Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Friends and Family Starts Feb 15, 2009

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by racquetballer, Feb 13, 2009.

1. racquetballer

racquetballer Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX11000 enV® TOUCH Ver
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW (Evil Empire) & Alltel
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

VZW's answer to My Circle will premier February 15, 2009. It will be called Friends and Family. You can follow the link below.

Friends & Family Will Forever Change The Way Customers View Their Verizon Wireless Calling Plans

Friends & Family Will Forever Change The Way Customers View Their Verizon Wireless Calling Plans

New Feature Lets Customers Customize Plans to Include Numbers They Call Most

Customer Inquiries

For customer inquiries, please call 800-922-0204 or go to
    Contact Us

Media Contact Info

Brenda Raney
    Brenda.Raney@VerizonWireless.com
    908-559-7518

02/12/2009

BASKING RIDGE, NJ — Verizon Wireless today announced Friends & Family®, a new feature that gives customers total control over how they use their plan minutes. Beginning Sunday, Feb. 15, Verizon Wireless customers will be able to identify five or 10 numbers as a Friends & Family calling group. Minutes used when placing or receiving calls to anyone in the calling group will not count against customers’ plan minutes. Customers can even include landline numbers or wireless numbers of those who haven’t yet switched to the nation’s largest, most reliable network. Friends & Family gives customers a flexible way to control their wireless spending and still talk to those individuals who are most significant to them. Changes to the Friends & Family directory are quick, easy and free.

“This is a milestone in the industry,” said Mike Lanman, vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless. “For the first time our customers can take control over their personal calling plans, build it to suit their needs yet still reap the benefits of being on the nation’s most reliable wireless network. And since there are no long distance charges, those numbers can be anywhere in the country. There is no charge to sign up and no charge, ever, to make changes to their Friends & Family calling directory.”

Customers wanting to take advantage of Friends & Family must have a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Single Line plan with 900 or more Anytime Minutes or a Nationwide Family SharePlan® with 1,400 or more Anytime Minutes. Customers on an eligible Nationwide Single Line plan, which starts at $59.99 monthly access, may select up to five numbers to add to their Friends & Family directory. Customers on an eligible Nationwide Family SharePlan, starting at $89.99 monthly access for the first two lines, may select up to 10 numbers for their Friends & Family directory to share among account users. Nationwide plans include Unlimited Night & Weekend minutes, no domestic roaming or long distance charges, and access to Mobile Web. Verizon Wireless customers also enjoy unlimited Mobile to Mobile calling with America’s largest calling family of more than 80 million customers.

Existing Verizon Wireless customers can visit www.verizonwireless.com/myverizon to sign up for My Verizon and check their eligibility for Friends & Family. Once a customer makes a change to his or her Friends & Family numbers, the new numbers will be effective the following day. Verizon Wireless expects to offer Friends & Family lines for business customers later this quarter. With this offering, business customers will have the convenience of managing their Friends & Family through the My Business online account management tool.

For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or visit Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless.

About Verizon Wireless
    Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and data network, serving more than 80 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I thought that Sprint had Friends & Family trademarked, or was that MCI? Somebody was selling a calling plan for landlines 15 years ago that had that name.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. racquetballer

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

Was used by MCI in their promos. MCI has been assimilated by VZW.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    LOL, MCI was assimilated by VZW. They have added MCI's uniqueness to their own... ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. racquetballer

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):

As you may already know. Alltel is in process of assimilation by VZW. LOL

6. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Yep, I sure do, and VZW will add Alltel's uniqueness to their own as well...

[​IMG]

7. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Nice touch but the required plans seem a little steep to me. I wouldn't come close to using 1400 minutes on a family plan so the F & F plan would do me no good at all, especially since Verizon to Verizon calls don't consume minutes anyway - do they?

TMobile's MyFav's seems a bit more consumer friendly.

8. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    No, Verizon to Verizon calls dont use minutes at all. I'm in the same boat as you Brad. I used to have the 1400 minutes plan months ago, but that was too expensive for me when that is combined with a BlackBerry. I was barely going past 700, so I switched to the 700 minutes plan. Now I barely use 400-500 minutes a month, so it wouldn't make sense for me to switch plans now. I am glad that Verizon at least have an option like this at all. I do like the possibility of almost unlimited calling on three lines being around $100 before taxes, though.

T- Mobile and Alltel's versions are more budget friendly. I wouldnt mind is Verizon offered this as a pay option on the lower plans (or have fewer numbers)... but it is a step in the right direction.

1 person likes this.
  9. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik New Member

My Phone:
    LG Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I'm with you. That's why I have an old Voyager and not a new BB Storm. If I have "unlimited" data on my plan why can't I use a BB or Windows mobile device without paying more for a special data plan?

I guess the answer is that would be good for my bottom line and not the Borg... Uh, I mean Verizon wireless. :)

10. rjniles

rjniles Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I thought I was eligible for VZW "Friends and Family" plan since I have a family plan with 2 lines and 1400 minutes. Seems I am not! According to the plan you must be on a Nation wide plan and I am on an "America's Choice" plan. ( America's Choice must be an old option because it is not longer listed as avaailable) Both the the Nation wide plan and America's choice plan cost $ 89.99 for 2 lines with 1400 minutes so I don't see the difference. Does this mean I must chance the name of my plan to a Nation wide plan and sign up for a 2 year contract? ( Not willing to do that since I will be out of contract in 4 months and considering a carrier change.)

11. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Great concept until you consider the price and the strings. Verizon does not seem to get it about the economy, yet. As more companies tank there will be less users to play games with. This Friends and Family thing looks like marketing rather substance.

12. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik New Member

My Phone:
    LG Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    True. If deflation keeps happening the price of everything will have to come down. I'm also considering the move back to Sprint so I can use a windows mobile device without paying for a special data plan.

13. xmfan08

xmfan08 New Member

The difference between America's Choice and Nationwide is mobile web is included with Nationwide but you get charged 1.99 per Mega Byte.

14. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    I don't think the big shots at Verizon got the message, yet.

15. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik New Member

My Phone:
    LG Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah, I knew a few of the "big shots" at VZW when I was there. The regional sales VP was this short feminine hygiene product that drove a super expensive sports car and talked in that annoying used car salesman speak. He had absolutely no clue about the day to day realities of a store and was basically tolerated long enough to just get rid of him whenever he came to "pep talk" the sales team.

The guys above him were worse. Something about upper management that just makes people complete :censored:'s

Oh well, reality will hit them soon enough and hopefully changes will be made.

16. mikewho

mikewho Junior Member

Nice concept but too pricey especially in todays economy. With it starting at the 900 plan ill have to pass. Id rather pay less for something like tmobile myfaves and if i had to upgrade to the $59.99 plan id rather spend it on rollovers from att. At least then i could use the leftover for all numbers and not just 5.

Good concept but just too expensive.

17. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    It seems like it's expensive initially, but the reason they started the F&F plan, on the second level plans just above the base plans for both single and family lines, has to do with the fact they have 80+ million customers. They would lose money hand over fist if they offered it on the lowest plans.

T-Mobile and Alltel are small enough to be able to offer something like this. It benefits them much more than it would the bigger players.

Now as far as AT&T's rollover, there is a limit. If you use up all your Rollover minutes, that's it! Your done. Rollover is great, but it doesn't harm AT&T's bottom line (as it's not giving away the farm keeping the feature).

I wish Verizon had it on the $39.99 basic individual plan (as that's what I'm on), but they don't. Yes, for Verizon this IS about money.

I'm glad they at least offered something similar to My Circle/My Faves. It wasn't something I never thought they'd ever consider.

I've been with Verizon (and its precursors) for 15 years. They're expensive compared to the others, but they've worked for me and I can live with their behavior. They work where I need them to and I'm happy with their service. In the end, that's all that matters (for me, anyway).

18. mikewho

mikewho Junior Member

Verizon does deserve some credit for it since if you are already on the 900 plan you can add it basically for no extra charge. They would prob lose alot of money if it was available on the $39 plan but if they did it would probably destroy the competition until the competition reacted with something similar.

19. mikewho

mikewho Junior Member

Well, im back in the family. Today in the mail verizon offered me two free months to get service with them again and i took the bait. Didnt think i would but when the offer actually came in i couldnt resist. Another good thing is that im eligible for an upgrade whenever i want so if a new phone comes out that i like i can get it at the new price.

20. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik New Member

My Phone:
    LG Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I bet they could offer all kinds of better services if they got out of the phone business. Just sell the service. Remember back in the day when nobody owned a phone? When I was a kid everyone leased their phones from the phone company. It was a small extra charge on your bill every month. I still remember when IL. bell opened the phone store where you could actually go in and just buy a phone!

Here's the commercial from 1982...

IL Bell phone store commercial

But, I could be wrong.