Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

For the Dealers Don't You hate When This happens??

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by CellguyNY, Dec 14, 2001.

1. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

I recently have been coming across customers that have been sent mail from various wireless carriers such as Voicstream and AT&T. These companys have sent mail to local customers offering them plans the dealer could never offer such as right now my store offers the $39.99 plan with 500 weekday minutes and unlimited weekends I had a customer come to me and hand me something from there mail and asked if I carried this plan 600 and unlimited weekends. AT&T has offered the 39.99 plan to some of my customers over the phone at a lower price also waiving the activation fee if they sign up with the rep on the phone. Now I don't know about this I make an honest living in this business and I don't appreciate corporate monsters stealing my customers that I work to get for my commissions. Has any other dealer had a similar or if not the same problem. Appreciate the feedback guys.

CellguyNY

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Did you check the dat on the Voicestream paper? There was a time about 2 months ago where it was 600 min and wunlimited free weekends. Also Voicestream offers special plans to people to renue their contract.

Quote:
    AT&T has offered the 39.99 plan to some of my customers over the phone at a lower price also waiving the activation fee if they sign up with the rep on the phone

What do you mean a lower price on the 39.99 plan? Do you mean that plan for less money? Explain that a bit more.

3. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

The way the customer explained it to me is that they were getting the 39.99 plan for 29.99 they were being offered 400 and unlimited nights and weekends for 29.99 and also a brand new 8260 if they signed up with the rep over the phone i don't mind if they call up att and see what they can get but not in the middle of my store its just simply unethical. Nextel i have heard today during work from another customer is still offering the 99.99 unlimited plan to customers over the phone but the dealers cant sell it anymore since August of this year. These companys get on my nerves some times.

CellguyNY

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Whoa! Cellguy, when DO you work? I just reviewed the stats on the Today link. You're posting a fraction over 18 posts per day, which is more than four-times what I post. At that rate, you'll pass me up in about one month. You've already moved up to the number 3 poster on the group! You may not be "smoking" anything (private joke), but man how many cups of coffee you drinking? ;-)

5. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Hmmm...my guess is that it was not ATT. There is a store around here called Cellular-Plus. They advertise the same plans for cheaper. This is because they give you a check for a certain amount, depending on the plan, after your year of service is done.

So say it is the ATT plan, $40 a month. They give you a $60 check after 1 year so the ad reads $30, then in small print for 6 monnths after $60 rebate check.

I guess if it is Nextel they would offer deals like that to buisness customers.

6. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

The cups of coffee keep coming Kevin and the caffeine keeps you moving (Just kidding) not a big coffee fan, every once an awhile. But if you notice the times of my posts they are either early in the morinig till around 1 or 2 and then between the hours of 3-10 i'm no where in this forum till late at night like now, but there are alot of issues to be discussed in the forum and i enjoy arguing my points with highly technical users and other fellow dealers, its an ongoing subject because this business is moving faster than the deli business i actually counted one day for every deli that pops up in an area at least three wireless dealerships follow scary three years ago out in Long Island a suburb of NY your nearest competitor would be a town or two over but now they are as close as across the street, which makes my job all that more tougher and when i read about current issues about wireless companies it gives me that edge that some other dealers don't have. I just wish i knew about this site earlier around when you guys joined, but don't be surprised in the coming week if my average decreases a little due to the bombardment of customers during the holiday season and the extra overtime i will be putting in.

CellguyNY

7. Donny

Donny New Member

Nice to see the forum change up, it has been a long while since I have visited. Looks like a lot more activity as well.

I know what you mean about the Carriers competing unfairly against Dealers. Let me explain, and releive some frustration at the same time.

I have been selling Nextel for 3-4 years now for a Dealer, (Nextel's Largest Dealer in the BAWA Market). Over the years we have seen some changes. About a year ago, Nextel decided to cut Dealer Commissions and reduce the handset subsidy to help satisfy stockholder concerns. I think it goes much further than that. Nextel, IMHO, does all they can to reduce the amount of $$$ paid to Dealers. This can be found in the form of Special Discounts on Rate Plans, Selective Advertising (Available to Retail Stores Only), Protected Accounts, special provisions concerning cancellation policies, ect, ect, not to mention new definition of what can constitute a Chargeback.

Case in Point: Had an account looking to get 15 phones for 1 location. Company has several locations in this market so it could have been bigger. This account needed to be with-in their budget, which we were only $3.50/mo away from, per unit. After several weeks Nextel said "No Go". Yet one week later, a customer comes in to our store with a coupon/voucher allowing them to receive $10 off any rate plan! The card said "Only available at Nextel Retail Store". This burned me up! To make matters worse, we had to tell the customer we are a dealer and they have to go to the Retail Store. Well this Lady proceded to yell at us, saying we didn't want to help her. Go Figure.

We have always serviced all of our customers with loaner phones and sent their phones in for repair. Now there is a program in place for customers to sign up, swap their phones out for a refurb phone straight from Motorola. No waiting period for the customer. The kicker is Customer Service refers callers to visit us, Nextel Retail Stores do absolutely no Service work! So in addition to all the crap we have to put up with concerning Nextel taking away sales and accounts, we service customers who don't purchase from us.

Sorry to rant, I know what you mean about specials directly from the Carrier.

8. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Donny. That is outrageous! With the scales tipped firmly in their favor, why doesn't the store owner drop Nextel. They have changed the game rules so often, I should think you guys are no longer bound to any contract with them.

9. Donny

Donny New Member

Believe me, some days I would think that would be great! it is truely a love hate relationship. We sold AT&T and Voicestream, but Nextel has always been our bread and butter. We beleive Nextel makes the most sense for business customers, and that is who we target. Especially with all the Data Applications currently available, and soon to be available. In Nextel's last conference call, a caller asked how the severe reduction in commissions will affect Dealers and hence reduce sales from the indirect channel. The response was something along the lines of "The Dealers know the value of this product and we don't see them going anywhere." The sad thing is he is correct. Secondly, Our company motto on the hold music recording states we are "How Nextel Gets Done". Third, the HUGE customer base we have built over the years, I don't think it is really something we can divorce ourselves from especially with all the Data opportunities becoming available. i just needed to vent.

One of two things will happen in the near future, I am guessing; 1) Nextel will be bought out or 2) Our company will be bought out by Nextel. We will see.

10. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I had heard rumors (like static on a bad analog line--a lot of crackle but no clear message) that ATT Wireless may have been making amorous overtures toward Nextel. ("Hey baby, wanna come over to my pad?") But I couldn't find any substantial evidence to that effect. Have you heard anything along that line?