Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Family Plan to Individual Lines?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by dprior, Aug 25, 2008.

1. dprior

dprior New Member

My wife and I are on a family plan, with my number as the primary. We have been under contrct for about 15 months now so another 9 to go. But work wants me to have either a blackberry or iPhone and I would much prefer the iPhone. Because of the work subsidies, I'm okay with paying the $200 ETF for my line. I could have tried to get out using the recent text message increase, but I wasn't really effected and I didn't want to lie about it.

Is it possible to split the two lines I currently have into two separate individual plans? Then when I port my number out my wife's account would not be effected. I'm sure this IS possible, but the real question is - will it extend either contract? That would be a deal breaker as my wife will want out when her contract expires.

If splitting the lines won't work then I might just leave my line active on the family plan but just not use it. If I did this, would it be possible to port my number to AT&T, but still keep the account open and have T-Mob generate me a new phone number for that line?

I called T-Mob tonight with the first question and was told that BOTH my contract and my wifes would be extended, though this is contrary to the experience of a friend who just did this very thing. I guess my contract being extended is no big deal since I'm willing to pay ETF anyway. But the wife's contract being extended is a deal breaker.

Thanks,
    Derek

2. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    There are lots of plan that don't extend your contract, you probably got a rep that just didn't know anybetter. You can port the number anytime and yes tmobile can reactivate the line with a new phone number until the end of your contract. So the answers to all of your questions is yes tmobile can work with you and sorry to hear that your wife wants out at the end of her contract too, but yes you can make a lot of changes with or without extending your contract, with the contract there are definately better options that cost less but if you're not going to do the contract then you will pay more for same plans with contract as long as you're ok with that then :cheers:

3. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    call T-Mobile to separate the lines.....they should do it and most of the carriers have recently implemented a policy that allows you to change your plans without extending your contract....whenver you want....

once you separate them......port them out.......but it wouldnt hurt to go to a store and do it with a person because it would definitely be easier than doing it over the phone

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You have to be extremely careful with that. Separating the lines means choosing new individual lines, and as tmobileman stated, you have to specifically ask the rep for a new individual plan that WON'T extend your contract. They are available, but you must ask.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    which is why i definitely would recommend going to the store because then you can be all Italian and use hand motions.......better communication

6. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile

And just to specify tmobile has ALWAYS had plans that don't require a new contract but like Matt said you must ask for these plans and sometimes the stores aren't the best place for this we have not changed any policy and as far as I know don't have any plans on changing a policy that says you can change to any plan any time without extending your contract. But like I said as far as I know and things are always changing

7. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yes but its changing your plan while you're in a contract without extending it.....thats what they need to do.....