Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

From Ntwk2Wireless,...worth it ?

Discussion in 'Working or Investing in the Wireless Industry' started by PADutchman, Aug 13, 2005.

1. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

:loony: Greetings all-

I work for VZN / fGTE in PA. and am fed up. I have about 8 yrs. as a Ntwk, ckts tech., everything from POTS to OC48, switching,etc. But, I just can't stand the overwhelmingly negative work environment anymore.
    I'm thinking that perhaps a change to a "growth" area of telecom., like wireless, may be the answer. Am I even remotely correct ?
    If not, I'll likely bail out of telco altogether. My mental state will demand it.
    Thanks, Steve

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Well Comcast is offering net phone service. That is a logical transition for a wireling guy. Although the Verizon is said to be gearing up to compete against cable so they may actually expand with last mile fiber. What about switching to VZW instead of wireline?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Look at the job postings, and see where you could go in a different division. The suggestion of going from VZ to VZW was good; also, VZ should have (like BLS) has a business comm division for installing and servicing CPE like PBXs. Perhaps changing from an Inside (CO or center) tech to an Outside tech provisioning H2TURs and H4TURs for DS1 service from CO or RT would do, or other DLC work, giving up your desk or cubicle for a van or U-body pickup. Perhaps going from a fGTE area to a fBA area would be sufficiently different (perhaps just a wirecenter away, I don't know your area).

I am assuming you are covered by the VZ-CWA contract. We both know how useful these formal agreements can be for movement. Talk to your steward and co-workers, and learn what previous titles they liked best and why. Of course, you'll have to wait for an opening--but you'd have a giant edge on anyone off the street.

John (steward)

4. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

John:

Thats a big part of the problem. In my area, we are IBEW. We, as fGTE, have gotten an extremely raw deal with the whole merger. We make far less $$ than our CWA neighbors, yet cross many lines in the work environment. I don't sit in a cubicle. I can essentially trouble shoot a T1, refer it to myself, and go outside and work on it. I've been setting up and provisioning all kinds of ckts for over 5 yrs now, and the switches,...well,....they're basically just falling apart. In the fBA world, this would be 2 or 3 seperate techs. It sucks. We have no competent management, or any that are seriously interested fixing the problems. They all run scared of the evil VZN. As far as PBX stuff, fGTE in my area has all but given that up. Rumours are flying,........all fGTE for sale etc., in PA.
    In some respects, no, probably all, we were better off pre merger.
    As far as VZW goes, they are non union, (yes, VZW has been succesful thus far of blocking unionization--they throw the cell tech guys .40 / hour and they all shut up for another year or two) and manage entirely through intimidation. Last I knew, VZW in my region was down site techs (they're under paid BTW) with no likely approval to hire anyone.
    In one of Ivan Seidenbergs (VZN CEO - the whole shabang) quarterly video casts to VZN employees not too long ago, he actually conveyed a story that "while at the supper table, one of my kids asked me Dad, ...why do you make so much money?" To which Ivan replied, "because I earn it"
    Yep,....great leadership. Pass the BMW's please.
    The whole thing blows, and is taking it's tole on my mental state. I deserve a better company to work for damnit, than this wreched VZN.

Thanks for the input - Steve

p.s - on the transfer to fBA areas, it's a one way street. People have been trying, noone succesful that I know of. I tried 3 yrs ago, to go to an area 30 ,im. drive time to my North. Even though I'd lose my seniority, I thought the pay raise would be worth it. Oh, and do less work too ! At least not in craft jobs, and very, very few, in management that I've heard of.