Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Everything I know about setting up the Nokia 7210

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by carrolldf, Jan 2, 2003.

1. carrolldf

carrolldf Junior Member

The following was extracted from multiple messages on this forum and consolidated into a single message. The contributors (original posters) of this information are:

GatewayJen
    spyder22
    JJ3
    Ghostrider
    carrolldf

(Note: This all applies to TMobile using TZones)

MENU - SERVICES - SETTINGS - EDIT ACTIVE SERVICE SETTINGS
    Homepage: http://wap.myvoicestream.com
    Session Mode: Temporary
    Connection Security: Off
    Data Bearer: GPRS
    GPRS Access Point: wap.voicestream.com
    IP Address: 216.155.165.050
    Authentication Type: Normal
    Login Type: Automatic
    User Name: (leave blank)
    Password: (leave blank)

MENU - CONNECTIVITY - GPRS
    GPRS Connection: When Needed

MENU - CONNECTIVITY - GPRS - GPRS MODEM SETTINGS- EDIT ACTIVE ACCESS POINT
    GPRS Access Point: wap.voicestream.com
    Messages/Message settings/Multimedia msg./Connection settings
    Edit a new connection, give it a name - let?s say ERX and make it active.
    Edit active multimedia settings
    -name - ERX
    Homepage (this is the MMSC address) - http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
    Session mode - permanent
    Data bearer - GPRS
    GPRS access point: wap.voicestream.com
    IP address: 216.155.165.50
    Authentication type - normal
    User name - leave it blank
    Password - leave it blank

If you have t-zones, your phone's email is your telephone#, ie 5555555555@tmomail.net.

Nokia Multimedia Settings
    Save sent messages: no
    Allow multimedia reception: yes
    Incoming multimedia messages: retrieve
    Allow adverts: no
    Email server number is 500

I have now successfully sent several messages to the 7210 from my regular email account. One of the secrets seems to be that the filename must not have any spaces in it. The first ones I tried were long files names and just came across as text but when I renamed them to short files names with no spaces, the same file worked fine and came across as MMS. The manual says files size must be not more than 30KB and can use JPEG, GIF, PNG, OTA-BMP and WBMP. I used JPEG (*.JPG) and sent a file as large as 27.4KB -- the stored size on the phone is 7.2KB. I sent the files as attachments to the messages and also sent imbedded in the message -- both worked.

2. joethus

joethus New Member

hey carroll
    ok i got the wap settings right, cuz i can go to various wap sites like club nokia on my phone. but, i cant send multimedia messages (from my phone to an email account) can you help? when it asks for the email server number i put in 500, but it says message sending failed.

ps how did u get an american nokia 7210? mine has british english not american english.......

3. Ghostrider

Ghostrider Junior Member

YOU GO GRRLLL!!! You made it too easy, why didn't I thunk of this before???

I bought a second Nokia on ebay, an 6590i. It's unlocked, features are very similar to the 7210, minus the color screen. It has a blue screen, which I like. Now if I can just get the "Wipeout" ringtone......................can't find this damn ringtone!!!!

From your friendly neighbourhood........Ghost®

4. carrolldf

carrolldf Junior Member

Joethus, glad most of it is working. If email server 500 doesn't work, I don't know since that worked on mine. You may have to call TMobile to ask unless someone else knows a different one and posts it here -- if you find a different server number, let me know and I'll update this message to show that one as well.

If you want to send an email to me at my hotmail account (I got one from you previously) with your phone # email, then I'll try sending a MMS message to your phone from mine. Ghost did the same for me when I was setting up and I found this helped me troubleshoot to finally get everything correct so want to pay it forward.

I got my 7210 (with American English) through Ebay from 4cellular.com. I'm pretty sure I saw mention in one of Aiwapro's messages that his are also American English (he'll correct me if I'm wrong). Which vendor did you get yours from -- it may make a difference to someone else considering the purchase. I don't think it would have mattered to me if I'd received British English -- actually I think that would be kind of cool. (One of the reasons I wanted a Trimode was to be able to use it with a local SIM when I travel to Europe. Guess what one of my favorite places is.)

Ghost -- the 6590i sounds neat. But. I'm not sure I really want to get more than one phone as tempting as it is...I have enough trouble figuring out what to wear everyday without having to decide on which phone to use.[​IMG]

5. mstefans

mstefans New Member

Thanks for your very helpful msg - I've programmed my 7210 (on T-Mobile) and everything is working great - EXCEPT MMS. I've checked and double-checked everything, and the only thing I can't figure out is the email server # - I can't figure out WHERE that command is located.

Can you help?

Thanks.

6. carrolldf

carrolldf Junior Member

7. markusck

markusck New Member

Thanks for all the great info on setting up for tzones and my Nokia 6610, same settings as the 7210. The only problem i have right now is that i cannot recieve mms messages or email. Everything else is working fine, can send mms, email, phone calls, etc. Could it be because i am out of my home area, traveling on business. ANy other ideas? Anything else i should check? Do i need to tell the phone what my phone number is somewhere? Any advice appreciated. Thanks all.

8. carrolldf

carrolldf Junior Member

Not sure. Yesterday, none of the test messages I sent went through. This morning I tried again and they all worked.

I don't know if it would matter being out of the home area as long as you are still on TMO but you could be right. I havent' travelled since I got the 7210 plus I have the national plan so if the phone works at all, I'm guessing it will all work for me. Hoping someone who has travelled out of their home area will know and reply.

9. sweetny

sweetny New Member

just got a 7210 a couple weeks ago and just signed up for t zones. was able to send e-mail to phone but not vice versa. also have trouble connecting using gprs. some of this i have no clue to, tho followed settings you posted. how long did it take for tzones to become active for you? also, on phone in some places there are sets 1-5 listed (active service setting) and access points 1-5 listed (modem settings). what are these and when do you choose another besides number 1? any help is appreciated. luv my new phone but much to figure out.
    e