Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Getting frustrated with flaky service

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by Airb330, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Verizon clearly has 3G on PCS frequencies in my area. If you cannot see the tower, you are likely on 1X. Considering Verizon has a decent amount of towers in my area for a 850 carrier, I don't understand it at all. I'm not sure Sprint had more towers, yet never lost 3G. This is my home area, and I outlined the area with no 3G. Mind you..this is just a small area...there are many more areas without usable 3G signal in south Jersey. I just do not know cell tower locations for those areas so I cannot make a map yet. The cell towers I listed are Verizon, not all of the towers in the area.

Bing Maps - driving directions, routes, and traffic

While Verizon was kind enough to give me a free extender for my house, which has no 3G outside even with 5 bars, sometimes my house will only have 0-2 bars 1X. This is making me think the network is clearly getting overloaded and throwing me on PCS or the cell radius is shrinking. My iPhone doesn't always latch onto the extender, because the cell tower signal is usually very good, but it will flip over when it starts to degrade. Sadly I think T-Mobile is the best in my area, they are literally on *every* single tower I've seen in my area.

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Ugh, don't get me started on that. NYC has always been a 850 voice / 1900 data market for Verizon. More recently though, back when I had the Droid 2/X, I would constantly find myself on 1x. Like you said, Verizon was on pretty much all the same towers as Sprint (and then some), but I would always fall back to 1x on 850. My guess is that the number of users is just filling up available EVDO slots and they bump you back. I can't imagine that coverage is much worse.
    Upgrade to a 4G device and your 1900 EVDO problem will be mostly solved. I used the "EVDO sucks" argument to get out of my contract.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I should add that we had an issue with EVDO signal at home, a weird one. We got our phones in November of last year, the signal on both 850 and 1900 was fine. Obviously 1900 was a little lower, but just fine. Speeds were easily near 1500kbps and above. However, when I returned home sometimes in February, the EVDO 1900 signal was just gone. And I don't mean just at home, but everywhere I went on Long Island. I would constantly be on 1x with a -115dbm EVDO signal. I had no idea what was going on. They upgraded us to 4G phones because of that.
    However, the last time I was home in June, the issue was gone...? The EVDO signal had returned everywhere, and speeds went right back up.
    Maybe they added more capacity?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks for the advice. I'm very happy with my iPhone and I really do not like Android. So no 4G for me. I'm in a 'fringe' area for 4G anyway. Only tower #4 on my map has LTE (maybe #5...I'll look next time I take my Jeep in for service as the tower is right there).

Verizon offered me an extender or to waive all fees for canceling within 30 days. I took the extender. It's just odd that they cannot be as reliable as they say especially when I know where the towers are located. Verizon m2m is useful since I use this as my work phone now too and all state of Delaware employees are forced into using Verizon. So almost all business calls are 'free' at least. I've been following your MI saga so at least I am not that bad off...I just get so turned off by people with the constant Verizon cheerleading.

I honestly still prefer AT&T (GSM)....I am not sure if their 3G is up to par yet....in 2008 it would drop almost every call in Philly. I just couldn't take that risk again and Verizon is slightly cheaper and had unlimited texts and data. I'd honestly take a Sprint iPhone for Delaware, SNJ and Philly. It's just sad that I am thrilled with 300-400kpbs anywhere in SNJ or Delaware...when I easily get 1-2.5mbps in the middle of no-where PA. I suppose Delaware will always be a crappy market for Verizon--they have at least 60% of the market and they aren't even that great-so why bother improving? I guess South NJ falls into the same category. Space the towers out and reap the profits based on advertising.

With the extender and my wifi, things are generally fine at home. Just annoying the same area will have 4-5 bars and no 3 or 1-2 bars of 1X randomly and I kick over to the extender. It's just inexcusable especially when they paint the entire US with red for 3G. I can literally travel 1/2 mile from a tower here and lose 3G...PCS is not that weak! I just wish the *3001 trick for the iPhone would be switched on for the Verizon version. It would be nice to see the -db readings.

5. jerry 12

jerry 12 Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Wireless Provider(s):
    us cellular / Verizon
    Verizon has a 1900 system in NC and it spotty some times i sure wish they would put up more towers but it probably want happen because eastern NC is rural and the cell company's like to put tower's where the most people are at. :(

6. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I come home from 2 weeks in Hawaii and find 3G on 800 mhz. I now receive signals in the low 70s or mid 80s everywhere I used to get 1X only. Problems in the house are solved along with every outside area. Pings in the low 90 ms and download speeds of over 1.5 mbps often as well. I was in an LTE 'extended' area (closest site was several miles away) but am now in the solid red, so I think they added LTE to the two towers that potentially serve my house. Haven't really looked with it getting dark so early.

7. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Cell tower #1 on the map, also being the closest to my home has LTE now. The 4G maps don't show it, but big hard to miss LTE panels are there. Had to run out to the store and was getting 3 mbps downloads on PCS near the tower. They must have added 800 carrier channels for EVDO as well, obviously.

8. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wonder why I can't just edit my post?

Well I spoke too soon.

Service is worse than ever. Last night I lost all service for about an hour. It had one bar of 1X and couldnt even send texts, though I could receive. Once service came back online I can barely get a PCS 3G signal again.

Right now: -76db 1X, -98db 3G or none at all. 24 hours ago I had a -74db 3G signal. This is all in the same spot, not moving.

Unreal. :censored:

9. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    update

Well after an E-Mail to the CEO's office I have Verizon looking at the problem. A higher up in Harrisburg called me after 2 hours and said he'd follow up later on this week after network tests.

An engineer manager from southeastern PA sent a network engineer to the tower today to check everything over. Then he rode to my house (I am working so I'll take their word for it) and did some tests.

The network engineer told me they received 300-600 kbps on 850 and 1900. He said it likely wouldn't be too great inside the house, but 850 should be fine. There are 3 channels on PCS and 1 on 850...which is what I've seen as well. Verizon has been very responsive and I give them major props. It just appears the 850 channel gets saturated and I get stuck on the lousy PCS 3G. I'm 4800 feet away from the tower according to Verizon, which is what I guessed. The manager said to call him tonight or tomorrow and let him know what I see. It's just refreshing to talk to someone using the jargon we use here.

If this doesn't do it, I did suggest a 4G device, so we'll see what Harrisburg says about that. Too bad I really don't care for Android and really like my iPhone. Maybe a refurbished 4G device at a discount off retail, or something to hold me over till my upgrade and hopefully a LTE iphone.

10. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Ugh, stay away from the 4G LTE devices. They are experiencing their second LTE outage....of the week.

11. Bubbly

Bubbly New Member

I think Verizon service is not necessarily worth the extra cost. I drop quite a few calls in the greater Boston area and that's why I decede to eventually switch carrier last month