Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Getting Out of Contract

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Carbon Tiger, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Carbon Tiger

Carbon Tiger New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Ace SPH-i325
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    This is an unusual question and one I may have to call customer support about.

Basically I have 6 months left on my contract and I want out. I've moved to Vermont and have been roaming on Sprint's network for 10 months now I'm not charged anything but still. Also I have no desire to go to Verizon when my contract is up.

Does anyone know if they'd let me port my number without an early termination fee given I'm WELL out of their tower area and don't want to be merged and also there's no way for me to anything in a face to face way given my location and the fact I won't be a part of Verizon for months even if I did want to use them.

I'm kind of up a creak here.

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    It wouldn't hurt to ask them. Technically you are out of their native service area and there aren't any Alltel locations for you to go to, so maybe they'll let you out. Although Verizon owns Alltel now, they're still operating as two separate entities until the merger integration is complete.

I'm sure bikebryan and others will chime in soon with more specifics about your options.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

It's hard to say because it could go either way but usually carriers kick you off for being out of coverage.

4. Lonewolf85

Lonewolf85 Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Curve 8330
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Here is the Quote from the Attel Service Agreement

"Termination by You: Change in Location- A change in your service address or the location to which any Service is provided to you may constitute, at our sole discretion, termination of the Services or an increase in the prices you must pay for the Services."

"Termination by Us: (f) if the majority of your Service is used roaming on a network not owned or operated by Alltel."

So yes if Sprint is the only provided you are able to roam off of in the area, they should let you out of contract without any problem. In fact they should be more than happy to let you out because they are paying Sprint for use of their towers. Hope this helps!

5. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

I disagree. There is not a chance they would let them terminate without the Early Termination Fee (ETF). Yes, they are roaming more than 50% from their native SID and outside Alltel's network, but if THEY terminate the service it will cost them the ETF. If Alltel enforces the 50% rule it can go either way. After all, Alltel didn't ask them to move.

Look at Service Agreements like a Lease. If you sign a 12 month lease then move 2 months later, the propery management group doesn't let you out of the lease (with very few exceptions). You are still respsonsible for the remainder of the lease.

6. Carbon Tiger

Carbon Tiger New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Ace SPH-i325
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    Well they let me out.

Took some convincing but the main selling point was that I was on Sprint's towers and I was 1,000+ miles away from their nearest store, well out of their area and roaming for 8 months. As I put it if anything happened to my phone what am I supposed to do I have no store to go to. I agreed to pay through the rest of this month and transfer over before the next billing cycle of April 29th.

Rather nice of them I think.

7. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Valid points, and you, as as former Alltel employee, know what the company's policy is, but it's a customer's right to move anywhere they choose. It's no more his problem he moved than it is Alltel not being available where he now lives.

Even with roaming agreements, I wouldn't want to keep service with a carrier that doens't serve the area I live in. This is an issue affecting regional carriers, of which Alltel is until Verizon's through with the integration.

Being so far out of their service area, I'm not surprised they relented. Your situation is one of the VERY few where you're argument is hard to challenge. Even with Alltel's rules and regulations in place, it it really worth it for them to fight for the ETF when you now live so far out of their service area? I don't think so, but that's just my opinion.

Glad it worked out for you Carbon Tiger.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Carbon Tiger

Carbon Tiger New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Ace SPH-i325
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    Yeah Alltel was a good company and I had them for a lot of years. But the not having a store nearby thing was big for me. I work for a cell phone company and being able to walk into a store is a big deal sometimes you don't want to go online and wait for shipping.

I've already transferred over to a carrier in my area and kept my old Alltel number. I'll always be happy with the service I got and remember where I got the number in the first place but business is business. Plus I didn't want to be under Verizon contract.

Agreed and if I had to process an account who was in the same spot I was I'd let em go because it's not worth it to fight. Their roaming already costing the company money every time they use someone else's tower. It's best to let them integrate into their local service.

Thanks guess I'll be heading over to the Sprint boards now. But I'll keep an eye here to see what happens next because I am interested in how Verizon handles this integration. I've gotten a front row seat to how AT&T has handled Unicel being that I live in Vermont.

9. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

I hope you are right, but I'd wait until you get your next bill before I count on them not charging the ETF. Good luck.