Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

FREEUP Question...

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Airb330, May 1, 2002.

1. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I already have FREEUP with a 5185i, but can you activate any Verizon phone on the FREEUP prepay service. A friend of mine wants to get it but hates the 2135(kyocera), and I don't blame him. Is it possible to get the Nokia 5185i, or maybe the Motorola 120c? Thanks.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

You can purchase any phone verizon has to offer for any of their services. I had purchased a motorola timeport 270c to use with free up.
    Cind

3. Guest

Guest Guest

You can purchase any phone that you like at retail.... Unfortunately Verizon Wireless does not subsidize the cost of prepaid phones..

4. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    bummer. There should be sometype of discount yuo are afterall activating service

Jack

Ps. Just my 2 cents

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No, that poster was wrong. Verizon FREEUP service costs the same amount as a one year plan. So for instance the Kyocera 2235 is 79.99 with 2 year service, it is 109.99 for a 1 year contract or FREEUP. It is NOT retail price, but the price of a one year service. Quite a good deal if you ask me.

6. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    Got a question for you folks. I'm using FreeUp with a 2135 but I'm really thinking about upgrading to a LG 510. Does Verizon offer any type of "trade in" program where I can trade in my 2135 and migrate to a LG 510 at a discounted price? If not, any idea what a LG 510 would run me? I suppose I could always sell the 2135 on ebay to make up some of the cost. Thanks for any info.

7. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No, they don't. I asked this cause I really want to get rid of my 5185, and so does my cousin. But, you'd have to buy a full price phone, but they can switch over your account, so at least you wouldn't lose your minutes. The LG would probably go for 30$ more than what is listed on their website. (It was 179.99 with FREEUP or a 1 year activation in Dover (DE), thats the phone my cousin and I both liked too!

8. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    The lg510 is $250 without activation or on freeup

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Jack,
    Ok forget that then. I'll stick with my 2135.

10. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am telling you though that FREEUP costs the same as a one year agreement.....at least in my store. FREEUP phones do not go at retail! In the store, its for instance 49.99 for 2 year service, then it says in small text (79.99 with one year service agreement or FREEUP)..it's not retail price!!

11. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Ok airb330

In my market it is full price for the phone for freeup NO discounts.

Different markets different rules

Jack

12. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    the more that I think about it, I think what airb said is true for my area too. I remember when I was choosing a phone the sales guy pointed out the different pricing on the tags. I may swing by my Verizon store just to check. I still think that LG phone is gonna be a bit too pricey for me, but in reality the only thing I dislike about my 2135 is that it's not a flip phone. In any case, thanks for the info everyone!

13. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That sucks for the people in your area Jack [​IMG]. I really wish Verizon would have the same policies, prices, and promotions nation-wide like Sprint. It's only fair. Verizon is offering a shitload of minutes out west for it's local plans but not here.

14. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Exactly

also out west their night and weekends start at 8pm where here they start at 9pm

Jack

15. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    While we're on the subject of FreeUp, I recently saw some FreeUp commercials that say you get 200 free weekend minutes when you setup your account or ReUp with $50 or more. I got FreeUp in early May. I suppose there's no way I can get those 200 minutes that you get now when you setup your account but I can only get them if I add $50 or more to my account. If so, looks like another promo I missed out on [​IMG] Oh well atleast I'm still getting the rebate.

16. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No, that promo was going on when you setup your account. Try checking online, to see how many weekend minutes you have. If you never got those 200, I'd go down to the store and bother them. When my cousin and I activated ours....it was 1000 bonus weekend minutes!! Btw, have you seen the new freeup commercial with some girl singing and carrying around a v60c!? I hope that they pick that one for the next FREEUP package deal, and get rid of that ugly kyocera (no offense, my stepdad has that phone with freeup 2!)

17. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Airb,
    I know what you mean about the Kyocera being ugly. That purple/blue was just awful. However, the sales guy switched faceplates so I got a black one (thank God!). As far as the weekend minutes, I setup my account on May 3rd and I don't show any weekend minutes when I check my account online. I'll swing by a Verizon store and also email customer service and bug them. As far as phones, despite what alot of people say, I tend to like my Kyocera. It's not the greatest phone(and I'd prefer a flip), but the menus, features, and call clarity are all noticably better than the Nokia 5165 that I had for like 2 weeks(I lost it at a party). I'm just glad I got a black faceplate for mine though otherwise I'd only use it in the dark [​IMG]

18. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Verizon at one point had a lg510 freeup package that was $200 and is now discontinued

Hopefully they will get more packages but the kyocera is a good performer and you can always change the faceplates

Jack

19. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes Jack you are right I remember that now. It'd be nice if they came out with a new package soon, yes you can get any phone with FREEUP, but it is a much better deal with the packages!

20. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well I emailed Verizon and found out the promotion began May 6th. I joined May 3rd. Looks like I'm out of luck. Oh well, I was planning on getting a 50 card soon so I'll get some weekend minutes that way. 200 should be plenty for me(especially since Weekends don't begin until midnight saturday) so it's not big loss.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

those 200 free minutes with a 50 card or 50 free minutes with a 30 card are all off peak minutes--not only weekend minutes

22. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Anonymous, are you sure about that? If so that's great. I was under the impression they were weekend minutes.

23. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    About Verizon's weird pricing, in my area (CT), with a new rate plan the Kyocera 2135 is 79.99. The 2235 is 69.99. Talk about not making sense, 10 dollars less for a better phone. I'm convinced that Verizon pricing just doesn't make sense.

24. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Mooby,

I will agree with that

Jack