Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Free calls to US and Canada

Discussion in 'The Roaming Zone' started by Buickman, May 15, 2006.

1. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    Now that I have you attention, Does everyone know what Skype is? If you don't, it is a free VOIP service you can get at Skype.com. The service has always been free for computer-to-computer calls, and then there are very good rates for international calls with a service called "Skype out" that you can use to call normal phones. But back to the point of this, they have a new promotion going on right now until the end of the year where calls to US and Canadain phones are free. Just thought I would let you all know, maybe save some money on the phone bill.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    hey buickman, do you have a link, thanks, dan.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
  4. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    thanks, i shoulda known it would have been that easy. i think i played around with this before. anyway it sounds neat o.

5. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It is cool. My family members across Europe have been using that to call us in the States. It's really cheap, but now that it's free they tend to call multiple times a day. ;) It is a pretty neat thing, and even if calls are not free like this promo, it is still very cheap, especially if you are calling from overseas.

6. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I don't know. I already have over 1,000 rollover minutes, unlimited M2M and 5,000 N&W. I can pretty much make the calls on my real (Wireless) phone. Maybe once in 2 or 3 years I'll call Canada, but otherwise all my calls are domestic, and therefore "free" anyway.

-Jay

7. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Same here, but I think this is mostly pointed at people either without cellphones or people overseas that call the U.S.

8. Shizam76

Shizam76 Shizam! Babyyyyy!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    VOIP is cool.....very cheap...same features you would get with your landline but with more!

I use Vonage www.vonage.com

I have the 500 minute package.....it's $14.99 per month plus tax...$16.92 or something. I can call US and Canada. 800 numbers don't deduct from 500, nor do calls to my Vonage voicemail. This beats SBC....well sorry, at&t which would bill me about 60 bucks a month for 200 long distance/unlimited local minutes.

Basically all it is, is an emergency line that is cheap. I do most calling on the cell (as I just had to upgrade plans because of this :O ) It's a number I can give the dentist and the movie place and all those things I don't want to bother me on my cell.

It's still fairly new...there are some bugs....sometimes the audio is a bit choppy at times....but Vonage is growing faster than its britches I think...so they have some issues....but for 15 bucks a month I can't complain.

9. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    The problem with most of these VOIP services is their 911 capability - YMMV on whether that is important to you on not.

I used to have Vonage but ditched it because I coudn't get a straight answer from them regarding their E911 plans, and with a 6 year old and a 1.5 year old at home, having a functioning 911 is a high priority.

So, I went back to a Verizon landline. What I did to control costs was to really get rid of all options - no 3 way calling, no extended area, etc. etc. Basically, if I call even the oulying 'burbs from Portland, it will be a long distance call.

What I have done for long distance is to use onesuite.com. It is a calling card that is very cheap and you have a web interface to set up your home number for dialing without a pin number.

10. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-8720_/00.62 UP.Browser/6.2.3.4.c.1.104 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Have you ever considered sunrocket voip? They are the best deal imo. I have used them for a few months now and can't complain.

11. Shizam76

Shizam76 Shizam! Babyyyyy!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Never heard of them Andy...but will check them out.

Have you ever had choppy audio....or other problems at all with them?

12. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Let me tell you: I got a little scared at first because some online reviews raved about them, others said how it goes down all the time and how bad the quality is. I have experienced none of that. Customer SErvice is nice and helpful, and audio is always great. The only time I sometimes get choppy audio is when I dialed a number and it's ringing it sometimes(very rarely though) garbled part of the ring for just a second. Other than that, though, I love it. International calling is cheap and you get a $3 call credit every month. The online interface is great, and for $199 for one year I get everything(unlimited minutes/features, plus $3 call credit for out overseas), the GIZMO adapter, as well as a free two handset phone system all without shipping. And if I cancel I will get my prorated months fee back. All for about $16 per month. I really can't complain.

13. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm not sure what VOIP company you were with but i know that SunRocket stores your address and information for E911 purposes so it will appear when you call 911. It can't be transmitted at this point so when you sign up it reminds you to be sure to give them your exact address for E911 purposes and that it may take up to 30 days to put it into the system for E911 purposes or something like that. No big deal for me.

14. Buickman

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones

Keep in mind that this promo is only for free calls FROM the US and Canada. I don't know how they enforce it, maybe they just look at the IP address you are coming from. I suppose you could always get around that by using a proxy server in the US or something like that. But remember that computer to computer calls are always free, and the sound quality is unreal. for those that haven't used it, it doesn't sound like a phone call, it sounds like someone is talking into a mic of a PA system and you are listening to the speaker.

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You have a point. I guess I didn't read close enough to realize that it's only for calls FROM the U.S. and Canada. I will have to ask my family members in Europe if they are still getting charged for calls to my phone in the U.S.

16. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    What's to keep you from lying where you are when you sign up? I know on one of my hotmail accounts that I have just to divert spam I told them I was a 25y/o woman from Uganda.

-Jay

17. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Because I don't lie. :rolleyes:

18. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    But how about bending the truth??? LOL

19. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That's my favorite way out a LIE ;)

20. Buickman

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    I never lie, I may willingly participate in a campaign of missinformation, but I never lie. :browani:

21. Buickman

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    You don't tell them where you are. Like I said, I'm guessing they can tell your location by the IP address you are coming from.