Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

G1 email issue and some general G1 hints from T-Mobile Tech Support

Discussion in 'Other Smartphones and Mobile Operating Systems' started by SteveW, Jun 20, 2009.

1. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Recently I've noticed a problem with POP email from my personal accounts that I connect to via the Email (not the Gmail) program on the T-Mo G1.

The issues are:
    - I am not getting the handy New Email message in the notification bar or the accompanying notification sound.
    - I don't know if this happened at the same time as the 1.5 "Cupcake" update or somewhat before, but it's been an issue for at least a few weeks.
    - If I try to update my email manually by going into the Inbox in question and pressing Menu>Refresh, the little "working" animation runs for a few seconds and then the words "Connection error" appear right below the word "Inbox" at the top of the screen.

So I called T-Mo Tech Support. Twice. The first call I will skip because I was using the G1 at the time, and they really can't help you troubleshoot if you're calling from the phone that's having trouble. I also got the impression that the Support tech I happened to get wasn't too sharp.

The second time, things went better. We didn't fix my problem (back to that later), but I did get some general maintenance recommendations for the G1 that I thought might be useful to others.

The first thing she said was, "How much free memory does the phone have?" There are a couple of ways of finding this out, but I like the program Useful Switchers, which shows you this, and lot of other stuff, when it starts. At that moment I had 14 out of 74 megabytes free.

She said that was too low and that I should have at least 20 megabytes free at all times. This was news to me - I have never seen this recommendation on any official or unofficial site devoted to the G1. One of the criticisms of the G1 is the low amount of internal memory (74 MB) that is available to users for applications and data. So this means that only 54 are really available. :mad:

Next she asked if I had ever cleared the browser cache. I had not. So we went into Browser, pressed Menu>More>Settings, scrolled down to Privacy Settings and pressed "Clear cache", "Clear history" and "Clear all cookie data".

Checking Useful Switchers again showed that I now had 48 megabytes free. Wow! This of course raises the question of why the built-in browser on the G1 doesn't have a maximum cache setting, like most desktop browsers, but it doesn't.

Finally, she said that the G1 should be turned off at least once per day, left off for at least 20 seconds, and restarted. The reasoning is that lots of running programs can use up system resources and make everything unstable. Typically, G1 programs don't have an Exit or Quit function. And while there are a bunch of utilities for looking at running applications and forcing them to quit, I haven't seen any that I like. She admitted that this was something that the G1 system software could do better and hinted that they were working on this for a future Android release.

So in summary, you G1 owners:

- Make sure that your internal memory has at least 20 megabytes free.
    - Free internal memory by clearing the Browser cache, history and cookies.
    - Restart your phone (count to 20!) once a day (or use one of those "Kill everything" programs).

But what about my email? I know you can't wait to hear more. :rolleyes: I'll continue the tale in the next post.

SW

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am waiting :D

I don't know anything about the Android OS but in WM there are many different ways to achieve what you just described manually or automatically. I have *MemMaid* which will clean a multitude of items & at user defined times. I have mine set to clean cookies etc every midnight; works like a charm. Anything like that available for the G1?

Palm850/v0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    There are a number of utilities, such as Close Everything 2 and Advanced Task Manager, that are basically for seeing what's running and shutting apps down. The last time I checked on them, the users comments/ratings were not too good and Android 1.5 was just about to come out, so I decided to wait. Today, a quick check shows that at least these two have been updated and the comments are better.

I have not found any utility to wipe the browser cache/cookies/etc automatically or easily (without going down into the browser settings).

SW

4. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Email issue continued:

Even after following the advice of T-Mo Tech Support to clean out my browser cache and restart once a day, my POP email "Connection error" problem has not gone away.

I noticed one other thing, however, that might be a clue. My G1 is set up to connect to two of my email accounts. One gets a high volume of mail and always has around 2,000 messages in its Inbox. Because I always want access to these messages and the many subfolders in this account, even while traveling, I never delete the messages from the server.

The other one gets relatively little mail, and I do delete messages from the server a week after I POP them down to my desktop machine with OSX Mail. This means the Inbox for account #2 is usually under 50 messages.

The Connection error problem happens with account #1 that has the big Inbox. It's possible that the problem is somewhere in the communication between the G1 and comcast.net, my ISP. Somehow, while it is trying to get a lot of data about my big Inbox, the connection is dropping. Why this happens after a few seconds when, for example, I can browse the Web for hours with no apparent problems, is a mystery.

I also think that 2,000 messages in an Inbox is no big deal these days, and the software on the G1 should be smart enough to handle transmission delays or even dropped transmissions without crapping out. It should just try again and not give up until it sees the top 100 or so messages in my Inbox, and then go get more if I ask for them. Apparently, this is not what it does. It is trying to get at least some information about all 2,000 messages and giving up after a few seconds.

For all I know, the whole thing is Comcast's fault. It didn't seem, in talking to T-Mo that this was a common complaint (although they might not tell me even if it were) and if not, this may be the reason. There just may not be that many Comcast customers who are trying to view large Inboxes on the G1.

Anyway, the obvious work-around is to file more messages in folders and get them out of the Inbox. This is what I'm probably going to do.

SW

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks Steve, wow, 2000 messages! You are quite the opposite of me. I start moving them into folders from my inbox, as soon as the scroll bar appears, not just on my Treo but also on my laptop.

Keep us posted & good luck.
    Palm850/v0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11)

6. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

I do have around 20 subfolders in that email account, and I try to file stuff, I just have 3 years of uncategorized stuff as well. Last night I made a few more folders and got it down under 1,400 messages. Didn't help my issue, however.

SW