Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

FREE Anytime minutes

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by grazzzy, May 7, 2007.

1. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

anybody gotten this letter from alltel promising 100 free additional anytime minutes on the Total Freedom Plan? the small print indicates that calls outside of your home area and long distance charges on those calls will be charged. sounds like a trap for the unwary instead of a "reward for your loyalty". and before anyone asks, i have to use the total freedom plan because of where i travel in order to avoid roaming charges. :eek:

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    People on all of Alltel's plans get those letters. I don't think they're just for Total Freedom customers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    The out of home area is roaming only. Since you have TF it will not apply to you unless you go outside the US.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

that's probably true, but the letter says that offer is valid only so long as i stay on the TOTAL freedom plan. then it says "long distance calls made from within your home calling area will still be subject to long distance charges ..." (without this "bonus" they are not) ... then "any calls made from outside your home calling area are subject to roaming additional minute & long-distance charges."

5. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

i called the 611 alltel cust service # and they confirmed that the home area for TF is the entire US and there should be no roaming throughout the country, despite the language of the disclaimer concerning roaming and long distance charges. she also says that the 100 FREE minutes are used first and are limited to that line before it starts using the 500 family minutes allocated to all 4 phones. that sounds good, but i'd like to hear some of you "veterans" confirm it before i take the plunge and sign up.

6. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-E815_/00.62 UP.Browser/6.2.3.4.c.1.106 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

The free minutes are treated like a plan addon if you ever go over your minutes they will kick in. it is not like your plan will just show 100 min. more. It can't hurt you at all by accepting it. The difference is instead of getting ld+overage, compared to just ld. Calls made to numbers in your own area code would not be given ld charges. You can check with cs to make sure the total freedom areas are covered as well concerning the second part. Either way its a good thing, just don't count on the minutes when calling out of the area code phone numbers.

7. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-E815_/00.62 UP.Browser/6.2.3.4.c.1.106 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Just saw your second post...it's ok to sign up for it, no real gotchas involved despite the weasal language. :) it does only apply to that line, the minutes as far as i know only apply after the regular anytime minutes first. But it sounds like cs said otherwise?

8. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

thanks for the answer. i think it has to be freedom minutes first because the other 500 are shared minutes. but i'll check that out.

9. dhcalva

dhcalva New Member

You should post the code for the rest of us... On my old plan, I used the code multiple times on different lines. (100 free minutes on my line, my mother's line, my boss's line, and our 6 lines at work).

10. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

This is not exactly true. The phone does have a designated "home" area which would be the same calling area as though your were on a Greater Freedom plan. It's just that Alltel eats 100 percent of the roaming costs. Thats why TF plans cost more, get less minutes, and cap n/w and m2m.