Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Experiment in Rochester NY w/GSM

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by pfp, Nov 9, 2002.

1. pfp

pfp Senior Member

Hey, I'm just looking for someone with an unlocked GSM phone in Rochester NY for an experiment I wish to conduct in this area involving the new GAIT simcards and also involving me running around w/a SWEET GSM phone on here with my Cingular service (as I'm an employee).

Anyone who has an unlocked GSM phone up here in Rochester and would be interested in meeting up with me, probably sometime in the next two months so I can just do a test (before I spend money I don't have on a GSM phone and find out I'm wrong) which will probably take about 5-10 minutes, feel free to reply to this thread or send me an e-mail.

Thanx!
    P

2. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Cingular switching to GSM up there soon? I know that T-Mobile isn't impressing anyone up there according to you. I have a question for you, how does Cingular get away (in NY) with its TDMA system, the 'home' plans do not even include NYC...that stinks [​IMG]

3. pfp

pfp Senior Member

T-Mobile doesn't upset anyone, but usually people get their credit checked here first and fall back on it...

Actually, what I'm trying to do is this:

Pick up a GAIT phone on a home plan sometime in the next month (we're launching GAIT really soon in this market)

Pulilng the sim.

Popping it into a GSM phone.

Trying to roam on the T-mobile network, no roaming charges b/c I'm in my home area.

So I get the best of both worlds. My own companies service, no roaming, and a awesome selection of SWEET GSM phones to choose from.

But before I go out and buy a t68i or a v70, I wanna try it out. I'm not POOR, but if I spent the money on a cheap GSM phone to find out if I could get a better one, I'd feel it was a waste. And if I bought a GOOD one, and it didn't work, I'd be really shot, so I wanna meet up w/someone who can just let me test out the card in their phone. I know the cards are compatible (from research done by members at Howard's) but I don't know if I'd be able to roam on T-mo with Cingular up here.

Oh yeah, regarding NYC not being in the home area...I can understand your feeling but really, for anyone here, a trip to NYC is not a weekend event. My customers are hundreds of times more likely to be upset by the fact that they have exhorbitant roaming charges in canada than by the fact they're roaming in NYC

P