Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Floating reception

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by zhila, Jun 13, 2005.

1. zhila

zhila New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola c975
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Zingular
    How to explaine when reception jumps up and down, from 5 bars to none in one place?

2. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Switching between two towers, probably b/c the one with the better signal has a larger load, so it's trying to get your phone on another tower.

Just an idea.

3. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Sounds right, assuming it only happens in ONE location consistantly. If it's happening everywhere, your antenna might have a short, or may not be making a physical connection to the circuit board in your phone. (That happened to me with a V60c.) Just keep an eye it in other locations.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Most likely, network problems, but it could be anything.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. temnik

temnik New Member

Happens to me quite often with my CDM9900/VZW. I do *228 often, even went to a store and had it flashed, but no noticeable improvement. I'm ready to go call VZW and really complain and demand to change phones, but what do I tell them?

I get about 3 bars at home, but calls often get dropped - bars suddenly go to zero and then back to 3 - mostly around 5-7pm time. Also, phone sometimes "wanders" into analog mode despite having 5 bars reception.

6. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Your phone can show a good signal, then suddenly drop when you try to place a call due to network capacity. If the tower your phone is "on" has too many callers already when you hit SEND, it will try to dish you off to another tower. In this case the other tower is giving you a weaker signal. This is just based on my understanding of the technology. I'd say there's nothing wrong with your phone.

7. temnik

temnik New Member

Hmmm... must be that new Goldman office tower in my neighborhood. Do I call and demand a new/bigger cell then? :cool: The embarassing thing is, T-morbid gets better reception in my home - and no droppage. I'd have to use T-mobile phone to call VZW customer service about the reception... :mad:

8. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    It's a bit complicated to explain without drawing pictures, but say you were in between 2 (or even three towers.) If one of the towers had more capacity (carriers) than the other towers, based on your phone number you would automatically be assigned to your default carrier which would overide the power of the closer tower.)

Tower A (Carrier 1, Carrier 2)

You (based on phone number you default to carrier 2)

Tower B (Carrier 1) (closer and more powerful tower)

Extra carriers are added in areas that need additional capacity (on 800 Mhz.) In 1900 Mhz in most cases extra carriers are not added, they have to actually build extra towers.)

Sometimes this can explain why you will see a strong signal then when you place a call you drop down to low signal levels.

The solution would be to add additional "carriers" on the other towers, but that is very costly and tough to make a business case for.

The very best way to help solve your problem is to have trouble tickets called into Verizon. The more tickets they get for an area, the better they are able to justify the cost of additional capacity or coverage. You need to actually call customer service and call in the trouble ticket. Just telling your local retail store rep of the problem is not going to help. You need to have a record in their system of the problem.

My sister has the 9900 I really wish it wasn't such a short run, that phone takes awesome pictures.

9. RichXKU

RichXKU Once had +5 dBm RSSI

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Are we talking CDMA here? In this area Verizon runs the same carriers on all of its towers. I believe they have 3 or more. No matter where we are phone A would be on carrier 384 and phone B would be on 425. with the same PN Offset. Seems kind of strange that they would have 1 tower with a certain carrier and the next one down the road wouldnt have it?