Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Expert: Cell tower would lower home values 5 to 10%

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by larry, Jun 3, 2005.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Expert: Cell tower would lower home values 5 to 10%
    Published in the Asbury Park Press 06/2/05
    BY JEAN MIKLE
    TOMS RIVER BUREAU

TOMS RIVER — Homes on Chadwick Beach Island that are located closest to a proposed cellular telephone tower could lose 5 to 10 percent of their value if the 130-foot structure is built, a real estate expert testified at Tuesday night's Dover Township Board of Adjustment meeting.

Paul R. Johnson, of Johnson Realty Services in Sea Girt, was called as a witness by Edward F. Liston Jr., the Toms River lawyer representing the Chadwick Beach & Yacht Club Inc., an association whose residents are opposed to the construction of the cell tower at Chadwick island Marina, Strickland Boulevard.

Johnson said he based his estimate of lost value on the importance of a water view to the values of houses in the Chadwick island area, which he said have been selling for $600,000 to $700,000.

"This location is unique because the focus of those homes is on the water, and that view counts," Johnson said. He referred to the tower as "an industrial structure" that will alter views of the water.

Hundreds of nearby residents oppose the tower application, saying it will hinder their views of the water and lower property values.

But lawyer Richard Stanzione, who represents applicant Mesquite Tower Associates, LLC, repeatedly objected to portions of Johnson's testimony, saying the real estate expert had presented no empirical data to back up his claims.

The tower would be used by Cingular Wireless and Omni-point, which operates T-Mobile, to cover a gap in cellular telephone service in the area.

Wireless antennas would be housed inside the tower, which would be disguised to look like a flagpole.

The tower would be similar to a 140-foot tower located on Route 37 West near Mule Road, and Stanzione asked Johnson if he had done any studies of home values near that tower or those near another cell tower located at the East Dover Fire Company on Fischer Boulevard.

Johnson said he had not, and added that he could not do a comparison of recent sales near existing cell towers in the barrier island area because there are none.

He criticized a report presented in August 2004 by John Gillooly, a real estate appraiser who was hired by Mesquite Tower.

Gillooly said his study of a comparable flagpole-type cell tower in Randolph indicated that the tower had no impact on home values. Gillooly said he made his analysis by looking at sales of the same home before and after construction of the cell tower in the Morris County town.

Johnson said that the homes in Randolph were located on half-acre to one-acre lots, on tree-lined streets where the visual impact of the tower would not be as great.

Lots on Chadwick Beach Island are much smaller, and there are hardly any trees, he noted.

Noting that 90 percent of Chadwick island residents use their houses as seasonal homes, Johnson argued that an unobstructed view of the water is paramount to each home's value.

Earlier in the evening, Ross R. Sorci, a radio frequency expert hired by the objectors, testified that two smaller towers, one at the Ocean Beach Fire Company on Kittiwake Avenue, and another at the Dover-Brick First Aid Squad on Route 35, could fill the gap in service as well as the 130-foot tower at the Chadwick Island Marina.

There is no tower now at either site, although Sprint has an application before the zoning board to build one at the Ocean Beach Fire Company.

Residents of that area are expected to object to the Sprint application.

Jean Mikle: (732) 557-5729 or jmikle@app.com

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050602/NEWS02/506020397/1070

#1 larry, Jun 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2005
  2. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Gee a Flag pole will destroy the view of the houses on the water? How large of a flag pole would it be?

3. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

The tallest "Flagpole" tower I've ever seen was 140ft. Also, the flagpole tower blends in pretty. Besides since the "Yacht" club has Yachts at it don't you think the mast on the Yachts would be a visual impairment? There are probably more of them. :browani:

4. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If the pole looks anything like the 1 bobolitto took and posted the picture of, then I don't see an issue at all. Maybe the Lawyer for the tower company should have printed the picture from here to show how nice it looks. ;)

5. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Those same people that object to the tower will be the first ones to complain that their phones don't work. I see it all the time in my area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

yup, & if those same whiners could spend that much time & energy more wisely and fight their elected leaders in DC, etc. we'd all be paying a simple 7% flat income tax while filing zero paperwork every april :) our kids wouldn't be getting blown to smitherenes on a daily basis u know where.
    the list goes on....

7. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

Seriously, how many people here have the time to attend one of these things? Too busy making ends meet week to week right? Thought so, me too:)

8. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    There is one of those flag pole antenna's in Shipyard Plantation on Hilton Head, it looks perfectly fine...I don't see what the big deal is, with landline displacement getting so big now, actually having wireless coverage should help property values.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    huh? WTF is that? Did I miss something? Did he interview people? Even that is questionable since opinions don't mean much until you have to put your chips on the table and buy a home (I'm watching poker on TV right now :D)

10. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I think the flag pole would be prettier to look at then the inside of those stuck-up snob's nostrils.

11. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Which NIMBY was making that baseless excuse?

If that's true, I guess we need more towers in NJ. Housing prices are on a constant hyper trend in this area. Some experts say there's a financial bubble in the real state industry right now and it is bound to explode anytime. My house right now is just about double the value it was when I bought it in 2001.

Here is what Fire14 is talking about in case anyone missed it:

http://gallery.wirelessadvisor.com/showimage.php?i=471&c=34

[​IMG]

12. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

hehe, 10 bux says that yacht club in question above has more than one flagpole as it is today. If not, it's run by a bunch of commie bastards...

13. Suliman

Suliman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Katana (2)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Millenicom
    What college do you attend to become a cell tower expert? :D

Suliman

14. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Is that pic the ultimate hide a tower??

15. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Sarcasm warning!

OMG! That flagpole is gigantic. I can't see any of the sky in that picture. How can people live in the shadow of such a monstrous pole?

End of rant.

I'm reminded (by myself) of the Simpsons episode when Mr. Burns puts a big, round plate in the sky to block the sun and drive up energy consumption.