Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

FCC Approves 3G Nokias, Cingular Does Not

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by viewfly, Feb 7, 2006.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I guess you all saw this on phonescoop.com.

I'm in Japan this week ,and my rental GSM/3G phone is working fine. It is only one data point, but the battery seems to drain fast on the Moto A835. Otherwise, I just popped in my Cingular SIM, and 3G is working and the coverage good.

FCC Approves 3G Nokias, Cingular Does Not

Yesterday, 6:21 PM source: FCC

The FCC today approved the Nokia 6282 and Nokia N80, as originally spec'd by Nokia. When they were announced, both of the handsets included GSM 850/1900 and WCDMA 1900, but not WCDMA 850. Despite Cingular branding clearly visible on these models, the carrier will not sell these exact models. Phone Scoop has been told after they were announced, Cingular sent the phones back to Nokia asking for revised versions that support GSM and WCDMA 850/1900. These new versions are still under development and have not been announced nor approved by the FCC.

2. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: Nokia6682/2.0 (3.01.1) SymbianOS/8.0 Series60/2.6 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Sounds bout right. Cingular just loves to cripple the phones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    How do you come to that conclusion? They're insisting that the phone also includes 850. Verizon is the one who loves crippling phones.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    well, this is just my opinion, but there have been several phones that worked great unbranded, but had problums with cingular branding. the 6230, and 6682 come to mind.:confused:

5. adgsteve

adgsteve Tower Hunting Addict

My Phone:
    Nokia 6350
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT
    You forgot the SE z520A also. But those were more just poorly developed Firmware, not any effort to cripple the phones. ;)

6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks viewfly, I have had a few people PM me with this info most of them saying "you are not going to be happy". I guess the N80 is not going to get here soon inspite of my having it as my avatar.

Cingular is doing the right thing by asking for 850 WCDMA, but why isn't it there in the first place is what I don't understand. If the waiting is too long I might just get the N80 with 1900 WCDMA in the interim. It's a mute point for our local area right now anyway.

7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yea, I agree it is nice that they want to add 850 3G to this phone...but they didn't say anything until now to Nokia?

Also, would it make more sense to maybe have only 1900 3G (with the quad gsm bands) and a 2100Mhz band for 3G roaming elsewhere in the world? I'm thinking of Japan, where I am now. They have 3G here at 2100, but it would be better if I had my own phone.

Unfortunately, to have a real 'world phone' is now meaning a 5 bander!

8. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I think it's fairly safe to say, with the exception of some carriers' and their high-end devices, that all companies are interested in crippling their phones in one sense or another.

9. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    That is kind of hard to believe isn't it, specially when the first FCC approval photos came out some of them clearly showed the Cingular logo on it.

Given the track record of the effect of Cingular's softaware on Nokia phones in the last 8 months, 6230, 6682, and some rumblings about the 6102, there is more to this story than we will priobably ever know.

I agree that having a quad band with 1900 3G and 2100 for world roaming would give more flexibility. I would hope that a true world phone is in the near future.

Sounds like you are having a good trip it is fun to see you post from Japan.

10. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    The N80 is listed on Mobilebee as coming in 25 days and at $799.00????Somebody please tell me that they are out of their mind.

11. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Come on Charlyee, the V3 was over $600 when first released and people still bought them.

-Jay

12. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Jay this is $800+shipping not $600. Besides who said anything about not buying it......... :D

13. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I just thought it was highly overpriced, but that's what happens when you buy bleeding edge technology. Cingular does need to start getting some 3G handsets out there on the street. Its a shame they aren't adopting the V3x. I could really go for one of those if Motorola made a US version.

14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I don't know if anybody else on this board wants the N80 as bad as I do, but here are a couple more pieces of information:

1. From CES 2006 . According to this site Nokia claims that the deal with Cingular did not go through but it will be available in the US by mid year and will retail around $600.

2. A poster on HoFo, who posted some great pictures from the CES 2006 said: "While it won't be carried by any U.S. carrier, according to the Nokia reps it will be for sale directly from their Nokia USA website like they initially did with the 6682."

15. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    I'm also interested, for the five band features, etc. But the price is higher than I'd like. If I roamed into one of Cingular's UMTS cities regularly, well, fine, I'd seriously consider it. Memphis isn't on the list of UMTS cities yet, nor does it have a date for it.

COtech

16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I must say that price is too high for me. Esp. when we know it will drop pretty far down in a fairly short time.

I can wait.

17. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I see that the N80 made to Nokia's coming soon page, this morning. Although when I try to enter the information for E-Mail notification, I get an error message. So hopefully it is getting here slowly but surely...:D

18. Steven2420

Steven2420 World Champions Baby!!!!!

Charlyee, I just requested e-mail notification for the N80 and it worked so try it again today. The phone is gorgeous, good luck young lady. I know how long you have waited for this phone!