Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Finally- A NIMBY/TowerLover Compromise!!

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by MeatChicken, Apr 14, 2005.

1. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Read this recently in the local Paper, & was impressed:

The Town of Paramus, NJ is thinking of enacting a Cell Site regulation ordinance. Before now there were no "set rules" they were handled on a Case-by-case basis.

Before I go into their new proposal, some backround:
    Paramus is a suburban town about 12 miles NW of NYC. There are loads of cell sites already within the borders (Verizon alone has 6 or 7!), with more always seeming to be planned (Sprint, VZW & NEXTEL are planning additionals as we speak),. Land area is 1 of the largest towns in Bergen County NJ, & multiple Major roadways pass thru town, including the Garden State Parkway, & State Routes 4 & 17. There are multiple large Indoor shopping malls in town (Garden State Plaza, Bergen Mall, Paramus Park Mall, Fashon Center), along with numerous strip malls, Big box stores like Home Depot, Ikea & circuit city ect.
    Away from the highways are homes that sell for up to $2.5mil, with the average about 500-700K, County parks, patches of forest, wild deer ect....

Their current town cell sites run the mix from massive metal lattice towers, monopoles, "fake tree", to hidden & exposed rooftop panels.
    These new rules really make sense, IT's About Time, & I hope more towns are sensible enough when considering an ordnace to act this way:
    The proposal says;
    1 - Cell sites can only be erected on Commercial, GVMT or Municipal property or buildings.
    2 - New Large metal "Eiffel Tower" type towers would no longer allowed to be built, only monopoles & rooftop panels.
    3 - A tower must be set back from the property line at a distance at least equal to it's height
    4 - The cell company shall make the site "asthetically pleasing, poles must be made to look like a flgpole, monument, tree or art; Rofftop panels should be painted to match building, and/or disguised behind false fascades or located in the center of the roof out of sight from ground level.
    While not perfect, this is the best cell tower ordinance I have ever heard of.
    #1 above - Not a concern at all for the cell companies here, but wording that pleases the NIMBYs.
    There aren't any current or planned cell sites on private non commercial property, the cell companies aren't about to negotiate with your neighbor in this area for his suburban front lawn.
    #2 above - Large "Eiffel Towers", according to my contact at VZW, are way more expensive to build than monopoles & rootop sites, & are rarely used in these areas anymore anyway, & this isn't a concern, but again the wording pleases NIMBYS.
    #3 above - a fair rule. Could be a possible cell company concern in a "particular" circumstance, but overall a fair rule that can be lived with.
    #4 above - Again, I believe a fair comprmise. Putting the panels close against the monopole, covering them with a thin housing & adding 2 eylets & a flag realkly doesn't cost much of anything, & is worth making people happy.
    Likewise, the lightweight plastic or foam "false fascades" that mimic/extend the brick or roofcap of a building are low cost, maintence free & add perhaps 15-30 min of 1 time labor fee to install.
    If a company complies with the terms of the ordinance, they can't be denied their permit.
    This law may have already been passed, I'm not sure.
    I believe more towns should look closely at Paramus, NJ's proposal ... What do you think??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's great! I wish Maywood would see it that way.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Quite interesting. I wonder what the NIMBY's response to this is.

4. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    From what I read, The NIMBYs actually like & want this. They simply needed the reassurance that there wouldn't be Eiffel type towers erected next-door, & that future sites would look OK (Monument/Flag Pole ect).
    I believe that many so-called "NIMBYs" actually fall into this "rational" category of people, but have concerns, partially due to Scare Photo-shop altered pictures of kids playing under massive 400ft "Transmission" looking cell towers erected in residential areas, & partially due to (let's face it), cheapskates at the Cell companies that pissed-off residents of many areas by not even making a $7.27 cent attempt at making their sites "asthetically pleasing". I remember reading a few years ago about ticked off residents/town somewhere that were promised a nice camoflage "Tree" by the cell company, & the cell company ended up giving them a rusty pole with 1 single sick looking branch array at the top that did little, & then actually sent lawyers to resist having to "fix" the problem. That behavior Sucks. I have to admit if I owned that cell company, I would have Fired the site manager, apologized to the residents & got some bark & branches out there, & probably for less than the cost of the lawyers.

5. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

This is too Late,
    Cell Carriers has great
    Coverage in Paramus.
    I'd say Paramus is good to
    Cell Carriers.
    Why NOT?
    VZW has 1 Corporate Store,
    Cingular Blue has 1,
    T-Mobile has 1.
    And this is NOT
    Counting their Stores
    inside 2 Huge Malls
    in Paramus.
    The town to the East of it
    Oradell is where coverage
    is not so good, especially
    the border between them.
    Oradell get its coverage
    from the Towns sorrounding it.
    From the north, east
    and west.

#5 jones, Apr 14, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  6. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    They may have good coverage, I can't say since i haven't been up there in a while. But this could be like a good ordinance to see the reactions for other towns to use in the future. I know we don't seem to have a problem here in Union with these people, but there are alot of towns that people do have a problem & having an ordinance that works for 1 town can be adopted by another very easily

7. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I understand seeing a large "Eiffel Tower" in a persons mind might be different than a small monopole, but in radation I am sure they are about the same.

8. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think this is pretty cool. A basic set of rules that most, if not all, carriers can comply with. I'm sure we'll see this sort of ordinance adopted in more communities as time goes on... at least I hope so.

9. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah-radiation would be about the same. I always thought NIMBYs were always fighting against cell site's health issues, and, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think that a camoflaged site emits less radiation.

10. agentHibby

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Sometimes it’s public perception. The people see allot of towers and thinks they are getting tons of radiation, then the public freaks out! Only seeing 1 or no towers they don't. Makes no sense to me, but if you have tons on NIMBY's in the community it works.

11. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You know, I'd rather see the tower and know that I'm getting 'fried' instead of them being hidden and me not knowing what's around my house/work.

12. agentHibby

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I think the point is the dumb NIMBY's won't even know if there is towers in the area, so they think they are ok becuase they don't know they do exist. These kinds of people usally won't do research to find out there are some in the area also. :rolleyes:

13. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah-I agree ;)

14. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    Looks like a decent ordinance, to help deal with the people who do not like the "Eiffel Tower", , I don't care as long as the coverage is there. I do not like the Ham Radio guys, with the Telescoping towers on their house though, especially if I had one as a neighbor, luckily my homeowner's association will not allow it.