Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Fakes. Careful about cheap phones

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Jul 30, 2015.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I recently cautioned a new member here about buying their phone off ebay due to the number of fakes that are out there. Its been a while since I've seen that subject discussed, so I am starting a new thread so that newcomers will know.

iPhone fakes

Samsung fakes

There is a very old saying: If it is too good to be true, that is because it IS too good to be true. Also, "A sucker is born every minute."

As tempting as it is to buy inexpensive phones on ebay or other places, chances are you ARE being ripped off. Do not give any more information about yourself to an online seller than is necessary. Even idle chit chat about your personal life can be dangerous. Do your homework -- check the reviews and ratings of sellers. Do an internet search of their username.

2. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    Kind of reminds me of an ebay listing I saw a while ago, that I am surprised ebay allowed. It said something like Imitation Sandisk memory cards. The guy said he bought 50 of them at a great price, but discovered they weren't real sandisk memory cards. He went on to say, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, and if the one he sells you doesn't work, just email him and he would send you another one.

KevinJames likes this.
  3. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @palandri: Yes, I've heard about those cards. What happened is that the card was hacked to read higher memory than really capable of. For example, a 16GB card that was hacked (and label changed) to read 64GB. As long as the user doesn't load anything more than 16GB, they may be okay. But the moment they try to put more, the files become corrupted.

Jay2TheRescue, JFB and palandri like this.
  4. BBR

BBR New Member

My Phone:
    att for now
    Wireless Provider(s):
    att,flash
    I may be in the wrong forum . However If I purchase a unlocked phone with a clean esn ,can I go to whatever carrier I want?

5. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @BBR: There are two major transmission networks here in the USA. The legacy GSM (AT&T and T-Mobile) and CDMA (Verizon and Sprint). Eventually, those will all merge down the line through LTE. The other consideration is the transmission frequencies (aka "bands") used by each carrier. They are NOT the same in every market although the carriers are competing to buy up frequencies in each market to standardize what is used. To keep it simple, what you need to do is research the bands that the phone you want uses and whether it was originally homed on a GSM or CDMA network. You then need to see if that band is supported in your area. In SOME CASES (not all) a Verizon phone will work on Sprint and visa verse. The same goes between AT&T and T-Mobile. This response is admittedly an over-simplification but gives you a good overview.

Jay2TheRescue likes this.