Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Excellent Explanation of iOS & Android Differences

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by M in LA, Mar 9, 2016.

1. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    http://bgr.com/2016/03/09/iphone-6s-vs-galaxy-s7-comparison-ios/

"If you value customization above all else, Android is the platform for you. If you want the freedom to use apps that control core Android features with almost no restrictions imposed by the operating system’s creator, it’s Android all the way. But if you want a simple and versatile user experience that is impossibly smooth, Apple’s iPhone is the clear choice. And if you want a third-party mobile app experience that remains miles beyond anything else available, iOS is it."

This is the best explanation I've heard of the true difference between the two top mobile operating systems, IMO. Having both of them, I completely agree with the author's assessment. It is also why I prefer iOS over Android, personally. I really like them both, with iOS in first and Android in second.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I'm not sure I can swallow the statement: "if you want a third-party mobile app experience that remains miles beyond anything else available, iOS is it."

When I talk to friends on iOS and mention apps that I love and use, they look at me dumbfounded as if, "wow, I wish my phone could do that." I tell them there must be a iOS equivalent, but search as they might, they don't find it. Yet I continue reading supposedly "informed" writers that claim that iOS has much better apps than does Android and that in cases where a developer has made it for both, the iOS version is usually better. I cannot verify either claim. I just know that what I do have (and use) is very capable and useful to me.

3. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    It goes both ways. Android has apps Apple doesn't and vice versa. What the author is referring to is the look, feel, and operation of apps on Apple is better than Android. Having both, I agree with this. Though it is subjective. Android is not bad or far behind Apple at all. It's just the fluid, simple way iOS works versus Android. In my experience with both of them, everything he said was how I feel, NOT at Android's expense. Technically, the S7 Edge is better than the 6 Plus. It's newer and is top of the line. The 6 Plus is last year. But regardless, the 6 Plus will remain my main phone, with the S7 Edge will be my secondary. I just prefer iOS now versus Android. I've had the iPhone since last May and it quickly became my favorite for this reason: "If you want a simple and versatile user experience that is impossibly smooth, Apple’s iPhone is the clear choice".

Once again, this is an example of "to each their own".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    KevinJames likes this.
  4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I was blown away how polished the iOS apps looked versus the Android counterparts. Yeah, Apple tightly wounds stuff together, but I could not handle the lack of control.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @M in LA: I do more readily agree with your viewpoint/analysis that "it goes both ways." For those, like yourself that have experience with both (beyond just the cursory "review" by those writing articles), I give a great deal more credence to.

(I recently read an article written by a Forbes writer that showed their obvious ignorance of the Samsung product they were reviewing when they spoke about a feature that has been in the system for years and yet they spoke of it as a new feature.)

6. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    My bias is obvious and reinforced by the fact that my Android experience is limited. That came about because iOS preceded Android, I was the first or one of the first iPhone users (3G launch) and I have not had any strong motivation to the make a change. Seems like an effort with unclear advantages for me.

So for my benefit can some of you list the top 5 'control/customizable ' features and/or Apps that Android has and iOS doesn't have?

I'm actually curious and not interested in a battle. The number 1 reason I hear has involved rearranging the Home Screen layout. That never has been a strong reason to me, even in my Nokia days.

And OS only. Not hardware comparisons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 viewfly, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  7. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    One thing to keep in mind is that as the years go by the features of each OS are getting reacher and closer, so some of those may no longer be true.
    1. Ability to use a custom keyboard app (I hear iOS 9 has finally incorporated that)
    2. Home screen widgets
    3. Ability to use custom apps for system functions: phone, messaging, etc.
    4. In addition to a dedicated Home button, dedicated recent (double-tapping home has never been my strong suit) and dedicated back
    5. I much prefer the Android notification system to that of iOS (collapsible per-app notifications), full developer control over notifications (although that has much improved in iOS 8)
    6. The ease with which I can transfer files to and from the device. This includes music, ringtones, etc.

8. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I think I am qualified to reply since I have more Android experience than iOS experience. So here's my top 5.

1. Yes the home screen layout is a biggie for me as well. Without the ability to arrange it, there is no point in having a favorite picture as the home screen.

2. The "At a Glance" info displayed by the widgets as opposed to the pull down on the iOS. I can quickly glance at the screen and see my next meeting, the weather now and extended, and various other relevant information without touching the device.

3. I can buy and download from the Kindle Store with the Kindle App on Android but not on iOS, need to do it from a browser.

4. Ease of transferring ringtones etc on Android.

5. Custom keyboard, although now available for iOS is not as good as the ones for Android.

The plus side of lack of customization on iOS for me is I am not always changing things or "always playing with my phone" as hubby puts it.

Sent from my iPhone.

9. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Incidentally and out of idle curiosity, what is the reverse? The top 5 iOS features that Android has no match for? Built-in support for audiobooks comes to mind…

10. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @dmapr: One the main features that iOS users site to me is "ease of use." Probably the next one is no fragmentation of version (at least that's what I've heard).

dmapr likes this.
  11. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Since I mostly get to use iOS when I need to help my wife with something to me the "ease of use" is a myth :D

The lack of fragmentation is real and I would truly appreciate it as a developer, but it wouldn't affect me as a consumer.

12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thanks dmapr and Charlyee for the lists. It was interesting to read and I gave it some deep thought. Reviewing them, there is still mostly emphasis on the Home screen options, and notifications, as I expected. That come up a lot in comparison reviews.

I guess if these are the top 5 ( from a sample of two ;)), these reasons are not going to move a lot of phones off the shelves, for either Android or iOS. I mean, for me ( thinking like dmapr, for the moment), keyboards, home screen layout, and widgets are not important to me,so I don't care. Notifications I can see, but it seems one gets use to what one has. Sort of like having the car ignition switch on the wheel, dash or center console like my old Saab. It is what it is, and more things are important on cars.

I rarely transfer ringtones, and when I created my own, it was simple to move between phones. I mostly use Amazon on safari on my pad or iPhone, since it has more options than the Amazon app. So buying books is trivial. I really have no issues with file movement; it's easier now, and Instashare has always worked well. So does the iCloud Drive.

I do remember playing with my Nokia home screen, because there was not much else the Nokia dumb phone could do ;).

So maybe we have come to the point, where logical selection of an OS is not the factor, but just how one 'feels' about the OS or apps when using it. It's more emotional than specs checklists. ???

Maybe that explains why the Android vs Apple wars are so intense for some. It's love, not reason.

Regarding dmapr's question, my experience is limited with Android. But with iOS I really love the simple integration between all my devices. For example the password auto entry keychain that carries over between my iPad, iPhone and MacBook for webpages,without any effort on my part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    @viewfly — yes, absolutely; once you get used to something it feels natural. I would actually go even further — the Android style notifications on iOS would feel unnatural to me and vice versa.

Yes, I hear "integration" a lot. Not important to me, I don't use the Keychain for anything other than SSH keys and in general avoid the use of "cloud sync" as I normally do not want to use the same webpages on different devices.

14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Gosh! I wish I had a nickel for every time I researched a menu, national park or other web page on my iPad or Mac at home/hotel only to call it up again when I'm on the road with my iPhone!
    Sharing is great.

@KevinJames. What are those apps you were talking about?

15. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I just stash the necessary links in a note, no need to sync 25+ other tabs I have open :D

16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ah, that's the beauty of it! No pre planning required; it's just there!

17. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    vf, it's too funny sometimes how you and differ completely on a feature.

I typically find it irritating to see on my phone what I have searched and opened from my iPad or Mac. If it is something I need to refer to from different devices, I just bookmark it or save it in my reading list.

18. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Besides, any search I ran will be readily available on the phone as well, no planning required either. I don't know what "it's just there means", but like I said, I really don't want to have all of my tabs open on the phone, especially considering that half of them won't even be available.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

19. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    @dmapr and @charlyee

I agree 100% that this discussion is very funny. A zero or 1 step process/feature is not more convenient than a multiple step process, and one that requires some forethought? That is what you are trying to convince me of? I do get the 'I don't care' argument, but the other? Cheez

I'm also wondering if you two have used iCloud sharing? Ever? Your description is far off from reality.

No Tabs from your other devices are 'open' in Safari. There is nothing to see or be annoyed about nor clutter your view. Even when the little 'tab' icon is pressed, one only 'sees' the tabs on your iPhone. The iCloud tabs from your Mac or iPad are out of view, and only when you swipe upwards, are the titles of those pages are shown. Click on one, and then, and only then is it added to the mobile Safari browser.

As another way I use it, early in the morning in bed, I may browse for something that I thought of, find it on my phone, and then when up, can view it on the larger screen iPad or Mac. Nothing to bookmark, search in the bookmarks and open later. Nor even decide if I need to use it later.

Easy peasy, and a great feature on any device.

20. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Vf, maybe I am unable to explain to you what irritates me.

Here is a screenshot from my iPhone, that shows what I was looking at on my iPad. I have no need to have them show up on my iPhone in the Safari tab view. I am done looking at them, so I have to make sure I close tabs out each time.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone.

21. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Couple more irritations on this integration issue.

1. Reminders that have been completed and have been marked as such from iPad or iPhone, still show up on the Mac and have to be manually taken care of.

2. iMessage or text message will show up on both devices which is a good thing but deleting from one does not delete from the other, and again needs manual intervention.

Maybe these don't bother you but they certainly do me. :)

Sent from my iPad Air 2

22. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Charlyee, you 'gamed' the example a bit, no?

Going to 'tab' view only shows your mobile safari web pages, even if there is only one.

In your example, you took the extra step to swipe upwards.

Here are examples of what I mean...

1)Multiple mobile pages; 2)One mobile web page, and then 3)swiping upwards to show the iPad tabs (of which there are 12 or so).

So, I don't see it as annoying in photos 1 and 2 below, as that is the default view and you don't see the iPad titles at all. But If it bothers you, it bothers you. However your example is gamed a bit, IMO.

This is a bit ridiculous, really.

[​IMG].

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    No I did not "game it" as you term it.

Yes I did scroll up and always do, to see if the web pages that I typically leave open on my iPhone are still open or closed them out by mistake.

You and I can have different opinions of what is important, it is strictly a user experience, no?

Maybe we can now move on to the topic of the thread. Where is KJ when you need him. :D

Sent from my iPhone.

24. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    @viewfly, no, naturally I haven't used iCloud tab syncing at all as I have nowhere and nothing to sync :) So I was mostly referring to (again theoretical as I don't use it either) Chrome tab syncing. Which is a similar concept.

The bottom line is that if I deem some information important to me I'll take the manual step of saving it because I know the end result. Any magic cloud syncing may or may not happen, but I will never take it for granted.

25. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    What I don't get in all this banter about this Safari Tab integration feature, is that you if don't need...

1) why scroll down to see your iPad tabs, if they annoy you. All iPhone tabs can be seen without doing that. They shrink in size as you add more, so that they all can be seen in one view.

2) It is a feature. If it is truly annoying, why not turn it off: Settings-> iCloud-> Safari -> Off.

Anyhow, I was asked what IOS feature I like, and that is one of them: Integration. If your were asking which feature has some remaining bugs (like your iMessage issue), that's a entirely different question.

Dmapr, I appreciate that you have a method to save a webpage in an Old School fashion, instead of Cloud sharing. I suppose I could email photos back and forth between my devices, instead of using the cloud. That is old school too. ;)

And yes, where is Kevin James???

26. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Yes, you said it was one of the features you enjoyed and I said it was something I didn't care about. As far as I was concerned the discussion of this feature could have ended there and then

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

27. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Idle curiosity killed the thread.

As I said I don't use Android enough to be an authority. Nor the chrome browser either.

So mistakenly I suggested browser iOS integration among my iOS devices as unique.

Correcting my error and replying that Chrome also allows cloud synching similar to Safari would have been sufficient. Whether or not someone uses it in Android or iOS is a different question and yes an opinion only, but also an optional feature.

Nothing wrong with opinions. Your reply was appropriate as was my counter reply on how I use tab synching.

It could have ended there, IMO, and moved on to hear about Apps missing in iOS as I tried to do.

#27 viewfly, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  28. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I thought we were talking about the entire integration, not just the web pages, but since you gave examples of some of those integrations I felt obliged to explain why they don't matter to me -- just as you took the time to explain why the features topping Android list weren't important to you. I didn't really expect the discussion to veer off into what I'm missing out on by not caring :)

charlyee likes this.
  29. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dmapr, viewfly and charlyee like this.
  30. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    One always misses out on life, by not caring. :)

Which is why I jokingly mocked your typical knee jerk response in other threads, with my reply earlier in this thread:

And yet you do care about efficacy with Android features that are missing in iOS. ;)

#30 viewfly, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016