a.) Double confirmation or not, most people don't know their phones model number, I'd wager.

Customer service might be able to give the OP a different model of phone but usually that has to be done within the trial period on the new handset. Though, with the echo issues on the Wafer, they might send out a Hue, even though it's now after the trial period. There was a software update for the Wafter which was supposed to fix the echo issue but, apparently, it didn't work completely.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. dolphin_crazed

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel; Verizon Wireless
    About the model being chosen, yes it is true that most people don't, especially with the RAZR series of phones. But, there are a couple places we can cross-reference the ESN and even look at purchase date. Also, if the customer is on a different phone, then I just have them pull the battery and check the label. Other phones are unique enough to be identified by description. The 8600 is good for this, especially the green one.

19. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    LOL! Yeah, "It's green," does tend to narrow the field down a bit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

NO. CS can't send out ANY phones for XBM. CS has no XBM capabilites except to send out a reprinted return label. XBM inquiries are directed to a Sales Office first. If that is not practical, then TS (NOT CS) can assist with an XBM. DO NOT CALL CS if you want a phone replaced using XBM, go to a Sales Office or call TS direct. All we can do at CS is transfer you - and we absolutely HATE transfers. I gnash my teeth when I have to hit that stupid transfer button and watch my KPIs go down the drain as the customer couldn't be bothered to listen the the IVR options.

21. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I'm not talking about XBM, I'm talking about CS taking pity on the OP because the Wafer sucks.

22. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I get the feeling that CS don't give a s**t about it's customers. I hate calling CS for anything B/C I almost always get the one who hates there job.

23. Sailorcancer

Sailorcancer Member

My Phone:
    Moto Z XT1650-03
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's everyone who works in CS. They either hate it, or are in some crazed mental state from it.

I should know I worked at a call center once, I could only take it for 3 months.

24. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah and that's just sad. I work as cs for my company and I have had that same problem with my people. Some just can't take it.

25. dolphin_crazed

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel; Verizon Wireless
    I agree, I know this has gotten a little off topic since the first post, but I am going to throw in my 2 cents. I have worked for 2 different call centers in the last 5 years. The first one was truly bad, I won't go into detail. When I started at alltel, it was great. But after more than 3 years, it does wear on you, knowing that you are going to have non-stop calls with people who are having problems w/ their phone, whether its legitimate or just user error. Having management pushing down to make your numbers. I'm not saying it's all gloom and doom, but I agree, a call center is not for everyone.

26. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Actually, most folks in my center love their jobs - we just hate idiots who call about the same thing time after time after time after time after time after time after time.........day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day.

We now have a call counter that tells us how many times a caller has called in over the last 7 days, and it's almost always close to double digits. A majority of Alltel customers rarely call - it's the 20 percent who call continually and just won't learn that are the annoyances.

27. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

You don't understand - CS does not do ANY phone exchanges. We can't have you send a phone back and give you a credit for it and then order you a replacement phone. That can only be done via Retail or TS. Period. That means when you call me either I have to send you to Retail (vastly preferred) meaning not reaching first call resolution, or I have to send you to TS and jack up my transfer rates, which is frowned upon. Either way, you the customer get angy thinking I'm passing the buck (I'm not, I truly can't help you) and you get frustrated.

28. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Not true. I know two people who have had CS at 611 make an exception and get a different model of phone. I know it isn't standard practice but it has been done. I was simply saying that perhaps someone in CS would do that, make an exception and fix an issue for a customer.

29. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    CenturyTel was and is not Alltel, they are completely different. And considering you had it a good 5-6 years ago you can't speak to their quality now in any regard unless you roam on their network.

The only thing Alltel has to crack down on is some of their CS training. I know more then 80 percent of them and I've never worked in the wireless industry. Every time I talk to one over the phone or in the store I have to talk to them like a cellphone two or five year old. There is the exception every now and then. But I think that is common among the carriers from all the other carriers I've dealt with.

30. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Alltel bought out Centurytel wireless about 5 years ago when Centurytel was still TDMA and Alltel put 1X at all their towers shortly after.