Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

FCC approval for purchase of SunCom!!!!

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by maa1775, Feb 11, 2008.

1. maa1775

maa1775 New Member

My Phone:
    TM 506
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T Mobile
    The Federal Communications Commission has approved the purchase of SunCom Wireless by T-Mobile USA, the companies said Monday.

FCC approval was the last regulatory hurdle for the deal, which is expected to close by the end of this month, the companies said.

"Combining the strength of T-Mobile's national network, top-ranked customer service and rich personal communications products and services is an added benefit to the more than one million customers served by SunCom," Robert Dotson, president and CEO of T-Mobile USA, said in a written statement. "We very much appreciate the FCC's speedy approval of this transaction."

T-Mobile, a subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom (NYSE: DT) of Germany, is paying $2.4 billion to buy SunCom's shares and outstanding debt. Its purchase allows the company to move into North Carolina, an area where it currently doesn't have a network.

2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Great for TMobile... I wonder how long will integration take?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. maa1775

maa1775 New Member

My Phone:
    TM 506
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T Mobile
    I don't know. I wonder that myself. What I do know is the easy part is over. T-Mobile has A LOT of work to do. The SunCom network is crappy and it's going to take a lot of time and money to get it up to standards. Then to expand it, it's going to take even more. I hope T-Mobile took all that into consideration if they want to try to compete with the other service providers in this area. Their profits will take a big hit for awhile.

4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    LOL I suppose that TMobile is the better of the two wherever they overlap (like Athens, Augusta, or Savannah)? Perhaps integration will be smoother in these areas vs North/South Carolina?

Hopefully, it wont be too long before TMobile becomes viable in the Suncom territory.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's

if they overlap in an area they will probably shut some of the stuff down id guess.

TMOB's biggest fall behinds lie in the carolinas/tenn/kent/va/etc SE areas so maybe this will help them some. most of the time they are ATT roaming. i always find it funny that it says ATT on TMOB phones, they dont block the roaming name out i guess.

6. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No, TMobile doesn't always block out the carrier's name when roaming; if a name isnt available, then the 310-xxx is shown... I think AT&T always displays AT&T all the time... the only exception is when they peg you as an excessive roamer or if the user plays with their phone settings.

The only time the true 'name' is not shown on TMo is then they see/roam on an Alltel GSM site... 'ROAMING' is displayed.

7. AndThenScottSays...

AndThenScottSays... Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile (prepaid)
    What generates the alpha tags on GSM phones? I have a T-Mobile phone that still roams on "Cingular". I know the network has been changed because all the AT&T customers around here have the correct tag on their phone, but not my T-Mobile phone. Does the phone just have an internal database that never gets updated post-manufacturing?

8. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I have a prepaid TMobile phone and it says Cingular when roaming. When I put an AT&T sim in the V195, the display says AT&T. This has me thinking it is the sim. But when I had my Nokia 6010 with my TMO sim in it, the phone would see/display AT&T for the tag. :confused:

9. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    im not sure why that is...Some phones still say cingular, others say ATT, it is definetly some tech thing, but 95% of phones ive seen over the past 6 months have made the switch