Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Family Plan and Coverage Questions

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by yakrider, Jun 30, 2007.

1. yakrider

yakrider New Member

Hi,

I have been using alltel for the past four years in NC, and have had a pretty good experience. I just relocated and need to find out how the service holds up. I also have to add three lines in a family plan and since they are college kids, they will be spending a lot of their times where their colleges will be. I need to make sure that I wont be ringing up roaming charges or losing unlimited n&w minutes and so on.

here are the locations where they will be used, in order of coverage importance to me.

Bethlehem, PA 18018
    Caldwell, NJ 07006
    Berea, KY 40404
    Columbia, MO 65216
    Forest Hills NY 11375
    Kirksville, MO 63501.

Thanks a lot, this would really help me make an informed decision. Also if there are better ways or deals to get three to four lines in a family plan, do let me know.

2. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Should be fine in all those places. In Berea, KY it will free roam on sprint. Sprint's coverage is not the best there though. There is a verizon signal that you can free roam on there, but the phone will prefer the sprint signal over the verizon signal. You could change the phone so it works better and stays on the verizon network. But I wouldn't cross that bridge unless coverage is a problem. Just be careful off the main roads. Because there are paid roaming charges on Appalachian wireless, but sprint, verizon, and bluegrass will be free roam.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.8462/20; U; en))

If U Want Get Sprint Tgerf U Can Force Roam. And Sprint Prefers Verizon And Alltel. And Therd Isnt Any Paid Roam. 4ts All Free.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    Sprint has a 50% roaming rule that they do enforce. So if more than 50% of the minutes are used off the Sprint network over a two or three month period, you probably will get cancelled. Alltel very rarely enforces their 50% rule.

5. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    As Strunke mentioned, you'll be fine in any of those places. I was in Berea not too long ago, and Congrats since you have a kid in college there. It's really a great place and a phenomenal college that's consistently ranked among the best. But the phone calls will be fine there around campus. I free-roamed on Sprint last time I was there. Just make sure your phone has the blinking triangle (or R), and all of your calls will be free on the National Freedom plans. A blinking triangle just means you're outside of your home area (in NC), and you could be on Alltel, Sprint or Verizon. But since they're all shown by the blinking triangle, even on Alltel, you should not receive any roaming charges. There are some roaming places, shown on the phone by the solid triangle (or R), but you shouldn't have to worry about anything like that in the places you mentioned.

Also, about getting the best deals on 3-4 lines, it really depends on how many minutes you need. You'll get free mobile-to-mobile and nights & weekends. You'll also get My Circle on the account. You may be able to get by with the National Freedom 900 which is $59 + $9.99 for each added line. So 4 lines would be around $89.
    There's also the family choice plan. It's $79 for the first 2 lines, and $15 to add-a-line. So 4 lines would be around $109. The advantage is that every line gets either 1000 texts or nights at 7. A lot of this may depend on if you have any kids that text, and how much. If each sends 5,000 a month, the family choice plan may not do them much good, so they would be better off not going with the family choice plan. Just some things to consider depending on your situation.

6. bdiddle21

bdiddle21 New Member

You can also add 100 free to roam minutes for $10.00 a month, wouldn't be a bad idea for Kentucky. But you should be fine, like he said if the triangle or R is blinking or missing from the top of the phone display you're not roaming, even though the phone may say you are when you try to make a call, and if it is a SOLID, then you are roaming and should use it sparingly unless you add the roaming minutes, or go to a total freedom plan with no roaming, but it is much more expensive.

The family choice plan with texting is wonderful if they text moderately. With a good choice of the 10 mycircle numbers you probably wouldn't use more than 1000 minutes a month anytime, but all depends on the situation, and they are in college so you never know.