Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

F Customer Service

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Airb330, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Worthless people. They refused to send me a refurbed a 920, fine. They hung up on me twice (and this was when I was super polite). They gave me 9 numbers to Sprint stores, ALL OF WHICH WERE OUT OF SERVICE. Yeah, I spent 1 hour trying to get a working sprint number for a store. At least when I finally got one (from a Nextel store), they were nice. They said they'd definitely try to get me a loaner if they can't fix it. I was really ready to go back to Cingular, screw the savings!!

2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Why do you need a new phone? I gather from your sig you have insurance and ESRP...as for finding numbers to Sprint stores...the Sprint website has those. Getting them to actually answer the phone is another battle all together.

With Sprint, if you have a phone issue you have to take it in. Customer service won't care because they can't see the problem you are having. And if customer service notes your account, the stores don't have to abide by the notes. So it is best to go to the store directly from the beginning.

3. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    So Cingular does exchanges in store now?

4. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    A)I don't have time to get to the store until mid-Friday, not their fault really. I know.

B)I'll be without a phone for probably a week, since they'll generously let me keep the defective one until the "new" one comes in. They never have a920 refurbs. This is unacceptable.

C) They could have given me the DARN number to the store. Yet, some still hung up on me, or gave me invalid numbers, or numbers to Hytek Wireless, which is a Nextel dealer. Wtf, that's why I'm mad.

I know how Sprint is completely backwards compared to Verizon and even Cingular, I accept that with my rate plan haha. But, CS was so worthless it was laughable. I might ask for a Sanyo 8400 if they'll just do that. I like the a920 better spec-wise, but these phones keep breaking!

5. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Nope! I am guessing they maybe have better coverage where Airb is...AFAIK, of the major companies, only Sprint/Nextel (if you have their protection plan) and Verizon (under phone warranty) offer in-store swaps.

I had my BB swapped in-store for a new device last month.

6. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No, but neither does Sprint really. They never have a920 refurbs anyway. So with Sprint I have to go to the store TWICE (to pick up the phone).

At least with Cingular, you can just use the mail. Yeah, still stuck with a broken phone, but much easier.

Verizon, generally, is still the best. Though at the end of my contract in 04 they were getting nasty with swap outs with customers I noticed.

7. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Interesting how Verizon is the only one to really do in-store swaps. I went in after my one year warranty was up with no other insurance on my phone and they just wanted the phone to have the latest Software version, and after they updated that they gave me a FRU. No problem.

8. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The problem with my phone? It was set on "Automatic".

Well DUH!! Of course.

What. The F***. Is Wrong. With Sprint?!

I actually argued with two stores over this. No, my phone doesn't get a horrible signal due to that. It's rediculous. I guess I'm going to have to accidently drop it, and claim insurance. Wow, $50 down the drain. I think I hate Samsung as well, because these a920's keep getting horrible signals. Screw you Sprint and Samsung.

9. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I know this will sound like a stupid question, but has every a920 you have had had the same problem? Do other Sprint phones not have this problem?

10. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It's not likely that 3 A920's could be defective. They generally have a good reputation around the forums.

11. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's what I was thinking...the A920 is one of the few Samsung phones that seems to have a very good reputation.

12. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yes but Samsungs in general dont get a very good signal.......their tough to deal with sometime.......my mom has the A640 and its usually ok i can hear her when i cal her but she can hear me breaking up and im calling her from a landline........it will crackle in and out but never drop.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 7130e: BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

You're right. And I would still never recommend a Samsung to anyone on sprint, I was just pointing out that the A920 seems to be one of the few Samsung models that is a good phone.

14. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I disagree. I don't think there's much difference among the newer Sprint phones whether it be Samsung, Sanyo or LG. A few years back it might have been a different story.

15. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    its possible that the suckiest brand works different with different services.......some of it rely on the strength of the network too.....

when my moms phone roams on Verizon it has full bars and crystal clear quality.......

FYI: Verizon is running 1900 and 800 in my area

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    But there is a difference, even if it is a small one. My BlackBerry has never once gone into roaming at home, whereas my Sanyos (9000 and 8300) would and still do.

17. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes, the first a920 I had did the same thing. The phone will not lock onto the closest tower. At home, it finds a tower about 10 miles away in Maryland. So, it gets a -105 signal and cannot complete calls. It does this occasionally all over the place. So, it means the phone is unusable unless I force it to roam, or I turn it off a few times. I'm sure some people wouldn't notice it, but I do. It's the exact same problem. It's certainly not caused by being set to automatic. :rolleyes: Love Sprint service and pricing, store/611 customer service is just rediculous.

18. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    But you know for certain that another make/model will work correctly?

19. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Why wouldn't it? I doubt all Sprint phones randomly lock onto *far* away towers. I haven't heard this problem ever before. I love the a920, I really don't want another phone, I'd take an a920 that just functions correctly lol. I played with the Sprint phones, and I prefer the a920 over all the others, though the Fusic was nice.

20. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well I suppose if there is some sort of tower issue going on, the problem may not be handset specific.

Not being there to see what is going on with your phone though, I can only speculate.

21. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The issue doesn't happen on my mom's old Virgin phone (Kyocera 2119b). In fact, that thing sucks in reception. I get -78ish signal outside. Best I've seen with my a920 is -83 and that is rare. Oh well, I love the phone!

22. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The -xxdbs is not as important as your EC/IO. The EC/IO is usually what determines signal quality. A -102 dbs signal can be just as good as a -85 dbs if the EC/IO is less than -10 on both phones. I've seen a lot of variables like that.

23. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Dead thread revival time... (came across looking for an answer to an 8400 problem)

Almost guaranteed Airb330 your problem WASN'T the phone, but your phone number. CDMA phone default to a certain channel based on their phone number. If your phone hashes out to one of secondary channels in an area and it sees any glimmer of that channel, it will lock onto it. The only thing that will fix this is to either A)Change your number, B)Have the carrier put that channel on the closest tower to you or C)Switch to a carrier that has a tower with your default frequency closer to your home. This problem only affects CDMA carriers and was designed to balance the traffic load in high traffic areas.

24. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Ah dead threads!

But now I have another question...how does this phone number issue relate to other CDMA "problems" such as pilot pollution.

For instance, at my home my signal will fluctuate between -90db and no service. That is a very wide range. So what might cause this wide variation? I thought I knew, but now I will be interested in what possibilities exist.

On Sprint's coverage map I am only in a "good" coverage area.

25. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    I know I know, dead thread revival. But to your issue, the hashing concept can play havoc on a phone IF you're near a multiple channel border. Say your phone defaults to channel 2, if two channels are available to pick. A few blocks away all the sites are channels 1 and 2, your phone will want to work that channel two. Now let's say all the towers near you are only channel 1, but your phone is still hearing that channel 2 off in the distance. It will still ignore the local channel 1 and hop to that channel 2.

So if you're in an area that see multiple PN's, and several of those have channel 2, your phone will lock on to them, even if they are poor coverage.

26. jacpur

jacpur New Member

Re:

This post is also about Sprint Customer Service (Actually Sprint does not service its customers except spread over a table from the rear) . We were happy with Sprint until our contract ran out two years ago, and when they did not match Verizon's deal for new phones, we switched over to a Verizon family plan. From Verizon we got 2 LG phones that I never particularly liked but which never gave me any problems either. (I dropped it on the street 2 or 3 times & it just kept working). We decided to go back to Sprint when Verizon's contract ran out in late August and got two mediocre Razor phones that were not much improvement on the three year old LGs. We went on vacation the 1st or 2nd week we had the service & happened to get a flat tire in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere. I had a good signal but when I tried to call AAA, I got a phone sex site. Thought I misdialed but got the same site the 2nd time. My wife dialed and got the same. I called Sprint Customer service & explained that someone had hijacked AAA's number and was defrauding Sprint customers who were trying to contact AAA. I told him I needed road service badly and could he please connect me with AAA. He told me that customer service was not permitted to connect to an 800 number. I told him that I was 66 years old and that I would endanger myself if I tried to change the tire at night on a dark narrow road. He basically said too bad for you. I changed the tire myself in the dark with cars rushing past at 60-70. The next day when I called Sprint to complain, they told me that Sprint had its own road service for $4.00 a month and that AAA was Sprint's carrier for the service. I asked why hadn't the guy at their CS told me that the night before and how could it be that I could not get AAA either by calling its 800 number or by having Sprint connect me through their contractual ties with AAA. They couldn't answer that and offered no appologies for the fact that I might have been killed because of their stupidity. I wanted to quit then and there but my wife seemed to feel that the incident was an anomaly, just bad luck for us because the CS guy din't know enough or have any sense.

On Tuesday this week we got our first bill from Sprint for two months service plus all the initial connection charges. I called them for an explaination of some of the charges and they were able to satisfy me. I told them this was the first bill we had from them, they said the first bill had been sent early in September. I told them that I planned to pay the bill in full on Thursday. They never said there was any danger our service would be shut off for non payment, but bright and early the next morning my wife's service was off but
    not mine. She got on the phone with them and gave them a credit card number expecting her phone would be turned on immediately. AT 10PM When she was ready to drive home from work through Brooklyn and her phone still did not work, it required another 20-30 minutes of high stress, threats and anger to get the phone back on. This is absolutely the most screw-you-I-don't-give-a-damn customer service in existence. I called Verizon yesterday to settle Verizon's final bill and the difference between its customer service and Sprints was like night and day.

I kind of like T-Mobile because it is cheaper and has a wider selection of phones, but I'm hearing a lot more bad things about its network than good. I live and work in Manhattan and least three people on this forum and elsewhere have said they had trouble getting T-Mobile service in down town Manhattan. Only one said he did not have trouble. Not scientific but good enough for me. It's back to VZ.

27. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Let's say you throw in two different NID's into the mix as well. Will that make it even worse? :D

28. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Re:

Sorry to hear about your troubles with Sprint. The general consensus is that, while NO Customer Service is perfect and some people will always have problems with customer service of any company, Sprint has a ways to go to get their customer service in act.

29. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Re:

I absolutely agree with you Andy. I have Sprint and Verizon right now and I have had semi-bad experiences with both companies while on the phone and through e-mail. When I had Cingular a few years ago, I also had a bad experience with them. The good thing about the experiences was that I got them fixed but sometimes, it took a few tries to correct my problem.

30. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Yes, because your phone can only be on one NID at a time and in your case, the calls always come from the other NID :D