Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

FreeUp Kyocera 2135 Roaming Question

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Mooby, May 22, 2002.

1. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    So I went to Boston tonight for a Red Sox game(I live in CT). I checked my phone(Kyocera 2135) on the way there(right by Fenway) and the roaming indicator was on and the banner said "Digital Roaming". I got a call while I was there. I got home and checked my online summary and I was billed for my normal rate. So I wasn't actually roaming(which is correct). However, the phone said I was. Is this a function of the phone or the provider? Is there a way to tell if I'm truly roaming or not? This is the first time I've left the state of CT with the phone in case that matters. It wasn't until we were back into CT(around Ashford) on I-84 that the roaming turned off and my banner went back to normal. I'm gonna go to a Verizon store tomorrow and see what they make of it but I'm curious what you guys have to offer. As I said, I was billed properly but I didn't know if I was roaming or not at the time. Do I need to simply memorize where Verizon has coverage [​IMG] Thanks for any info!

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The reason why your phone may say its roaming is because when wireless systems were originally designed, the phones used the system ID number to depict your home area. Back then, home areas were much smaller than what they are now. So, if you went out of your home area, your phone will notice the system ID number change and will display roaming. You can't see the system ID number unless you g into a test screen on your phone. Nowadays, to make areas larger, home areas now consist of two or more system IDs. However, the phone still relies on the system ID number to tell you whether you are roaming or not. So needless to say, with home areas growing larger and national rate plans becoming the standard, you can't rely on your phone's display to determine if you are roaming. You just gotta know where you are and which area your plan depicts as home. This is the way it works with TDMA carriers and with Verizon and other CDMA carriers except Sprint. With Sprint you are only roaming when you pick up an analog signal.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Bobo,

You just taught me something I hadn't heard before (or don't remember learning). Thanks!

Regarding Sprint, it is now possible to "roam" using digital as well. Larry ("Mr. I-Luv-Sprint") has posted this on several occasions.

Boy I love this forum!

5. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    To futher complicate the matter or the question I should say. One of the people I went with was a friend of mine from home. He's living in Boston this summer but he has his Motorola V120c from Verizon with his 860 number. At home he lives just down the street from me. His motorola said nothing about roaming while we were at the game. Perhaps the phone was activated in Boston with his CT number? Any ideas? I'm just confused as to why mine said "roaming" yet my friend's said nothing of roaming. He's on a rate plan if that matters while I'm on freeup. I for one am stumped.

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Some newer phones don't pay attention to the SID to display a roaming indicator. Instead, they only display the network name being broadcasted (such as "Verizon"). Some phones are programmed to interpret the network name broadcasted and display whatever is programmed into it based on the SID. With newer models coming out, roaming indicators will disappear eventually. I used to have a Nokia 5120 that had a triangle icon that indicated roaming and was displayed whenever i went to south jersey even though its part of my home area. South jersey has a different SID than north jersey. However, my new 3360 doesnt display roaming indicator no matter where I go. Instead, the banner changes from "Cingular" to "Cingular Extended" when I move into AT&T or someone else's network instead of displaying the real network name. The rate plan chosen will not affect the display on your phone. Whether you have a national or local plan, if your phone uses roaming indicators it will show it depending where you go.

I wasn't aware of that from Sprint Kev...thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    You can only digital roam with some tri-mode sprint pcs phones

Jack

8. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Hmm I would think the Kyocera would go by a banner most newer phones do now. My Nokia 5165 does anytime I'm on a SunCom or AT&T network my phone says "SunCom AT&T" and if I am roaming I see "Partner" or "Roam" on my phone.

9. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    It all depends on how the particular cell phone is set up

Jack

10. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Ok so I stopped by a verizon store and got fairly clear answer. Essentially, my friend's phone was not roaming because he has the AC post pay plan. Those phones are setup differently than the prepay plans. Not sure why or how but that's what he said. The only true way to see if I am roaming or not is to try and place a call. It'll tell me if I'm off the Verizon network. I can hang up before the call is connected(during the announcement about minutes left) and not get charged. Looks like when I see the roaming indicator I'll just try calling a number and hang up before it connects to see if I'm truly roaming or not. I guess it's just due to the prepaid nature of it. Oh well, I can live with that. I'm happy I can roam on Verizon's network. With my old AT&T phone I would be charged roaming if I left my home state.

11. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    As Popeye used to say: "Well blow me down!" The poster never indicated he was prepay. Just a small insignificant little detail.

12. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Um yes I did. Look at the subject header. It clearly says FreeUp. [​IMG]

13. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    kevin--look at the title Freeup is verizon wireless prepay service

have you talked to verizon

Jack

14. Guest

Guest Guest

with verizons free up--while roaming and to make a call you will surely know--because you will have to dial the number as long distance (usually) and also have to put your own phone number in--no need to hang up on anyone

15. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I use the freeup for traveling, I have noticed that if you are roaming off the Verizon network and recieve a call, it does not notice that you are off their network and you are only charged the normal rate. Now if you place a call you will get charged the roaming rate. Also another little quark about the freeup, if you hook a data cable to your phone for a laptop, it dont record those minutes at all, dont know how long that will keep happening, but its nice for now. By the way I am using a Sprint Kyocera 6035 that I was able to reprogram for Verizon.

16. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes Coal is right. I've roamed off of Sprint in Chicago, since my phone was looking for a 1900 signal since that was the signal where I was staying, but where I was VZW was 800. So anyway I was never charged the off network rate.....I've never been able to call anyone while I was on Sprint. I hope VZW makes Chicago all one frequency soon, betcha alot of ppl roamed off Sprint in my group and got charged! Sometimes it's good to have FREEUP!