Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

GAIT Phones on Cingular

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by wangta01, Dec 8, 2005.

1. wangta01

wangta01 New Member

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody is still using the GAIT phones for Cingular Wireless. I remember reading almost a year ago that people had really good coverage with these phones, which are remnants of the old AT&T service. I'm considering moving to Cingular and would want to get a couple GAIT phones for my parents that live in Vermont. GAIT seems ideal, since they can jump on GSM, TDMA and Analog service. I'm just not sure that if I sign up for servcie with Cingular, that I'll be able to use this service. Perhaps GAIT service is just grandfathered for pre-existing AT&T accounts?

Any comments would be helpful!

Thanks!

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Gait is grandfathered for existing customers. If you tried to activate a GAIT phone now all they will activate are the GSM features of the phone. TDMA and analog will not function. Cingular is currently in the process of trying to get their current customers w/ gait phones to upgrade them. Eventually if not upgraded current gait customers will only access GSM functions as Cingular shuts down the TDMA network.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. fb

fb Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless/Cingular Blue
    Cingular's moving everyone to GSM. I would highly doubt that they would let anyone sign up on a GAIT plan anymore. Those plans are no longer offered. They are shutting down analog and TDMA.

I had GAIT coverage in 2003-2004, which they let me have at the same price as my TDMA plan. I switched to GSM coverage when we started a family plan in late 2004 with ATT just before they merged.

When I was in NH, the GAIT coverage was certainly nice, as there was very little GSM at that time.

I am sure there are some out there with GAIT phones, but I am sure the phone will search as hard as it can for a Cingular GSM tower before even trying for a TDMA or analog one.

Are you already with ATT?

Depending on where they are in Vermont, service can be spotty. Near major highways, better, but near mountains, etc., not so great.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. wangta01

wangta01 New Member

I'm currently not with ATT/Cingular, but I'm on the phone with them trying to sign up. I'm wanted a GAIT phone because the roaming agreement with Cingular in Vermont uses Unicel, which uses both both analog and GSM. I just wanted to maximize the chances of getting a signal, plus i heard the nokia gait phone is very reliable.

Crap, maybe i'll have to just go with a tri band GSM phone?

5. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    A tri-band? I don't think Cingular sells anything that isn't a quad-band now. Provides really nice coverage options.

6. wangta01

wangta01 New Member

7. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
  8. wangta01

wangta01 New Member

Anyone have any Cingular phones they recommend? Would like to have maximum RF and don't need the bells and whistles (IE: camera, etc).

9. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    It is going to be hard to get a stripped down phone w/o a camera. I know the MOtorola V3 Razr does extremely well, and it has a lot of features. It is available for $99 w/ rebate from Cingular, and I think Wal-Mart is selling them w/ Cingular service for $68. Very affordable considering this time last year it was a $600 phone.

-Jay

10. wangta01

wangta01 New Member

Wow, $68?? Thats crazy.

I really like the razor (whats not to like), but for my parents - i think it would be a disaster. My parents are not all into high tech gadgets...especially fragile ones. I'm guessing that they would drop it or something and it would shatter. I'm leaning toward a nokia? Those suckers look compact and shatterproof!

11. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    I have the GAIT feature on my plan for my Nokia 6340i, which I have had and used since its intoduction. I also have a NEC 525 with GPRS, which I'd like to try out MediaNet with. Since I'd have to designate a new primary phone, and lose forever GAIT, I'm not using MediaNet.

That said, I have just made a journey from Memphis to Monroe, LA that via US and state highways that needed GAIT two years ago. I left my SIM in the 525, and roamed with RCC Unicel (310-890) in Mississippi and Centennial (310-030) in Louisiana. I only saw weak unusable Cingular signal south of Eudora, AR; then in Kilborne, LA and south, plenty of Centennial signal.

I think the GAIT age is passing on....
    COtech

12. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    A friend of mine has a Razr and she drops it all the time. There's not even a scratch on it. Its very durable.

13. DemoMan

DemoMan Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG 5450
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    It is possible to activate GAIT in POS. I managed to add GAIT to a new activation last week with a 6340i that we had in our inventory.

14. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I'm very suprised. I figured they would treat it as a TDMA activation and deny it.

15. MarkInVermont

MarkInVermont New Member

Hello-

You can still get GAIT service added to an existing GSM account for no extra costs. I live in Connecticut and Vermont and I use a GSM only phone while in Connecticut but move my sim card to a Nokia 6340I for both GSM and GAIT coverage in Vermont. Some areas of Vermont still do not have GSM coverage but the TDMA or Analog service you receive with the GAIT phone works fine in these areas.

16. wangta01

wangta01 New Member

Huh. I tried asking Cingular to add GAIT to account and they told me that they no longer did that for new accounts. How long have you been with cingular? I'm guessing that you are a former at&t customer?

17. DemoMan

DemoMan Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG 5450
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Go to an agent. It is a difficult work-around process but it can be done. PVT me for more info.