Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

FCC admits 700 Mhz D-Block unlikely to sell

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by Fire14, Feb 14, 2008.

  1. Fire14

    Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2002
    Messages:
    8,446
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    293
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Union County NJ
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    FCC's Martin Admits Unlikely to See D-Block Spectrum Bidder

    Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin publicly admitted Wednesday for the first time that it looks unlikely that a bidder will come forward for the largest piece of communications airwaves the agency is auctioning off.

    Testifying before a House Telecommunications Subcommittee hearing, Martin admitted under questioning that it now seems doubtful that a bidder will come forward and bid the minimum $1.3 billion required by FCC rules for the swath of spectrum.

    "I do recognize that the concerns that public safety raised seem like they are too great at this point for anyone to be willing to put in a bid and work with public safety," said Martin.

    If there was a company willing to pay at least $1.3 billion for the radio spectrum, it would be obliged to work with public safety to build a national wireless network for use by first responders. Any spare capacity on that wireless network could be leased to the commercial cellular industry.

    Previously, whenever he has been asked about the spectrum, known as the D-block, Martin has expressed confidence that a bidder will come forward.

    After 67 rounds of the auction over 15 days, there has been only one anonymous bid for the 10-megahertz section of spectrum. That bid was made in the first round of the proceedings on Jan. 24 for the minimum amount allowed of $472 million. Due to FCC rules, all bidders must remain anonymous until the auction is complete.

    Martin was being questioned by Rep. Joe Barton, R-Tex., the ranking minority member on the House Commerce Committee.

    House Republicans have objected to the conditions placed on certain sections of the spectrum being sold.

    "There are many people, and I'm one of them, that thinks the commission has put so many encumbrances on [the D-block] that the private sector is not really comfortable proposing a bid," said Barton.

    He urged Rep. Edward Markey, D-Mass., the chairman of the House Telecommunications Subcommittee, to hold a public hearing to evaluate what the options are for the sale of the spectrum. Markey agreed, saying he intended to hold such a hearing.

    A total of $19.4 billion has been bid by companies throughout the auction, well more than the official government estimate for how much would be raised of $10 billion. Due to this fact, it is likely that there will be significantly less pressure on Martin to simply sell the spectrum without any conditions attached in a bid to raise more money.

    Martin said that the commission "would go back to the drawing board" to decide what to do if no bidder came forward in the remaining rounds of the auction. He said that he hoped a solution could be reached that would still involve a public-private partnership.

    The D-block was to be pieced together with a further 10 megahertz already allocated to public safety to build a wireless broadband network using 20 megahertz of spectrum.

    The FCC is selling 62 megahertz of spectrum in the auction. It is widely seen as being the most valuable to ever come available to the commercial wireless industry due to the fact it can transmit over vast geographic distances and through thick buildings.

    It is being sold to the private sector due to a switch by television broadcasters to a digital signal from an analog one, which requires substantially less spectrum.

    FCC's Martin Admits Unlikely to See D-Block Spectrum Bidder
     
  2. M in LA

    M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2004
    Messages:
    8,053
    Likes Received:
    347
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Could the FCC make things any more complicated? :rolleyes:

    That's bureaucracy for you...
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. walkguru

    walkguru Wireless Guru
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2005
    Messages:
    6,084
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    28
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: LG-CU515/V1.0c Obigo/Q05A Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

    no kidding.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. RJB

    RJB Gold Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2004
    Messages:
    7,069
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    99
    Likes Received:
    36
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Wirelessly posted (PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

    well if they don't think it will sell then drop the price down so it can sell
     
  5. Fire14

    Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2002
    Messages:
    8,446
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    293
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Union County NJ
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't think it has anything to do with the price, but that it has to be given priorty or full access to Public Safety over commercial usage, so what carrier wants to build it out and not be able to make money using it?
    If the consortment that was going to bid on it for the intended reason, then it would have worked because they were going to lease the airwaves to the carriers to use unless an emergency came up but they couldn't raise the money needed & folded.
     
  6. M in LA

    M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2004
    Messages:
    8,053
    Likes Received:
    347
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Maybe all of us on here can chip in a buck or two and purchase this thing...:D
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. RJB

    RJB Gold Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2004
    Messages:
    7,069
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    99
    Likes Received:
    36
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    LOL then we better be getting HOFO involved as well lol.
     

Share This Page

Copyright 1997-2023 Wireless Advisor™, LLC. All rights reserved. All registered and unregistered trademarks are the property of their respective holders.
WirelessAdvisor.com is not associated by ownership or membership with any cellular, PCS or wireless service provider companies and is not meant to be an endorsement of any company or service. Some links on these pages may be paid advertising or paid affiliate programs.

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice