Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Free internet with Verizon?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by kawal, Feb 17, 2006.

1. kawal

kawal New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Startac 7868W
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have an older Motorola Startac phone and currently use Verizon's QNC (Quick Net Connect) with my laptop by dialing #777 and use "qnc" as user name and password. It costs only minutes with no monthly charge, but it is very slow (14k).

Is it possible to connect to a faster service that has no monthly charge?

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    14.4 is what you're gonna get for minutes. Anything faster is going to require a data plan, and probably a newer phone too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kawal

kawal New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Startac 7868W
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Someone said I MIGHT be able to get "1x" if I set up my modem differently. So I was hoping the forum might be able to help. Probably wishful thinking though. :)

4. djdubber

djdubber New Member

when you say "it costs only minutes", you mean they charge you by the minute? more like dial up internet?

how much per minute?

5. Scenicroadways

Scenicroadways Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I use it all the time with my v710, just uses your minutes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    It's called Circuit Switched Data or CSD for short...

7. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I use 1x for data/Internet through my phone--it also uses minutes when you don't have a data plan. I'm not sure what changes to configuration you'll have to make though.

8. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    too bad the StarTac only supports 14.4 dialup. It's not a 1xrtt capable phone. :)

9. Computerman897

Computerman897 New Member

Okay people, here is a crash course on Free Verizon Internet.

First, get the USB cable and the correct drivers for your phone. They are everywhere, so google search the phone, and get them.

Second, enter #073887* (#0setup*), and 000000 for the security code. Navigate to Test Mode, and enable it. Exit to the main menu.

OKAY PEOPLE, THE NEXT STEPS ARE EXTREMLY DANGEROUS, DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT, EDIT ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHAT IS TOLD!!! IT CAN DAMAGE YOUR PHONE, AND THE ONLY WAY TO REPAIR IT IS TO DO A SETUP>INITIAL SETUP>MASTER RESET. I am not liable for any damages to your phone if you screw up.

Okay, paying heed to the warning above, hit CLR then left softkey very quickly. The screen will blank out and FTS will appear at the top. Hit the right softkey 4 times until ServOpt: NoChg at the top. Press down until HDR Pref has a Greater than sign next to it. Then hit the Right soft key unitl HDR Pref: cdma appears. Then exit, and hit CLR left softkey quickly again. Repeat step 2 only disabling Test Mode. Don't Exit this yet.

Now, open Web Sessions, and Create New, Enter what ever name you want, and go to Gateway IP 1. Enter 64, then press left, until the cursor is to the left of the period. Then enter 233, then 167, and finally 99. When finished, it should read 64.233.267.99 . Click okay, and then scroll down to Port 1 and enter 80. Other ports can be left default. Click done, and it'll say Stored: (Name). Now select (Name), then press Options, and set it as the Default.

Congrats, now mobile browsing from your phone SHOULD be free, if not, I am not liable for any mistakes, you did this at your leisure, and thereby is your fault. Now, to use your phone as a modem, connect it to your computer with the USB cable, let it install the drivers. Make sure it installs Motorola USB modem. If it doesn't then find new drivers. Now, open Start, and the connect to menu, On the right, create a new connection, click next, and then bullet in Connect to the Internet, Set it up manually, and connect using a dial up modem. Click ONLY the usb modem, and then next, Name it somthing like Verizon Free Internet, and then click next, enter #777, then click next.

Now, under username, enter XXXXXXXXXX@vzw3g.com with you wireless phone # as the X's. Under Password enter vzw. Then next.

Next go to start, Run, and enter inetcpl.cpl, then navigate to the connect tab, and select this new connection, click settings, and make sure all the username and pass info are there, Note: the Password may be longer than normal, it's just windows screwing with you. Now click properties, and teh security tab. Click advanced (custom settings), and then settings, unselect all of these execpt PAP Unencrypted Password. Click okay, and yes on the popup warning. Close all the other windows by way of the OKAY button at the bottom.

There, now this connection will operate at speeds that almost border some DSL lines, and only uses wireless minutes, no data, so nights after 9 and Weekends are free. It's in the connect to menu.

For those of you on laptops with a normal DSL or other connection by way of network, go to Start, Run, inetcpl.cpl, click on the connections tab, and MAKE SURE, that "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" is selected.

10. ian1001

ian1001 Junior Member

My Phone:
    moto razr v3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon wireless
    this is for the moto razr so please label it as such:)

11. Computerman897

Oh, sorry, as for the Internet through the computer, still use the username XXXXXXXXXX@vzw3g.com and password vzw.

12. ian1001

ian1001 Junior Member

My Phone:
    moto razr v3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon wireless
    i believe the startag uses a different address as it is not 3g

13. Computerman897

Again sorry. I though that all of verizon was connected to the 3g network.

14. jmc15john

jmc15john New Member

Wow!!! Thanks so much for that tutorial, I got my internet up and running via my phone right now. I got download speeds of 125 kbps and upload at 107 kbps, that faster than DSL. Thanks so much for the help, I've been working on this for hours and hours and then I found this guide and walla it works. Thanks again!!!

John-Mark

15. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Careful. If you are on one of Verizon's new Nationwide plans that they began offering in November 2007, they now charge data by the kb unless you're on a data plan.

16. txt master

txt master New Member

:eek: is this also for the lg VX8700 ?

17. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    It doesn't matter the phone, if you use data on one of the new Nationwide Plans, they now charge according to how much data is used. That's just how its billed to your account unless you're on a data plan. The AC plans still count it by minutes though. So it's really determined by which plan you're on.

18. billp

billp Junior Member

My Phone:
    lg vx8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    Wirelessly posted (Lg vx8300: LGE-VX8300/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

How about if u have vpack

19. aarathi

aarathi New Member

If you're talking about using your phone to access Mobile Web (surfing, downloading applications), try to do it during your unlimited nights/weekends period when it won't cost you anything.

20. JackM3

JackM3 Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8310 unlocked
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Something free? With Verizon? LOL!!!

21. dakotagirl

dakotagirl New Member

Thanks for this tutorial. I'm a little stumped on the part where it says:

open Web Sessions, and Create New, Enter what ever name you want, and go to Gateway IP 1. Enter 64, then press left, until the cursor is to the left of the period. Then enter 233, then 167, and finally 99. When finished, it should read 64.233.267.99 . Click okay, and then scroll down to Port 1 and enter 80. Other ports can be left default. Click done, and it'll say Stored: (Name). Now select (Name), then press Options, and set it as the Default.

How do I access this menu? I don't see "Web Sessions" as one of my menu choices. Yes, I am still in the menu area where I had to use the six zeros as the password for. Maybe my phone is so old that it doesn't have the software update that gives this option. Some guidance would be appreciated.

My choices are: Browser Reset, User Activation, AKEY, Extended NAM, Vocode: EVRC, Date Rates, SPC Overwrite Permit, System ID, SID/NID Pair, Test Mode, Getit Now Config, and GPS Settings.

22. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    This thread is 5 years old. I would think by now Verizon has disabled this.