Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Family plan inquiry-Brooklyn NY

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by misterb, Apr 14, 2002.

1. misterb

misterb New Member

We would like to share an account: husband, wife, and our college-age son living at home. My wife and I would be making most of our calls between us; in addition we'd be making several calls -short ones-to my mother who also lives In Brooklyn. I'm sure my son would be using the majority of the minutes allowed. We vacation 3-4 times per year in the USA and would like the ability to keep in touch with my son and mom while we're away. The local papers are FLOODED with ads that are obviously too good to be true. Is there an activation fee for each phone? Is it possible to get free phones? If so, are they of decent quality? Is it better to buy directly from a provider or is it equally ok to buy from an "authorized" dealer? Many questions!! Your help to these cell-phone novices would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Free phones are usually crap. Go ahead and look into the Handset cat. on Wireless Advisor to find info on the different Headsets. As far as MTM minuts are concerned.............Verizon has them for cheap. Some people do unlimited though..........Like ATT/Suncom. But beware of covererage issues.........

Larry, TDan, Keven, and others will be better able to help you out with current rates and info on that area.

Go to www.verizonwireless.com to find out the rates in your area.

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    hi MisterB and welcome to Wireless Advisor.

The "regulars" here are from all over the USA. I am in Northern Calif. and using ATT Wireless. You can read articles I have written specifically focused for the wireless newcomers at: Wireless Service

Additionally, look at my links page to learn everything you've never wanted to know about wireless and didn't care to ask:

Wireless Links

The ads you are reading are truthful (they have to be). The problem is that not all of them tell the whole story and tend to confuse newcomes with "branded" services such as mLife (ATT), America's Choice (Verizon) and others. Hopefully the above first link will help you make some sense of what to look for.

I would also strongly suggest that you read the commentaries I have written (links available from my Wireless Links page). Though you are in NY, the essence of what I write is worth your consideration.

Wayne (above) works for Verizon and has always presented factual and helpful info about his company.

Larry, a subscriber with Sprint is nearly reaching "spokesman" status for his carrier. (All they need to do is fire the smerky-faced dude doing the ads and have him do it.)

All of us pretty much agree to stay away from WorldComm.

4. misterb

misterb New Member

Thanks VERY much for your help.

5. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I would have to say try Voicestream. I too am pretty far away from your area; I'm in Nortwest Ohio. However, I checked the Voicestream website, and they have Brooklyn, New York under the area code 718 covered. Voicestream is pretty upfront about their coverage, as many other people will agree; If they don't have coverage their, than you will know. I have Voicestream and I am very happy with them.

As for the minutes that you want to use to call each other, those are unlimited with Voicestream, aswell as weekends. However, they do not offer night minutes, but give you more anytime (weekday) minutes than any other provider.

As for your traveling needs, Voicestream has a pretty big coverage area, but before you leave, just check the Voicestream website to see if they cover the area to which you are traveling. They are a fast growing company. They are the fastest growing wireless provider ever.

I have provided you a link straight to the Voicestream Family Plan site for your area:
    Voicestream Wireless (Family Time Plan - Brooklyn, NY)