Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Family Time Plans Worth it? T-Mobile Family Talk Rate Increase

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by ryanjudy, Mar 23, 2003.

1. ryanjudy

ryanjudy Junior Member

I just noticed that T-Mobile raised the additional line price to $20 a month from $10. It seems that at $20 family plans arent worth it, you can get more minutew with 2 seperate phones... T-Mobile WAS the only one with a decent Family Talk plan, but now that they have raised the prices by $10 per line, its not worth it.

Anyone want to argue how family time plans could be worth it?

Or if you know the reasoning behind the T-Mobile rate increase?

2. stoutman

stoutman New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT&Verizon
    With no nights as an add on, T-Mobile is not very competitive for Family Plans!

3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

ryanjudy, did you see my reply to your original post
    here?

stoutman - I have no needs for an unlimited nights add-on. I want to live my life as I see fit, not being constrained by having to wait until 9pm to place a call b/c I don't have enough anytime minutes. Besides, I'd like some time for me and myself in the later evening. I've worked hard all day and want to relax! [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    the reasoning behind the T-Mobile rate increase?

Very simple, sometimes carrier have to weight between competitiveness and profitability and figure out what's more important at the moment. Especially in these tough times for the wireless industry, they have to pay special attention to their profits....or else there will be no more T_mobile. Let's be more reasonable.

However, like I said in my other response (click here), I am still wondering what's the point of going with a family plan with any carrier.

I can see that they may be worth it to those whose calling scope is very narrow (they speak a lot with a very limited number of people). However, to those of us who use our phones to more than just call mom, family plans are inconvenient.

I make and receive calls from a wide group of people, many of them using landlines and many friends, co-workers, associates, companies, etc. who use other carriers. Even though most of the people I know are with Sprint, the times I'd be using m2m (or as they call it PCS to PCS) are very small no matter what carrier I choose.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. northform

northform Bronze Senior Member

You do get two free lines included in the price of the family plans (from their website "Note: FamilyTime plans include two lines of service. Up to three additional lines can be added to the FamilyTime plans for $20 per line.").

There is a reason that they increased the price: everyone else charges $20 (Sprint, Verizon, Cingular. . .).

Family plans are almost never worth it. Regardless of the rate hike, it was $35/mo for 400 min per phone. Why go with that when, for an extra $5, you can get 600 min?

6. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    bobolito and northform, you both can't take advantage of the main family plan perk - the unlimited m2m. That's fine. I can, and for me, that gives me even more mileage out of my anytime minutes since I really can call whoever I want whenever I want since I know that a significant percantage of my calls are unlimted m2m, I can take calls from Sprint, Cingular, landline, whoever, since I know I most likely will never go over. It's all YMMV. Doesn't work for you, works great for me.

I get, on average (since it's shared), $35 for 400 anytime minutes plus free m2m, which to me is worth another 400 or so per month. So my "value" over a standard plan is that I pay $35 for 800 minutes, instead of $40 for 600, which isn't enough for me anyway......

7. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    YMMV. The whole point of my T-Mo phone (on the family plan) is to be able to talk to my wife and coworkers, all of whom are on T-Mo. I use well over 2,000 M2M minutes per month (and if you count my wife, we use 3,000) and the two of us use about 500 anytime minutes - and about 60 weekend minutes - per month. Hence, the family plan is fine for us.

8. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Go with other carriers that has Night Minutes.

9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I see what your saying and its good that it works for you. But all that you're saying is that the only reason to get on a family plan is because of the m2m minutes? You can still get m2m minutes without being on a family plan. Sprint is giving unlimited PCS to PCS for $45 which give you 500 anytime minutes and unlimited n&w. If me and my wife get this, it is like 1000 minutes for $90 plus unlimited n&w. If I were to get their $80 plan for 1000 minutes I have to pay an extra $20 to get a second line to share those minutes bringing the total to $100 which is $10 more than if I got it separately and get the same exact benefits. The only way I see a family plan as an advantage is if the use of one phone is very unbalanced so most of the minutes are used by only one of the members and still you're not getting a whole lot more.

Your plan is $70 for 800 mins. I see the difference, but again, it is still about the same price range for about the same amount of minutes so I still don't see the great benefits. If your plan had, say, 1200 minutes to share for the same $70 (instead of just 800 mins.), then that would be a real advantage because to get 1200 minutes separately, you would need to get two separate $40 plans which is $80 plus $10 to add the unlimited m2m which would be $90 instead of $70. All I am saying is that I thought family plans had more attractive incentives, because when you do the math, you see you're getting about the same or less than getting separate plans. My family would be on a family plan if it was all that great.

10. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    now that m2m is an option on TM for single line plans, the advantages of the family plan are reduced when compared with single line plans. Until March 3, TM didn't have the m2m option (Buddy Time) for single line plans, so the difference was obvious. It just depends on how many anytime minutes you want to pay for. The $40/600 with m2m option (total cost $50) is certainly attractive. For me, there's no need to spend and extra $10 per month on anytime minutes I don't need.

11. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Until recently I could not get M2M minutes from T-Mo without being on a family plan... and when my firm went through The Switch, Sprint were not offering PCS2PCS minutes on ANY plan save the pooled-use business plans, which wouldn't have worked for us.

We don't need even 800 anytime minutes - 500 would do us fine, but the minimum is 800.

Also, your math is a bit off. You'd have to get two separate $40 plans ($80) plus 2x$10 (two lines, two M2M plans) = $100.

As we keep saying... your mileage may vary. It works great for us, since we use a bucketload of M2M minutes. Sprint are the only folks who are offering unlimited M2M... at least at the $10-and-under price point. Cingular offer it but it's $20 or $25 per line here, and 1000 M2M minutes isn't enough for either of us. Verizon and AT&T sell ONLY 1000M2M packages.

Also, I don't care about N/W minutes. I make very, very, very few night/weekend calls that are not also M2M... maybe 60 minutes a month at the outside. Nights all start at 2100 hours here, and by that time I'm doing what I'm going to be doing for the evening... and I can't call relatives at 2100 Pacific Time because it's midnight, 1:00am, or 1:30am where they are.

People who have different requirements will, of course, differ - but it works just fine for me, and is $17 cheaper a month than my old Cingular family plan with 500 minutes, unlimited M2M, no N/W, and one extra line for $16.99.

12. ryanjudy

ryanjudy Junior Member

Hello,

Thanks for all of your responses, sorry I posted this twice, I couldnt find the origional post!

Anyway, too bad for the Tmo increase, I was planning on getting 2 plans with 5 lines each and using the hell out of the m2m minutes during summer. And hoping to get some good prices on amazon rebates or something like that to get a bunch of new phones.

I guess really the only way a family share plan is good is for m2m, at least for me. I dont see why the carriers dont make family talk or multiple line plans more attractive to lure customers to add more lines.

Im a current customer of Verizon and T-Mobile , and I would consider adding a couple more lines if I got a discount , but It just doesnt seem to make sense to pay the $20 line fees everyone is charging!.

I might consider still trying to get the $10 price. Think If I sign up a new plan with just two lines and then threat to cancell if they dont give me the $ 10 price? Haha. well anyway.

THANKS!