Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

First time service in Baltimore

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, May 20, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

My business keeps me outside and on the go (riding a horse)! I also occasionally drive from Va. Beach to as far north as NYC. But, most of the time I am in Baltimore City. When I call long distance, it is to 800 numbers. What plan and carrier would be right for me? How do I determine the number of minutes I need? Can I change to more or less minutes? And finally, Is there a phone small enough I can keep it in the back pocket of my jeans while I work? Thanks [​IMG]

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    What plan and carrier would be right for me?
    ATT, Verizon, Cingular

How do I determine the number of minutes I need?
    http://whitehare.topcities.com/RatePlans.htm

Can I change to more or less minutes?
    Yes

And finally, Is there a phone small enough I can keep it in the back pocket of my jeans while I work?
    Yes, but it is not wise to carry your phone in your hip pocket. First, you may damage it. Second, you probably won't hear it. Suggestion: Especially while riding a horse, get yourself a shirt and have a zipper installed on the pocket. If you can deal with it, have the handfree unit attached to the phone and the earplug in your ear. Set answer to "auto-answer" and then when you receive calls you won't need to do anything but talk.

Repost your question in the correct regional forum for feedback from posters "local" to you.

3. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Phones for the back pocket

2 sprint pcs phones come to mind the sanyo 6000 and 6200.

personally any small flip phone will work (better to keep it in shirt pocket

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Casey

Casey New Member

Thanks. I used a friend's Motorola StarTac awhile back and that fit my back pocket perfectly, with no mishaps. These are race horses, so we don't sit down to ride. And we have to wear safety vests with no pockets. I'll check into one of the small phones suggested. And I guess Baltimore is the North East, so I'll check on a plan in that forum. I'm very new to this [​IMG]

5. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    your welcome any more help that we can give let us know

make sure that whatever you get that it is a flip

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Pardon me, but isn't this the North East US forum???
    I would hesitate to put a phone in my back pocket of my jeans as I may sit down on it and that would be the end of it. Especially small phones since they are delicate. Also, as Kevin says, you may not hear it when it rings, but you can always put it in vibration mode and wear it so that you can feel it vibrating.

Virginia Beach is part of the Baltimore/Washington DC maket area for Cingular. You may wanna check them out since they have the best national plan I've seen. Forgive me if I sound like a commercial but you will never pay for roaming or long distance anywhere in the US even in analog areas. Since you are in the Cingular TDMA network, you won't have the partial coverage problem that Cingular GSM subscribers have in other areas of the US because you'll get a phone that works even in analog networks which means you'll never be out of coverage.

In my own experience, Cingular has excellent coverage in Baltimore/DC area.
    Check out this Cingular local coverage map, it will show you the local plan coverage for your area. However, in your case you may wanna get a national plan since the difference in price is small.

Also, they won't mind your changing plans all the time. So they won't charge you for that. About how many minutes you should get, it really depends on the nature of your business. You aways want to try the small plans first since we tend not to use the phone that much at the beginning. You can start with around 300 minutes and change if you need to.

7. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    If you are a 1st time subscriber then start with a larger plan then you think you will need.

Also the sanyo 6000 single band thin phone and 6200 dual band version. are made out of titianium and tested for a day in somebody's back pocket ( a review that I read)

Jack