Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Fit Wireless Scam?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by ComicalMoodyDan, Apr 25, 2012.

1. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Has anybody noticed the ads for Fit Wireless on this website? Apparently they claim to run on Sprint's network use smart phones priced cheaply and monthly service cheap. I've never heard of the company and they are not on WOT's website data base. Also when you click on the link it starts an audio clip on how it "Works". Apparently you have to do a survey before you sign up and do them now and again cause thats how it "works". The online shopping and website just looks cheap and slapped together fast. To me it looks like a total scam to steal people's money and credit card information. Plus I'd say likely get peoples emails and just spam them like crazy as well.

What do you all think?

2. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    There is a number of things that point to it being a scam. One is as I said its not listed on WOT's database not a red, not a green just nothing. I've never seen a legit company NOT be on WOT's database. Two the company came out of nowhere and I also can't find any user reviews on the company or any information about them in some searches I've done. Also the iPhone on such a service? I can't picture Apple agreeing to that. They also refer to insurance as TEP and that's a Sprint only term, resellers do not refer to insurance as Sprint TEP. I also noticed the website does not take prepaid debit cards as well, which is unusual as well as there is not much reason to not take those assuming they have a name and address tied to them such as the Walmart Money card and other services. To me all of this adds up to this being a total scam, a clever one that many may would not notice but I think its a company trying to scam people out of money and information. I'll do some more digging though on this matter.

4. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    What is WOT?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    My first thought is Wide Open Throttle, but I don't think that's the right answer. :)

6. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I'm going to go with Web Of Trust.

7. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yes and its an awesome tool, everybody should have it installed on their web browser! I've found it to be very accurate and its kept me away from quite a few "red" websites.

Safe Browsing Tool | WOT (Web of Trust)

8. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    While WOT has its place & value, I wouldn't look to WOT to be the de facto resource of all businesses. It's focus is a bit different.

As to what & who they are, this will provide more info:
    https://www.fitwireless.net/rawdata.html

Essentially, RawData is using Fit Wireless as their consumer interface. As already mentioned, they want to use this venture as a "control group" for their studies of wireless usage by consumers. Since wireless firms can be very protective of their network data, this company is merely using the phones they provide to track your use of the device. Most likely, they have installed some app that auto-transmits data to them, not unlike Google can track your usage and travels. The difference being that RawData's app cannot be turned off nor can you opt-out.

In short, I agree with the others that have responded to you that this is legit.

9. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Just another note. On Firefox when you now click on the banner ad for the site I now get the following message. This is very suspicous to me!

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect
    securely to Coming Soon, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
    Normally, when you try to connect securely,
    sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
    going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to
    this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is
    trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

Technical Details
    Coming Soon uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed.
    The certificate is only valid for localhost.localdomain
    The certificate expired on 2/2/2010 5:43 PM. The current time is 5/13/2012 8:24 PM.

(Error code: sec_error_expired_issuer_certificate)

I Understand the Risks

If you understand what's going on, you
    can tell Firefox to start trusting this site's identification.
    Even if you trust the site, this error could mean that someone is
    tampering with your connection.
    Don't add an exception unless
    you know there's a good reason why this site doesn't use trusted identification.

10. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    The website's SSL certificate expired. I'd be willing to trust them for a day or two, until they notice.Of course, it being self-signed, not traceable to a Certificate Authority, would be a different problem.

COtech

11. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    Since WA doesn't take personal or payment info, it doesn't have a security certificate. Try going to https://www.wirelessadvisor.com/

I've blocked any ads from FitWireless because the site seems to be down. Server crash maybe?