Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Family plan & VT, MA, PA coverage

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by matissa, Feb 7, 2005.

1. matissa

matissa New Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera 2325
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The rest of my family is considering joining the mobile phone age. Two major questions:

1) Is it worth considering a family plan if we're all grown up and scattered across the Northeast? The family consists of:

- Me. Currently a Verizon customer, joined last year when I was in Boston. I'm in our family vacation house in Greensboro, VT (edge of the NE Kingdom near Hardwick) for the year. I don't really get service here at the house so I only use the phone when on the road and use very few minutes these days. Next year I'll be somewhere else not yet determined.

- My parents. Live south of Philadelphia. I actually don't get the best reception in their house but it's decent. They are mainly looking for a phone for emergencies and for when my father travels (eventually they may get more hooked).

- My sister and her husband. Live in Boston. They would each want a phone.

It seems like the advantage of the family share plan would be that it could be significantly cheaper, especially since at least initially I don't think any of us would be using our phones much at all (especially once you exclude IN calling and nights/weekends). The disadvantage is obviously that only one person would get the bill so we'd have to work out paying for it. But we're a pretty close family. My sister and her husband, though, may decide they want the independence. Are there significant costs or problems with breaking up a family share plan into individual plans if it doesn't work out? Are there cheaper plans than Verizon if my sister and husband want to go on their own?

1) Coverage and choosing a provider.
    I'm assuming that most providers would be decent in Boston and Philadelphia. Everyone spends significant time in our house in Vermont. I don't think any company provides great reception in Greensboro, but reception in the surrounding areas would be nice, as well as any info on future coverage of Greensboro. Also, good coverage along the highways used to get here would be nice (I-93 through NH and I-91). I originally chose Verizon because I was told they had the best coverage for VT/NH, is that still the case? If my sister and husband go off on their own are there other companies they should consider? My sister as an interest in Working Assets, which contracts with Sprint, but I get the impression that Sprint coverage in VT is not good.

Another considerations for coverage would be the places where my father travels for business. Most often Princeton, New York, Washington, and Mississippi. In addition to info on these locations, are there other places in the US we should be aware of where Verizon coverage really falls short?

Thanks for any help,

MNH

2. Cingular GSM User

I would say a Cingular GSM plan would be a good choice for you all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dallison

dallison Senior Member

you would need to have the #'s all in one area code for the cing. ft plan to work.

you couldnt have a philly#, boston # and a VT # all on one plan. so you would need to choose one market and get #'s in that market

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Keep Verizon and get a Cingular line to compare coverage. If it's better change over to cingular, if not cancel within your trial period.

5. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Also, I'm not sure if your phone is all that great, RF wise; choosing another phone might make a huge difference if you're having problems.

6. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I disagree. Though RCC Unicel is working on their GSM coverage, it's still far from sufficient in New England. I would recommend going with a tri-mode CDMA phone from Verizon, as you will be able to roam on RCC Unicel's AMPS (analog) network which has better coverage in some areas.

Cingular also has zero native coverage in VT. (I think they have spectrum through ATTWS that RCC Unicel is using for a GSM1900 overlay that according to reports is only live in a few areas like Burlington.) If I'm not mistaken, Cingular's 50%/3 months rule is still in effect - if more than 50% of your usage over a period of 3 months is off the Cingular network, Cingular can cancel your plan with ETF. (I've never heard of it happening, but it's a risk. My cousing had a Cingular phone in Colorado with a NorVA number for a year and the plan didn't get terminated. The other two lines on the plan were in Cingular native, though; Philly suburbs and NorVA.)

VT and MA numbers will probably be able to be on a Family SharePlan with VZW, but I don't think the PA number will.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dallison

dallison Senior Member

damn I didn't know that they would get charged the etf for having your contract cancelled. i'll have to check tomorrow