Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

First Alltel Disappointment

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by budone, Jan 18, 2006.

1. budone

budone Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    After having Alltel for over a year and having great service, (Which the service is still great) I am now upset with how they handle a 2nd NAM on a phone.

I figured they would charge a monthly charge for the 2nd number and I would use my existing plans minutes, but was I ever wrong.

There is no charge for the 2nd number, but I need to have a separate plan for the 2nd number. And I can not do the 'Add a Line' for $9.99 either.

2. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    wow, thats a bit rough, i thought everone did the, 9.99 thing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    You mean you are trying to set a NAM2 in your phone with a seperate phone number?

4. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Alltel does it for seperate phones, but I think budone is trying to use the a seperate line on his same phone. Which people often use when they have the same phone for business and personal use. They can just switch it over to another number right on the phone. I'm surprised that they don't let you just do the 9.99 thing budone. That stinks....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. budone

budone Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    What I wanted to do was add a second number to my phone when I move north in a couple weeks. And the second number would be a business number for my employees and vendors to call.

It doesn't make sense to have me pay for a second plan when all I have to do is add another phone and pay the $9.99/month

6. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Why don't you just add the 2nd line with a new phone for $9.99, keep the 2nd phone as a backup and then program the 2nd line's information as NAM2 into your phone?

Although, Alltel probably won't let you have the same ESN on two MDNs, so that may be why you can't do that... you could still give it a try.

7. budone

budone Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    My plan is to do that now. I even went to the store today to just add a freebie phone to my account for $9.99. However the girl there upset me to the point I left.

She stated only site techs add 2nd NAM's and it occurs at the tower and is very technical.... SAY WHAT?????

Thanks

8. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Most handsets support a 2nd NAM, it has nothing to do with the tower. As long as NAM2 is programmed correctly in the handset itself and the correct ESN is active with the correct MDN in the Alltel billing system, it should work.

9. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    Most of us on the forums know more than the store reps. And I mean any carrier fro Alltel to Vzw. I was in the Sprint store the other day. I talked with the sales guy for about 45 minutes...he has no clue. Some of the things he said were:

1) TMobile is buying Alltel. I said CDMA and GSM are not compatible. He then looked at me blankly.
    2) If you live close to a tower, your reception will be lousy. You have to be 1/2 to 1 mile away.
    3) Sprint does not use PRLS and SIDS.
    4) You can never use a Motorola phone on Verizon & Alltel at the same time.

10. budone

budone Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Believe me, I know most on this board knows more, that is why I came here!!!!

I wrote CS at Alltel yesterday and the response I received was that in fact, they DO add 2nd numbers to phones and I just pay a monthly fee. 4 people, 4 different answers.

I am going to go the, 'add a phone' route.

11. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

"1) TMobile is buying Alltel. I said CDMA and GSM are not compatible. He then looked at me blankly."

The only one of the four things he said that might have a flake of truth. I've heard this one myself. Here's what I think - that T-Mobile may be interested in buying GSM equipment and PCS licenses being leased from them for GSM back. I doubt T-Mobile wants Alltel as a whole, as cool as it'd be.

12. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The licenses are all that matters, really. Other carriers (Cingular/AT&T) have had dual technologies and Sprint/NEXTEL are about to make a CDMA/iDEN phone, or so I have read.

Dispite their different technolgies, an Alltel/T-Mobile merger makes quite a bit of sense, network-wise, but financially I can't see it happeneing now, as much as I want it to.

Alltel has GSM roaming on all of the networks they picked up as part of the WWC merger and they are adding more GSM roaming to the heritage Alltel networks. This means that T-Mobile customers could pretty much starting using Alltel's networks immediatly, which they already do as part of a roaming agreement, anyway. If an Alltel/T-Mobile merger did happen I'm not sure if they would deploy CDMA to the T-Mobile sites or just wait to upgrade the network to UMTS, or whatever 3G/4G technology they decide on.

13. mjb50501

mjb50501 Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    alltel employee
    im an intelligent alltel employee i promise the only problem that may arise is you cant have 2 numbers from 2 markets on the same acct for instance... i live in north ohio i cant have a cleveland number and a florida number on a share plan the billing system does not allow it ... yet this is a problem that they are looking at but no eta on when cross market share lines will be available. hope this helps. keep your eyes peeled new alltel promo coming out before end of month will make you very happy to be with alltel

14. budone

budone Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel

Hey there, I wanted to have two numbers from the same market area, but different area codes. 616 & 231. I gave up that wish long ago.

Thanks

15. mjb50501

mjb50501 Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    alltel employee
    if its the same market you CAN do that the markets are funny in some areas so you would have to go to a local store for more details. for instance i could get a 216 330 440 out of akron-canton -cleveland but could not get a number from youngstown frustrating yes but they are hoping to upgrade systems to allow customers to do this. be patient